First time drilling seed blend question.

5 year old buck +
I am renting a Haybuster 107 to no-till 5 acres of pollinator blend, 3 acres of nesting blends and 2 acres of alfalfa/clover mix. Having never used a drill before, I am reading up on the calibration instructions, but am wondering with such a small (in terms of acres) amount of seed, should I add filler such as
"clumping" type cat litter (about the same size as clover seed) or Milorganite? The seed investment is $1500 alone, so with the drill rental and time factor, I don't want to mess up!

If the drill is designed for the seed you're drilling, you shouldn't need to add filler. Generally I think filler is required when broadcasting the finer seeds.

I'm renting the Truax drill from my county this year for the 3rd time to plant switchgrass, CRP blends, and pollinators and won't be using any fillers. Of course each mix will be calibrated at the required rate for planting.

Reactions: 356
I am renting a Haybuster 107 to no-till 5 acres of pollinator blend, 3 acres of nesting blends and 2 acres of alfalfa/clover mix. Having never used a drill before, I am reading up on the calibration instructions, but am wondering with such a small (in terms of acres) amount of seed, should I add filler such as
"clumping" type cat litter (about the same size as clover seed) or Milorganite? The seed investment is $1500 alone, so with the drill rental and time factor, I don't want to mess up!
Not sure if you need the filler....but I would not be afraid of either of the two you mention here. I have used them in my drill when originally setting it up. I liked using pell lime the best when setting up for depth....as it was easier to see than the others. If you use lime or milorganite....just be sure to clean the drill really well after....as you could get some corrosiion if deposits remain in the drill. My 2 cents.

Thanks for the feedback. I will be anxious to see how drilling works over broadcasting.

I have a Land Pride 606NT. I have never used any filler of any kind in my drill and never will. It just isn't necessary. I have successfully calibrated and drilled alfalfa/clover mix at 20#/acre, switchgrass at 8#/acre and RR Sugar Beet seed at only 2#/acre. Seed was planted accurately in all cases in the small seed box. Large seed box is also a no-brainer with no filler needed.