No-Till over stumps?

It saddens me to hear advice offered and advice taken about renting a drill to avoid damaging owned equipment. All you do is force the damage cost to others. Others may include the next habitat forum user. How many times has one of us complained about the condition of a rented drill or diagnosed a poor seed distribution after planting with a rented drill? IF any repair/maintenance is done by the owners of the rented equipment it’s slim.
Farmer Dan, the two chapters I rent from thoroughly inspect the drills before and after use. Renters have to sign a contract saying they'll incur repair costs of any kind while they have possession of said drill. These drills have drilled thousands of acres and are built for the conditions they are used in. P4ever knows what they're going to be used for and bought accordingly. The drills are made for that job.

Nobody is trying to get away with anything.

With the stumps be extra careful not to turn with the drill in the ground. Maybe relief the disc downpressure on the unit a bit while you do it. If you do buy a drill, find one with options and aftermarket support with cutting disc selection.

I'm thinking broadcasting would do ok if your prescribed burn went well. Broadcast, then run the tractors tires in close close rows to act as a cultipacker. IF you can burn two years in a row, you'll be looking pretty good I think.

Brillion, woods and others have a more basic seeder that uses spike rollers. Might be worth trying that if you can use it. Not sure if they consider that a fluffing harrow instead of no till.

with this agreement, can you do any surface prep initally? A little scratchup with some C-tine harrows could go along way with both drill and broadcast. you can usually buy them for 3 or 400 bucks.

Speak of burning. Buy a few bags of charcoal and pick an area you want done a little bit better. Get a hoe and quickly scrape and extra inch or two around the base of the stump. Put a 1/4 bag on each stump and light them. Once the fire has calmed down, put any scrap metal on top of the stumps, like drum lids. These guys can burn for days. Im hesitant to add kerosene to the stump. I think the oil that doesn't burn preserves the wood from rotting.

With most burns, you build a fire break. It would be very irresponsible not to plant some quality forage in those areas.

Reactions: 356