Drilling grains into standing clover

bossgobbler

Yearling... With promise
Howdy everyone! I am set up and ready to use the no-till drill to plant some wheat, rye, and oats this week.

For reference I am in southeast Ohio.

I will be planting roughly 2 acres of a blend of wheat, rye, oats, turnips, radishes and clover. I’m renting the county no till drill for $100. I can plant anywhere from 0 to 12.5 acres for $100. Currently I’m only going to be planting 2 acres.

I have a separate field that is currently a nice stand of clover. I’m wondering if I could drill my cereal grains into the clover with any success? I don’t want to mow the clover any lower. It’s probably 12”-18” right now. I have plenty of seed. Any opinions out there? I was just going to broadcast it into the clover in early September but if drilling it is effective I will go ahead and do that this week.

Thanks for any advice!

A couple tips. You are a little early for cereal grains, it may get too rank by the time you want it. Great time for turnips, radish, rape, etc. Also, if I had to choose, I would drill the brassica into the clover, over the cereal grain. But, I don't think you'll have much planting anything into 12-18" clover. If you're going to stick with drilling cereal grains into the clover, wait till labor day and mow it shorter then drill.

I have drilled a similar mix into my clover, alfalfa field with good results.

My clover is not as tall as yours and I typically Drill when mine is recently cut, 7".

I'm not familiar with your Drill but I would talk to the county and get their input on how well it will perform in 12-18" clover.

I would not worry about roughing up your clover as I have found clover responds well to light discing.