First Task In Spring?

SD51555

5 year old buck +
What's the first project you're gonna bite off this spring?

I've got a three way toss up between:

Paint cabin interior
Rip and relocate a hundred ditch spruce
Begin gathering hoog fill

New propane tank and new propane company.

What's the first project you're gonna bite off this spring?

I've got a three way toss up between:

Paint cabin interior
Rip and relocate a hundred ditch spruce
Begin gathering hoog fill
Start spraying. I have a lot of grass fields to kill. Probably north of 20 acres

I've got a 3 acre hemlock clearcut to begin to clean up and de-stump.

Three or 4 other pretty decent burn piles to torch.

And going to begin felling all the ash on my property. EAB just showed up last summer. Don't want to wait until it's all dead. Dead ash is one of the most dangerous trees to take down IMO....it's dead limbs tend to cause havoc and it also has a tendency to barber chair.

Burn off and then spray cool season grass regrowth and so that I can be ready to drill in some NWSG and forbs.

Feb .... repair cages damaged by bucks, make new cages, erect/construct steel frame for new shooter house
Mar 1-14 ... direct seed chestnuts and oaks; after 3-15 start to fertilize

Bush hog my nwsg and then spray the fescue trying to come back in - if it is not too wet to get a tractor in the field.

Plant trees as soon as the ground allows it.

Until then its chainsaw work (releasing Oaks, canopy thinning, cover creation), stand hanging and stand site setup (chainsaw work to direct travel), and buckthorn killing.

I wanna get back one or two more times while we're having a mild winter and get back on the saw myself. I wanna get some inroads made into my sanctuary so when I come back with the digger, I can roll right through and make the trail so I can get the firewood out easier.

Instead of a bunch of projects, I have ONE main goal: create the best rut funnel through the heart of my property. I’ve already put about 2 hours into it so far. The bottom (lower in elevation) side of the pinch has a decent cut/ditch and my stand is just above it. So I hinged every tree along the ditch so nothing can cross behind me and I also stacked brush about 10 yards in front of it. This is a narrow strip so it won’t encourage bedding. Then I picked out a tree 35 yards away on the other side of the funnel and stacked brush and hinged behind and in front of a second stand. So for either a South or North wind I will have a phenomenal funnel, with deer travel effectively manipulated no closer than 10 yards and no further than 25 yards from either stand.

It needs a few more hours including assembling and placing sticks and stands. All of this for a spot that will likely get 3 or less sits a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Managed to get a bunch little projects hammered out on this very mild 1st weekend in February. Walked the 4wheeler path around the property cleaning up branches and trees that came down in the last month or so. Cleaned out all the bluebird boxes(12+) here at home but still need to do the 2 dozen others up the road at my uncle’s place. Would have done the wood duck boxes also but didn’t have any wood chips and didn’t want to run into town. Also trimmed the yard apples, got some brush burned, hen house cleaned and out put on the raised garden beds, started on redoing my bee yard but the ladies were flying so I didn’t get to finish that project.
Next up is some frost seeding clover one evening after work this week

Dad and I took the tractors to my furthest farm and bushhogged a 6 acre field. I will spray it at green up and plant about 2 acres and lightly disc the rest. 1 project done, 8000 more to go.

P.s. if anyone wants that mobile home come get it…please.
IMG_3999.jpeg