First stud from my own land.

What did his teeth look like?

My wife killed an old warrior last year that had zero teeth ......all gums

bill

Nice buck!
any idea how he got that green coloration on the antler?

What did his teeth look like?

My wife killed an old warrior last year that had zero teeth ......all gums

bill
Nubbins. The taxidermy said probably 6-7. That is ancient here. They said oldest they have ever seen is 9 and 6-7 is about the limit.

Very cool buck, congrats!

Nice buck!
any idea how he got that green coloration on the antler?
Guessing he shared the bed of a ranger with some tordon or dye!

Awesomeness..

Congratulations.

Great buck, The first old giant buck one gets on the farm is a sweet feeling, but the following ones are pretty close to it. Keep up the great work.

Story time. Home, showered, and sipping some woodford.

So, I actually shot this deer Friday.

I was hunting a new stand for this year. My land is parceled up into 20-30 acre units, basically for burning. The timber was cut 3 years ago, and it has been replanted in longleaf. My land is very hilly. This year, I made a native grass area at top of hill where stand is (elevated buck hut) and three wildlife trails that run from stand (wagon wheel). The trails run on ridges, with big hollers in between. The hollers are thick thick stuff, of still timber the loggers couldn’t get to.
IMG_2764.png
Each spoke is about 400 yards. I sprayed them with imazapic and triclopyr last year, so all native grass. I mowed a lane down them before the season. I’ll seed native forbs this winter.

I was in the stand Friday around 300. Sunset is 445 with last shooting light at 515. I use a handheld thermal to scout (don’t judge me). I have found that on sits where I might not see a deer, if I use thermal I might see 20. They just blend in or hide in grasses and shrubs. I had 4-5 different groups of deer I was watching and I saw one solitary deer in left trail at 230 yards. When looking with my rifle scope or binoculars there was a small tree with a bunch of regrowth suckers and I couldn’t see the deer. I kept checking back on it, the deer unmoved, when finally I saw a branch swaying. Then I was like “that’s no branch, thanks antlers!” The Heart rate went up for sure. I waited and waited and he didn’t move, I had no shot. At around 505 he finally stepped out from behind bush/tree and quartered toward me. I shot him with fierce reaper 6.5 PRC, Steiner predator 8 2-16 scope, and federal 130gr terminal ascent. It is by far my favorite factory ammo. I saw him drop but couldn’t see him anymore.

I waited for maybe 5 minutes. I like to wait longer but it was literally dark. He was down the left wildlife trail. When I got to the spot, I found the spot where he went down and flopped around. A small bit of blood but no blood trail. I used thermal, I searched, I want north onto neighbors property. I could not find him. I was about as down as I’ve ever been hunting. Evidence of my search.
IMG_2727.jpeg
Saturday morning my wife had to Work and I had kids. Then it was bama game and we had plans so couldn’t go back till Sunday. Sunday it rained all day long.

So I went early this morning. I sat in same stand and saw 2 bucks but wasn’t interested. At 730 I started searching again. I walked all the way down left trail to the fire lane at north boundary, then turned right. I looked all in that gully between left and middle wildlife trail. I then walked back down the middle trail and found him about half way. As the crow flies it was 40 yards away. I don’t know how he made it over there though through that gulley and thick stuff.

IMG_2732.jpeg

Remember he was quartering toward. I put the shot right where I wanted. But it hit that shoulder and exploded it. So no exit wound, no blood trail. Man was I happy though! And what a brute.

A pic of my hunting rig and some of my native grasses.
IMG_2734.jpegIMG_2740.jpeg

Great buck, The first old giant buck one gets on the farm is a sweet feeling, but the following ones are pretty close to it. Keep up the great work.
Thanks Willy

Awesome deer ‘cron! Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice Buck Omi......gotta read about it soon. Congratulations!

Congrats on the great deer!

Very nice.

Nice bike too. Feeling a bit anitquated on my dull red honda rancher and old lever gun.

My Polaris bed had die from my seeetgum killing last week. Haha

Ask my wife and I never notice anything. 🤣

But that stuck out to me.