first crop of apples!

wklman

5 year old buck +
ResizedImage_1410649351895.jpg Well the apple trees in my orchard are on their 3rd leaf this year and I decided to let them fruit for the first time. It's not a whole lot for all the trees that I have but it's a good start. They're mostly Honeycrisp with some sweet sixteen, snowsweet,wealthy, zestar! and state fair mixed in. Kinda neat to see the first fruits of all the labor put into it.

Last edited:
We just made 4 quarts of apple sauce and a pie yum yum

Nice looking apples!

We picked 5 5 gallon pails of apples today. Sadly 4 dead trees that need to be replaced again. I have had a helluva time keeping the newly planted trees alive. I keep replacing a few every year.

Yeah, I loose a few each year myself. Mostly my own fault but this year's winter didn't help much either. I've found out that apples need some attention that's for sure.

Looking good Wklman! How many trees are you planting per variety? Thanks!

If I remember right I think I have 300 honeycrisp, 100 wealthy, 50 zestar, 50 snowsweet,16 sweet sixteen, a couple of state fair trees and a few plum of which I forget the variety. It's 5 acres that I fenced in on a southern slope.

If I remember right I think I have 300 honeycrisp, 100 wealthy, 50 zestar, 50 snowsweet,16 sweet sixteen, a couple of state fair trees and a few plum of which I forget the variety. It's 5 acres that I fenced in on a southern slope.

Thanks for the info Wklman! Those Honeycrisp should provide a nice cash flow in a few years...;)!!

Thanks for the info Wklman! Those Honeycrisp should provide a nice cash flow in a few years...;)!!

Yep, that's what I'm hoping for. I'll be retiring in about 9 years and the apples will be what keeps me busy while creating a little extra income.

Yep, that's what I'm hoping for. I'll be retiring in about 9 years and the apples will be what keeps me busy while creating a little extra income.

I hope to do the same thing - not sure on acreage yet - What type of sprayer are you using?

I use a 25 gallon fimco sprayer and spray captan and imadan about 3-4 times a year. I live in AZ and go back every spring and fall to do maintenance in the orchard,and of coarse hunt. I hire my Amish neighbor out to spray and mow around the trees during the summer while I'm gone.

I use a 25 gallon fimco sprayer and spray captan and imadan about 3-4 times a year. I live in AZ and go back every spring and fall to do maintenance in the orchard,and of coarse hunt. I hire my Amish neighbor out to spray and mow around the trees during the summer while I'm gone.

Thanks for the reply - I appreciate the information! - Sounds like you keep yourself pretty busy... Sure helps having good neighbors.

Thanks for the reply - I appreciate the information! - Sounds like you keep yourself pretty busy... Sure helps having good neighbors.

that's for sure. I don't know what I'd do without all the help I get from my neighbors. They keep an eye on the property, help me put in food plots, keep up the orchard, pull me out when I get stuck, and a ton of other things. I'm blessed with some good ones.

How did the wealthy survive the winter?

What rootstock are your trees on?

Looks good Wade how was the corn

ResizedImage_1410123038205.jpg
Looks good Wade how was the corn

the corn is looking great Lee. The animals are hitting it pretty good but that's what it's there for. Thanks again for giving it to me.

What rootstock are your trees on?

I'm not sure on a couple of them but mostly b118 and m7. I tried getting mostly b118 but with so many trees I had to take what I could get. They all seem to be chugging along good.

How did the wealthy survive the winter?
They survived it ok. I lost about 20%of them but I'm not sure if it was due to the winter or if they don't like my soil. Wealthy are my slowest growers and are taking their sweet time putting growth on.

ResizedImage_1410645270467.jpg

These were planted at the end of may. Spray(with some help from stu), seed and pray. They're a bit spotty but the deer don't mind and they will be in them hard once it gets cold.