Firminator G3 Review

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
Got to test out my new Firminator G3 6’ 3 pt model this weekend. I will try to do a little review of my experience, questions welcome.

Hooking up with my tractor was pretty straight forward with the 3 pt. The weight of the Firminator is 1750 lbs and my 3 pt will handle 2300 lbs so no issues.

index.php

You can check it out if you like on my Land tour thread, page 4 just scroll down to the middle ...

Firminator review

Last edited:
Some close-up pics of the seed box, where the seed box drops out too, and the cultipacker wheels would be great.

Also, how aggressive you need to set the discs for a no-till situation.

That tractor looks alot like the 2012 L3200 I had

Tractor looks more like a MX5800 hst model. I have the same tractor with the same loader. Not fortunate to have the hard top for shade though.

Some close-up pics of the seed box, where the seed box drops out too, and the cultipacker wheels would be great.

Also, how aggressive you need to set the discs for a no-till situation.

That tractor looks alot like the 2012 L3200 I had

After I get done planting tomorrow i will post some pics.

Thanks. I am making my own seeder for an ATV based on the firminator / landpride APS series seeders. Disc cultivator, then large seed box or broadcast spreader, then cultipacker with a small clover seed box ontop, then likely a 2nd cultipacker or weighted roller, to cover up the clover between the cultivator divots. Thinking 2ft or 2.5ft pass. Got most of the parts.

Tractor looks more like a MX5800 hst model. I have the same tractor with the same loader. Not fortunate to have the hard top for shade though.

That is correct ... MX5800

I planted 10 acres in soy beans. The seed box has 7 seed ports and held 4 bags. Could probably squeeze in a 5th one.

IMG_20220604_133806.jpg

Scrappers on rear cultipacker kept it clean. The depth of the scrapper tabs can be adjusted.

IMG_20220604_112004.jpg

Scrappers in between the discs kept any debris from building up. On my old disc plant stalks & soil would build up and would have to use a dry wall saw to cut out & clean. A real pain. With more tall fibrous cover crop plantings I think this will be a real good feature.

IMG_20220604_114818.jpg

I’ve only just started using my new 6’ Firminator but came up against an issue with the size of the seed hopper being so large it would be impossible to plant a 1 acre clover plot (any small seed) without putting 25# of seed in it.

I spoke with William at Ranews and he sent me drawings and a pic to make this seed plate for my G3 which will allow me to only use the amount of small seeds required for the smaller plots.

7 Mountain Dew bottles, HDPE 1 x 6, 1 1/8” spade bit, JB Weld Plastic Bond, and 4 150# magnets from Harbor freight to hold it in place in the bottom of the hopper.
1654694280071.jpeg

I’ve only just started using my new 6’ Firminator but came up against an issue with the size of the seed hopper being so large it would be impossible to plant a 1 acre clover plot (any small seed) without putting 25# of seed in it.

I spoke with William at Ranews and he sent me drawings and a pic to make this seed plate for my G3 which will allow me to only use the amount of small seeds required for the smaller plots.

7 Mountain Dew bottles, HDPE 1 x 6, 1 1/8” spade bit, JB Weld Plastic Bond, and 4 150# magnets from Harbor freight to hold it in place in the bottom of the hopper.
View attachment 43671
Couldn’t you just use a cover crop as filler and help the clover grow?

Maybe but my plan is to put my nurse/cover crop down on the first pass with the discs straight plus cultipack. Then plant my small seeds and pack again.

Don’t want to hijack……just thought I’d throw it out for anyone interested..

I’ve been using Firminator a while. It has a wide dispersal of seed, so some will get down in the trenches from straight discs, while others will be on top of ground between disc areas. Then cultipacker will push all of it down.

If anything, you could just roll back over whole area with cultipacker after seading run, but probably not necessary.

I just bought a drill also, because I’m crazy. But I love how firminator plants. I talked to green cover guys about why they use a seed mix and not split into the small and large seeds. They find that even smalls seeds that go in the trench do well because the bigger seeds growing up opens spots for them to grow. They find clover and such does great even if in trench. Not worth it to separate for a food plot, even with a two seed box Drill. That’s what Grant Wood does also.

Don’t want to hijack……just thought I’d throw it out for anyone interested..

You didn't, looks like a great solution to optimize the Firminator for small seed.

Thx. I’m really looking forward to getting mine truly dirty the first time. It’ll be on about 6 acres in far NW Wi.

I had a pro break all my plots open about 2 weeks ago. I’ve been hand picking out the bigger rocks the last 2 weekends before I attack it with the Firminator to start preparing all my seed beds for early fall clover, oats, and brassicas.

It’s my first experience picking rock. Can’t say I recommend it very highly. Definitely not the best way to end your day..

First year on the new property though……so I’m running on adrenaline and Red Bull.

***. Until I bought this property I bow hunted just outside Neshkoro for about the past 12 years (Marquette Cty). One of the true “sleeper” places left in WI to kill giant bucks IMO. I have a couple on my wall from there and saw a couple that nearly put me into cardiac arrest. Filled the freezer MANY times. Beautiful area for sure!!!

***. Until I bought this property I bow hunted just outside Neshkoro for about the past 12 years (Marquette Cty). One of the true “sleeper” places left in WI to kill giant bucks IMO. I have a couple on my wall from there and saw a couple that nearly put me into cardiac arrest. Filled the freezer MANY times. Beautiful area for sure!!!

Know the area well :emoji_wink:

Used to turkey hunt a fair amount west of Neshkoro. But like many areas, neighbors can make a difference. Let's just say when the uncle sold his side and realtor broke it into small chucks and now permanent homes and folks all wanting to hunt their 10 acres things have changed a bit.

I was blessed to be welcome free-for-labor on a 200 acre farm surrounded by even larger properties who all pass young bucks and shoot too few does (40+ DPSM). So I walked away from it to 250+ acres almost as far N as you can go in WI (5 DPSM??).

Hence the “need” for a Firminator to start making my own, slightly different, hunting paradise.

I’m going to be discing all of my plots this weekend, my first serious use of the G3, and will try to add a few thoughts to this thread……once I go through the learning curve.

How much do these firminators cost? Kinda tossing around getting a compact tractor again, like a kubota BX. Could run a 4ft one with it.

Last year for a 6’ G3 with upgraded cultipackers, including shipping, was just under 10.

They also made it to be Cat 1 I-match compatible for no up charge.

I know it’s expensive, but it’s also not “all in” like a GP drill.

The people at Ranews have been great. I like that.

William Yancy is great. I always talk to him personally. Let me know if you’re thinking of buying one and I’ll send you his contact info.

I had a small issue with mine a year ago, and the tech hooked up with me by phone while he was driving to talk me through the issue. Somewhere along the line, one of my outer disc got loose. I kept using it and the nut was forced out some, stripping the axle threads and nut, also breaking a hub. Sent photos to Mr. Yancy on Sunday night, asking for a quick fix. He sent me an axle, hub and nut at NC overnight. Got it today. Don't see service like that anymore!