Fireblight... How do I go about removing this?

Rally1148

5 year old buck +
So this has been ID'd, on here, as fireblight. It is on a wild tree that until recently had little to no air movement in a swampy area. While I can see that pruning and letting light in, causing new growth, could easily make blight more probably, I find it hard to believe that it was the cause for this tree getting it. I guess what I'm getting at is maybe this is a a blight tolerant tree.

My main problem with removing this stuff is that it's on a lot of the main trunks. I say trunks because it's a wild tree. My thought is to get a branch that'll be the new trunk, and let it grow this year. Next year (winter) cut all of the blighted wood out, leaving a great root mass with a new shoot. Is this how I should go about this? I'm not sure I can find any new branches with which to do this, but it's all I've got at this point. If I were to find a branch this summer that is below the blighted areas, should I cut the rest out right now?

I'm sorry I don't have pictures of the whole tree. I'll be getting some this weekend when I'm back at the property.

IMG_20150526_130236_335.jpg IMG_20150526_130246_384.jpg IMG_20150526_130251_117.jpg

Which side of the tree are we looking at?
Is it exposed to winter sun on the south or southwest?

South side I believe.

I'll be getting better pictures of all of my trees this weekend. I have a bunch of questions on almost all of them, so I'll be making sure to get good ones.

I should also add that while there are a few trees above it (one pin oak and a birch) it definitely gets full (6+ hours) of sun.

I wouldn't automatically call that fb...it may be, but without seeing some leaves with the classic "shepherd's hook" I'm not sure. Without seeing a lot more pics...I wouldn't do anything right now.

YESSSSSS I'm SOOOOOOO hoping that this is the case!

South side I believe.

I'll be getting better pictures of all of my trees this weekend. I have a bunch of questions on almost all of them, so I'll be making sure to get good ones.
If you only see it on the south side and on portions of the trunk exposed to the winter sun, think of sunscauld.

I am not an expert by any means. Listen to others more than me.

That's awesome. I'm really hoping it's that. The tree next to it has some fireblight of the blossoms, which I'll be cutting out this weekend, but that one has no blighted trunk as far as I know.

Of course your wild tree may be the vector of disease for the other tree with fireblight on the blossoms :eek::D

I know, but I'm amazed that these trees are even alive at this point. 15 feet away is ground that is always soft, and they are in a sort of frost pocket. It's kind of crazy that they are there.

Good trees to have then, if they throw up rootsuckers they'd be good rootstock to use in similar growing conditions.

I've even thought to use some of their seeds as seedlings for rootstock.
Rally,

I agree with the others. If there's no brown leaves and shepherds hook then this may be sun scald. I'd remove that diseased limb on the left side in your lower photo. That may have ants or borers in it. Best to remove that regardless.

Will do!