Finish a blind or use as is?

bjseiler

5 year old buck +
I was by myself, and only had a couple hours last weekend, but I was able to throw together a blind on some old running gear. I only had a drill and some old scrap barn roofing and pallets. The long sides are done and it has a roof. I wheeled it into place last weekend not knowing if I would get back before the season to trim the extra metal, finish the ends, etc. First day I will hunt is Oct 5. Do I leave the blind as is, not disturbing the location and putting scent in, or go bring it back to the house and finish it off tomorrow?

I know a lot of people here like to put blinds out and stay away from cameras a several weeks before hunting. Just curious on the tradeoff and what you think. Disturb it and have better cover and more comfort when I hunt or leave it... FYI, this will be for both turkey and deer. Crossbow.

I have a couple Shadowhunter blinds so this will be roughing it a bit but I love the mobile aspect.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 109
I was by myself, and only had a couple hours last weekend, but I was able to throw together a blind on some old running gear. I only had a drill and some old scrap barn roofing and pallets. The long sides are done and it has a roof. I wheeled it into place last weekend not knowing if I would get back before the season to trim the extra metal, finish the ends, etc. First day I will hunt is Oct 5. Do I leave the blind as is, not disturbing the location and putting scent in, or go bring it back to the house and finish it off tomorrow?

I know a lot of people here like to put blinds out and stay away from cameras a several weeks before hunting. Just curious on the tradeoff and what you think. Disturb it and have better cover and more comfort when I hunt or leave it... FYI, this will be for both turkey and deer. Crossbow.

I have a couple Shadowhunter blinds so this will be roughing it a bit but I love the mobile aspect.

Depends on if getting it is normal activity. If I am out in a tractor the deer aren’t scared too bad because they see tractors as normal. Changes in what’s normal are what I avoid if I want the deer pattern to stay the same. Good luck.

Any field activity you do now can impact your hunting this fall ... try and live with what you have, new blinds should go in in the spring ... or minimize the scent you leave behind.

Last edited:
I'd take some camo burlap and thumbtacks with me on Oct 5 to close up the ends and cover some Window openings.

Get it soon and set it outside to air out..

I like it as is, but I'm a cheap redneck at heart.

Camo it up some and use it. My "finished" ones don;t look much beyond what you have. Get some paint, some burlap and some branches and camo it in as much as you can......and kill deer!

I'd staple black plastic across the back and ends and dress in black and use it if the wind is right, and you can enter and leave without ruining the area. you can brush it in but sometimes the more you change things the worse it gets. One time i decided to scrap up piles of leaves with my boot to mark 20 yards for bow hunting. The deer came down the trail like clockwork, saw the plies, stomped several times, snorted and took off. That was before range finders.
I've hunted out of an old junk combine before, worked great. Just wore an old red coat, blended right in. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to leave it as is and just bring in some (aired out) burlap the first afternoon we hunt. Pulled the memory card on a camera near by and there are deer walking past every afternoon so I don't want to mess that up. I guess I will either finish it before rifle season or just wait until next year.

We set 2 new shooting houses Sept15 and won't be back until it's time to hunt. As already mentioned if it's activity they're used to or done far enough in advance, won't pay much if any attention by hunting time. This time of year in many areas combines, grain wagons, and tractors are perfectly normal...your blind looks alot like a grain wagon so if there's ag around you it probably won't booger'em at all.

Any field activity you do now can impact your hunting this fall ... try and live with what you have, new blinds should go in in the spring ... or minimize the scent you leave behind.
Maybe maybe not I put my first one in on Sept and had pics in front of it the first day and killed a 5.5yr old buck the first year and almost killed a two. Not ideal but depends on what your are using the blind for and when. If my goal was to hunt it early leave as is if it is primarily for late season go ahead and finish it up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk