Finally! The Canning Meat Thread

And I have to say the canned deer I ate was the best deer I have ever had.

Maybe I was really hungry :D

This may be a whole new world for me.....and I like to eat! I'm not sure how my wife's friend does it, but I'm going to find out.

When I hear canned meat - I just have this image of spam in my head.

So you then drain off the liquid and toss the solidified fat before heating up?

This may be a whole new world for me.....and I like to eat! I'm not sure how my wife's friend does it, but I'm going to find out.

What I ate the whole Jar went in the crock pot juice and all.

Simply dump the whole jar in a pan and warm it up. I prefer warming it up in a slow cooker all day long. Maybe throw a can of cream of mushroom in just for the heck of it. And then eat it like hot beefs on a bun.

When I can venison, I only add a little seasoning salt, you can always add more flavors later.

The toughest part of canning venison is how long it takes. 90 minutes at 12 psi.

A year ago we canned 80 quarts in a day. We had 4 burners and 6 canners going. It took a whole day. Worth the effort :)

-John

Back when you started this thread I kept my mouth shut cause the stuff in those jars didn't look very good to me.

Since then a freind gave me some canned venison served on a roll for lunch. All I can say is I will have one of those pressure cookers before next season!
A convert! Welcome!