Deer as a red meat

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
It’s my understanding that deer has the same issue that cow does in regards to heart health. Per my doc buddy who consulted with his team of cardiologists, they all say eat deer/elk sparingly if at all (for the record they all avoid red meat). Reading the thread about last deer you killed, I see several comments about feeding your family all year with deer. I could eat red meat for breakfast, lunch and dinner but I choose to avoid it except once or twice a week. Makes loading the freezer an issue for me. For those who live off of deer meat do you worry about the risks associated or do you eat it sparingly?

I thought the intelligent science was changing on this. Oranges are good, then bad, then good again. Eggs are good, then bad, then good again. Right now my youtube doctors have me convinced lean red meat in modest portions is good for me.

I thought the intelligent science was changing on this. Oranges are good, then bad, then good again. Eggs are good, then bad, then good again. Right now my youtube doctors have me convinced lean red meat in modest portions is good for me.
I was just reading an article from Harvard medical where they were discrediting the research about red meat not being bad for whatever it’s worth. I’m just taking the second hand info from guys who look at hearts and arteries all day!

Here’s how I look at it. Both my grandmothers ate bacon,eggs and all kinds of beef. 1 died at 100 and the other was 97. I don’t think venison is going to hurt you. Now for today’s beef, bacon and such I’d be more worried about what they feed the critters as far as hormones and antibiotics

I was just reading an article from Harvard medical where they were discrediting the research about red meat not being bad for whatever it’s worth. I’m just taking the second hand info from guys who look at hearts and arteries all day!
Well that's no fun. What are those Harvard docs going to say next, don't drink anymore?

Well, I’m 76 years old and have meat at least two meals per day. My wife and I will eat two deer per year by ourselves. I just got through eating a bowl of deer/vegetable stew. I had a doctor’s appointment just a few days ago and he said my cholesterol was great. I have had one heart attack, a month after I took the damn covid vaccines, never any heart trouble before that. You can add that up for yourself. I am for sure not going to listen to “the science”. Fauci broke me from that ! At my age, it’s a moot point anyhow.

When you pump animals full of food they cant digest properly, and then give them antibiotics for them to be alright eating that stuff, thats bad meat.

Deer is not that kind of meat.....

It’s my understanding that deer has the same issue that cow does in regards to heart health. Per my doc buddy who consulted with his team of cardiologists, they all say eat deer/elk sparingly if at all (for the record they all avoid red meat). Reading the thread about last deer you killed, I see several comments about feeding your family all year with deer. I could eat red meat for breakfast, lunch and dinner but I choose to avoid it except once or twice a week. Makes loading the freezer an issue for me. For those who live off of deer meat do you worry about the risks associated or do you eat it sparingly?

What are the risks?

I say it’s the difference between being alive and living. Venison is delicious. Therefore I eat it. All things in moderation. If I could be guaranteed to live to 150 by eating plain oatmeal and soy milk, or live to 75 be eating steak and bourbon. 75 it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like juicy, marbled, almost raw red meat. Home grown no chemicals. Would eat steak every day if I could. Have ran every day since July 1995 and could very well die of a heart attack. No, I haven't heed their warnings.
Screenshot_20240113_211443_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240113_211459_Gallery.jpg

Personally, I don't worry about eating red meat. If I want a steak, I eat a steak. If I want venison, my wifey cooks venison. I do understand that a lot of people are very particular about what they eat but? Its not like we are eating red meat for every meal. I kill two maybe three deer a year because that is all we can eat. You only get about 30 to 40% of the animal as meat after skinning, gutting and boning it out. So a 120 lb deer is only going to be 36 - 48 pounds of meat in the freezer.

Just had steak salad tonight. The venison was so tender you could cut with a fork. Haven’t bought beef in 25+ years. Not going to start now.

I say it’s the difference between being alive and living. Venison is delicious. Therefore I eat it. All things in moderation. If I could be guaranteed to live to 150 by eating plain oatmeal and soy milk, or live to 75 be eating steak and bourbon. 75 it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hip Hip Horaay! I beat the 75 mark, made 78 in December and have never pushed back from a steak or a piece of venison. And I love good Tequia and whisky,

What is Tequia? I hate auto correct. It's TEQUILA!

1. I give zero regard to what any grid doctor says about anything health wise anymore. Even if you have a good one, he/she/meow ain't allowed to speak freely anyway.

2. You cannot group any single meat together as one. How it's raised determines whether it adds value to your nutritional needs, or sets you up for a shorter life and agonizing end. CAFO (hog barn/chicken barn/feedlot) animals are high in Omega 6 (bad) fatty acids and come up short on general nutrient value.

3. It's entirely possible if a deer is eating GMO feeds with pesticide residues out of a feeder that they can be developing a less than stellar product. Will one bag of corn for viewing reasons hurt them, likely not. But if a herd lives on the stuff, it merits consideration.

Here’s how I look at it. Both my grandmothers ate bacon,eggs and all kinds of beef. 1 died at 100 and the other was 97. I don’t think venison is going to hurt you. Now for today’s beef, bacon and such I’d be more worried about what they feed the critters as far as hormones and antibiotics

Farmer down the road from where I grew up ate Campbells chicken noodle soup every day and smoked two packs a cigarettes a day, lived to be 95 and was very active. Died in his sleep at home.

I almost would eat venison every day...we eat a lot of ducks and geese at our house maybe twice a week for months.

Good to hear. I love venison. Eat a lot of it yearly but just try to keep it to a couple times a week. TMAO is the compound in red meat that causes issues. Couldn’t remember the name earlier