Finally, I didn't kill a bunch of cuttings.

Bill

Administrator
I have 3 1/2 acres double E fenced. Been killing 1000's of cuttings every summer in the droughts.
Finally enough moisture to let them live! Where it looks like nothing planted there are small hybrid willows coming on.

0404CBF8-CF1C-45AB-BB2E-43FD41C24CB7-569-000000919569C71B_zps17fb5f71.jpg

And a road screen starting to take shape.

CAB7B369-5D49-45C8-9BC1-398B3D88BB32-569-00000091828095CE_zpsa86fdb4b.jpg

Poplar
Willow hybrid and weeping.
RO dogwood
Yellow twig dogwood
Button bush
Elderberry
And a few winterberry for the heck of it.

And 45 - 50 bare root American plum.

That's looking good. Can't imagine the frustration with so many failed cuttings!

We put in 1000 cuttings last year.... 99.67% failure on the entire bunch.... ow.

I honestly will not do cuttings again. I really want to, but not with that survival rate in hot dry conditions.

That looks great Bill. I, too, have had marginal success planting cuttings except for willows in wet areas. I'm assuming those are all in rows of lumite? How do you eventually get the lumite off? Or, do you just leave it on until it degrades?

Yea failed cuttings hurt but other than in drought years I've done OK.
Just stunk that we had two in a row.

Yes their in lumite. Every tree needs to be released from the lumite with a razor knife after the first growing season or they will girdle. I cut a small X.

After the 2nd season is cut a big X, I'll leave it there after that.

I see, that makes sense. I wish I could do something like that on my place, but every one of those would be eaten to the ground. This past spring we did cut some very large willow cuttings, put them in some wet areas, and heavily hinged onto them. When I was up a few weeks ago, many are alive, so we will see if they make it by the deer this winter.

I see, that makes sense. I wish I could do something like that on my place, but every one of those would be eaten to the ground. This past spring we did cut some very large willow cuttings, put them in some wet areas, and heavily hinged onto them. When I was up a few weeks ago, many are alive, so we will see if they make it by the deer this winter.

I hear you. The ones in the open get browsed bad and when they finally get bigger they get rubbed. Darn deer, that's why I had to double electric fence the 3 1/2 acres.