Final Thoughts and Learnings 2014

#1 Strike while the iron is hot! I found a dropping white oak and lots of deer sign and like a fool I waited too long to hunt it!
#2 I love tillers - I borrowed one for the first time and I am hooked now.
#3 Date all the deer meat - I just lost a dozen or more deer summer sausages due to freezer burn - DAMN!
#4 Always water first year containerfrui trees - I had a very mild summer andnearlylost a new container tree becaue I "assumed" it was getting enough water.
#5 I really like the cover NWSG provides - first full year in the ground and it grossly improved my CRP cover - I am expanding next year.

The brunt of my huning is about to begin so I am sure other "lessons from 2014" will come up.

They can not shoot within 500 feet of your house. How close were they?

Sure they can - as long as they own or lease the ground they're on, they can shoot 10' from your house: with you in it. 10' being the shortest setback I'm aware of.

I got "accepted" by a number of neighbors this year. They all commented how the deer hunting has improved since I have been doing 'my thing" with food plots and such. They all are seeing bigger and better deer this past two seasons. Two neighbors have said that they were going to hold off on does and small bucks. When I mentioned a neghborhood co-op.....they were all ears. WOW! Big strides. I think I may host a party this summer and see if we can take our relationship to the next level. :)

The point is.....you cannot be the new kid on the block.....and get everyone to do things "your way" immediately. It takes a little time to let it happen. Timing is everything. :)

Sure they can - as long as they own or lease the ground they're on, they can shoot 10' from your house: with you in it. 10' being the shortest setback I'm aware of.

Are you sure JIm? That is not how I read the rule?

Yup. You can't preempt someone else's use of their land by how you choose to use yours. The livestock corral is the only grey area in the regs, but I don't know how you could successfully prosecute based on where you chose to put your animals in relation to your lot line and someone else doing something perfectly safe and legal on theirs.

For instance - my neighbors have been called in to the Sheriff's department (by me) for shooting over a road into my property, and from the middle of the same road into their property (two different families in each case). Neither instance involved being any further than 100' from an occupied dwelling on neighboring properties. In both cases, that wasn't a concern - it was jackasses doing stupid chit with guns that made me call.

10' setback is minimum building distance from a rear lot line in Crow Wing County. I don't know why it's this short, but they decided that's how much you're allowed to crowd your neighbors on the sides/back. Probably has to do with all the 50' wide lake lots that never should've been divy'd up that small.

Where I live in Big Lake, I can shoot geese flying by as I sit on my deck. As my neighbors sit on their deck having dinner. Right from the Sherburne county Sheriffs office.
He highly recommended not to do it, but it is legal to do so.

However, I cannot have a friend over to shoot from my deck. He would have to abide by the 500' rule from dwelling, cattle, bla bla...

Basically my family, being I am the property owner does not have the 500' rule.

You'd have to authorize him to do it in writing per the 2014 regs, and then he'd be good to go.

I have a problem with lead leaving my air space. I just find keeping projectiles contained within land I control is the right thing to do. I wish others around me felt the same, but they've proven time and again that's not the case. :(

One big thing that I knew before but was reinforced this year...nothing, absolutely nothing draws deer better when its cold and snowy than standing soybeans.
Nope, corn!

I cannot understand the varying preferences of these spoiled deer!

Five years ago, I came to the conclusion that at some point you just have to enjoy what you have. I have returned to the ideas of shooting a deer that makes you happy. For this year, it was a yearling buck and I let a doe walk as well as her fawns. A mature buck is nice to see, but I do not have to shoot one.

I will still scrap with the DNR over excess doe permits.

I came to the conclusion that at some point you just have to enjoy what you have.

Never. May as well just dig a hole and crawl in if you are happy with what you have in my eyes. There is always more. Always better.

I sure hope my wife doesn't read that Brooks or I am in a world of hurt. :eek: As there is no doubt, she could do way better than my dumb ass :D....

My wife met your wife with Stu's credit card at the mall on opening weekend, and when asked what she thought of her husband, she told mine that she views you as 'A block of clay to squish and morph for the next couple decades.'

Sounds like you are safe.

Lessons learned/relearned from this year.

· If neighbor leaves corn to east and south of property hunt the east of the property in the morning.
Almost 200 acres left in the fields bordering my place this year.​
· When there is absolutely no wind and every noise can be heard hunt the east side of the property in mornings.
· Remember wind, wind, wind even if it is so slight.
· Check the wind when near the stand via puffer, have backup if different than anticipated.
· Strong winds can be used to your advantage to get to stands as wind will hide your presence from deer who are bedded close.
· In mornings get to deer stands near food plots 1 hour or more before shooting.
· Never drive the 4-wheeler to a stand.
· Best chance on quality deer is in the first couple days of the hunt.
· Hunting a small property for 9 days is too much and it is better to take mid week off.
· Deer at the end of the rifle season are hyper sensitive to any human scent or activity.

These are going to be added to the list of things to keep in mind when we hunt.

Something else I need to work on is identifying fawns. I screwed up twice this year and harvested fawns that I though where older deer - They came in alone and didn't take the time to look at the head structure. All said and done I shot 2 button bucks - I am not happy with myself. I have a rule on my place to NOT shoot fawns because of the high chance of it being male. My third deer I made certain was a true doe. I just need to focus more and slow down when given the chance. I know better, just got the better of me in the moment.

Lessons learned/relearned from this year.

· If neighbor leaves corn to east and south of property hunt the east of the property in the morning.
Almost 200 acres left in the fields bordering my place this year.​
· When there is absolutely no wind and every noise can be heard hunt the east side of the property in mornings.
· Remember wind, wind, wind even if it is so slight.
· Check the wind when near the stand via puffer, have backup if different than anticipated.
· Strong winds can be used to your advantage to get to stands as wind will hide your presence from deer who are bedded close.
· In mornings get to deer stands near food plots 1 hour or more before shooting.
· Never drive the 4-wheeler to a stand.
· Best chance on quality deer is in the first couple days of the hunt.
· Hunting a small property for 9 days is too much and it is better to take mid week off.
· Deer at the end of the rifle season are hyper sensitive to any human scent or activity.

These are going to be added to the list of things to keep in mind when we hunt.

All great points, Jerry.

Something else I need to work on is identifying fawns. I screwed up twice this year and harvested fawns that I though where older deer - They came in alone and didn't take the time to look at the head structure. All said and done I shot 2 button bucks - I am not happy with myself. I have a rule on my place to NOT shoot fawns because of the high chance of it being male. My third deer I made certain was a true doe. I just need to focus more and slow down when given the chance. I know better, just got the better of me in the moment.
I was explaining to my daughters that if they were going to shoot a fawn here at home, to try and shoot a buck fawn. Different goals based on your present population.

No fawns or does shot by our family this year.

Another major thing I learned from this season is too many food plots and too much food hurts your hunting. We have continually enhanced and expanded our food plots while deer numbers have only decreased. Yes, they have plenty to eat right now, but they can pick and choose what and where to eat. Plot placement is also key. Don't put plots that only help your neighbors. This year we had 12 different plots that equaled around 14 acres. Next year will be 9 plots totally 8 acres. We are going to focus almost all of our food into one area of the property in order to concentrate deer to eat in one location.

Too much land manipulation and in the wrong areas only hurts hunting.

I hear that all too well.

I feel that I should cut back on foodplots, except for corn and beans. Rye had a bit of use last year, but not much this year. As usual, brassica and radishes had very little use.

Rye will be good for an early spring foodplot.

One big thing that I knew before but was reinforced this year...nothing, absolutely nothing draws deer better when its cold and snowy than standing soybeans.

So true. We have almost every deer in our section coming in to our beans.

Corn is drawing in a couple borderline bucks too. I crossed my fingers and it looks like a few decent bucks made it through the gun season

One thing learned a number of years ago, but had no agreement / cooperation from camp members - we need more thick cover !!! And young, growing browse down at deer height. We have plenty of food plots, fruit trees, acorns, etc., but the deer leave our ground to bed on neighboring properties. Some of the guys finally had to admit that being able to see 150 yds. thru the woods wasn't making it. No good cover = no deer.

So for the last couple years we've been cutting in the winter ( puts browse down on the ground ) and planting Norway & white spruce and hawthorn in the cut areas. We get natural regeneration from seeds, stumps, roots, white pine cones, etc. As soon as the trees were cut down, the deer moved into the tops the SAME night !!! Tops became food & shelter in one spot. We left some young pines to provide some cover while the spruce and other regen. fills in. We'll cut another 3 to 4 acres this winter. More spruce and hawthorn plantings. Lesson: food plots without good cover is like a drive-thru restaurant - customers don't stick around !!!

Another major thing I learned from this season is too many food plots and too much food hurts your hunting. We have continually enhanced and expanded our food plots while deer numbers have only decreased. Yes, they have plenty to eat right now, but they can pick and choose what and where to eat. Plot placement is also key. Don't put plots that only help your neighbors. This year we had 12 different plots that equaled around 14 acres. Next year will be 9 plots totally 8 acres. We are going to focus almost all of our food into one area of the property in order to concentrate deer to eat in one location.

Too much land manipulation and in the wrong areas only hurts hunting.

Spot on. Have you ever posted a map of your place here with all the plots and improvements marked? Be a great learning tool.