Fertilizing clover plot

So lets take an annual like crimson clover for example.....I was under the impression that it wouldn't form nodules unless it matured and really did well.....and then at the end it would release the N......meaning that it didn't have any of that N available to it along the way for its on growth. Is it taking and making its own N from the atmosphere along the way?

So y'all set me straight here......I thought the N being produced in the nodules was not actually available until after the clover terminates.....at which point the N is then released.....No???

Well, yes, but no. A well nodulated clover plant is manufacturing N for it's own use. But, the same nitrogen is available ONLY for its internal use. The release of nitrogen into the soil and available for other plants occurs as parts or all of the clover plant dies.

https://www.agprofessional.com/article/how-do-clovers-add-nitrogen-pastures
The bacteria in these nodules take nitrogen from the atmosphere and put it into a form that the legume can use to make protein and grow. This process is known as nitrogen fixation.
How does the nitrogen get over into the grass? The legume is able to use this nitrogen to grow, but the grass surrounding the clover plant does not have access to that nitrogen. The grass can get that nitrogen through an indirect process. As the legume grows, producing new leaves and roots, there is the constant death and replacement of roots, root hairs, and leaves. As these plant parts break down in the soil, the nitrogen in these parts is released into the soil, then becoming available to the grass for uptake and use in growth. The nitrogen transfer is due to legume plants dying and the nitrogen being recycled.

Well, yes, but no. A well nodulated clover plant is manufacturing N for it's own use. But, the same nitrogen is available ONLY for its internal use. The release of nitrogen into the soil and available for other plants occurs as parts or all of the clover plant dies.

https://www.agprofessional.com/article/how-do-clovers-add-nitrogen-pastures
The bacteria in these nodules take nitrogen from the atmosphere and put it into a form that the legume can use to make protein and grow. This process is known as nitrogen fixation.
How does the nitrogen get over into the grass? The legume is able to use this nitrogen to grow, but the grass surrounding the clover plant does not have access to that nitrogen. The grass can get that nitrogen through an indirect process. As the legume grows, producing new leaves and roots, there is the constant death and replacement of roots, root hairs, and leaves. As these plant parts break down in the soil, the nitrogen in these parts is released into the soil, then becoming available to the grass for uptake and use in growth. The nitrogen transfer is due to legume plants dying and the nitrogen being recycled.

That is my understanding as well. We see the effect as clover fields age. N is released as individual plants die and over time we see the grasses and other N seeking corps have favorable conditions in a clover field. We we terminate clover many more plants die at once for a large release of N for other plants.

Thanks for the explanations fellas......:emoji_point_up_2:

I think this is also why Paul Knox used to till his clover under every year. Nitrogen was released for other plant/crop use.

I think this is also why Paul Knox used to till his clover under every year. Nitrogen was released for other plant/crop use.

Yes, if that be the objective. Let's take it one step further. Cover crops. I have to admit I've come to this only recently. I thought of cover crops as a way to reduce soil erosion - and nothing else. But....

You're not hearing it here for the first time - a cover crop will use the free nitrogen in the soil to establish itself and grow. Terminating the cover crop will return nutrients that would otherwise be lost in some fashion (erosion of soil where nutrients are attached, volatilization, moisture driven leaching) thereby saving some of you $'s spent to buy and apply manufactured plant food.

Clover is a special case of a cover crop whereby you are gaining multiple benefits!

Does it even need fertilizer? How do you know? Get a soil test, it's cheaper than fertilizer...