All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fast growing bushes

sean vesel

Buck Fawn
Hey guys I have a 10 acre field I want to cut up with a permanent screening. That I can walk down probably make the 15 20 feet wide. Looking for ideas on a fast growing bush I dont want anything that will get over 12 feet tall. I dont want to shade out to much food. I started planting mescantus on some of it but curious on other options

I've planted many varieties of shrubs and the one that surprised me the most was ninebark. In the second year it was already 5-6ft tall and fairly bushy. This was in an area with zero weed control as well so I was pretty impressed with the growth. I would get a shrub started and plant sorghum sudan for the time being.

Hey Minnesota fish is this who I think it is. I sent ya some fish pics on fb are you not on there an more.

We only stocked it once this year. But the ones from the following year mad it and put on a tone of size. We were catching 9 inch blue gills this summer. It was awesome. We were also catching baby sunfish in are minnow trap so they were spawning. So were on the right track. We will have to get together this summer.

I've planted many varieties of shrubs and the one that surprised me the most was ninebark. In the second year it was already 5-6ft tall and fairly bushy. This was in an area with zero weed control as well so I was pretty impressed with the growth. I would get a shrub started and plant sorghum sudan for the time being.

That's some good growth on the ninebark, I planted some 2yrs ago and they are only about 2-3'. How big were yours when you planted them? Mine were 12-18" seedlings

Last edited:
That's some good growth on the ninebark, I planted some 2yrs ago anr they are only about 2-3'. How big were yours when you planted them? Mine were 12-18" seedlings
They were about the same maybe slightly larger. I was really surprised cause I was looking for them down in the weeds and couldn't find them only to realize they were chest high.

Ninebark is a good one and can grow quickly given the right conditions. It is pretty hard to beat the hybrid willows and poplars for a fast screen. American beautyberry is another fast grower, but you don't want the deer browsing all your new growth, which you may have with ninebark as well, but it can usually keep up to the browse pressure better..

Hybrid willows would be a great screen starter but if you don't want anything over 10 ft. you would have to cut them at some point or trim them back. Which would be fine cause you can donate them to us for cuttings;)

I would suggest other willows if it is fairly wet or heavy ground.

I planted ninebark in Rusk County Wisconsin and they grew fairly slowly in the sandy loam soil. I believe they were planted around 2010 and they're around 3-4 feet tall now. The deer really seem to enjoy browsing on ninebarks, so I'm sure the browsing pressure also kept them from growing too quickly.

I think you'll have a tough time finding a shrub that grows rapidly to 10 feet and quits growing any taller than that.

If it was me, I'd probably go with a hybrid poplar or willow and just cut them down once they get too tall.

I planted ninebark in Rusk County Wisconsin and they grew fairly slowly in the sandy loam soil. I believe they were planted around 2010 and they're around 3-4 feet tall now. The deer really seem to enjoy browsing on ninebarks, so I'm sure the browsing pressure also kept them from growing too quickly.

I think you'll have a tough time finding a shrub that grows rapidly to 10 feet and quits growing any taller than that.

If it was me, I'd probably go with a hybrid poplar or willow and just cut them down once they get too tall.

what would happen if a hybrid willow or hybrid poplar sapling was bent down, staked, and partially buried under the soil?

Maybe a thicket?

I know both hybrid willows and spruce are hard to kill once they get growing, so I'm sure the plant would keep growing. I've had pretty good luck bending down and partially burying red osier dogwood with success, but since both hybrid poplars and willows can also be grown from cuttings I bet you would have success with them too.

what would happen if a hybrid willow or hybrid poplar sapling was bent down, staked, and partially buried under the soil?

Maybe a thicket?

Hybrid Willow and Hybrid Poplar will do GREAT. Grow them for 1 or 2 seasons (depending on tall they get the 1st season) and tie them down in the spring. Tie them to each other, or bury the end in the ground. All of the side branches will go vertical and create a LOT of cover.

Ninebark are excellent on the right site. I haven't figured out yet what the right site is. Sometimes they do great, other times they don't do much. Full sunlight seems to be the 1st key, not sure on the correct soil conditions.

-John

Check out the bucky hybrid poplar from big rock trees. I started some at home last winter in a Jake kit. I didn't get them outside as soon as I preferred due to poor weather so the stems were weak so once they toughened up they were bent all over the place, just want I wanted. The buckys had a ton of branches, some of the side branches were as long as the main stem. Out of 18 I think over 75% of them got over 6.5 ft tall. Sadly strong winds this fall seemed to bust of the top foot or so, so they ended up being shorter. I think this should make them more bushy when they start growing this spring though.

For the tree on the left I think the main stem was originally the one sticking out to the left, but the once sticking straight up seems to have taken over. It is fun to watch these things grow with how fast it happens! I may try tying some of them together, or tying them down this year or next year depending on how they take off this spring.

Think tying down poplars would likely prevent them from becoming "trees"?
I think eventually they would just look like trees even though tying them down will likely temporarily stun them a little. I found a number of large willows and boxelders growing in lines in my woods which was odd. After closer inspection these trees in rows were the shoots growing vertically off large main trunks that fell over at least a decade ago. Essentially just a natural version of what we're talking about.

I planted 3 rows by 200 yards long of hybrid poplar 5 years ago. They all average 20 foot and are only planted 3 feet apart but they are not creating the screen I wanted. They are way to open on the bottom. Bucks like to rub on them though.

I planted 3 rows by 200 yards long of hybrid poplar 5 years ago. They all average 20 foot and are only planted 3 feet apart but they are not creating the screen I wanted. They are way to open on the bottom. Bucks like to rub on them though.
Cut them down to about 3' tall and they with thicken up like crazy, it won't take long for them to get back to 6'-8', like by the end of the summer. Oh yeah, and you can shove the cuttings back into the ground and most of them will survive and take off as well.

Think tying down poplars would likely prevent them from becoming "trees"?

Not forever, sooner or later a central leader will emerge and start becoming a tree again. Unless you tie it down (or cut it off) :)

-John

Cut them down to about 3' tall and they with thicken up like crazy, it won't take long for them to get back to 6'-8', like by the end of the summer. Oh yeah, and you can shove the cuttings back into the ground and most of them will survive and take off as well.

If you don't need them right away in the spring, you can even cut them further than that. Established roots will push some mighty big trees in a single growing season.

-John

3' is a little tight. 6 feet is ok for the 1st couple years, 12 feet is better after they have grown for a few seasons.

Cut them down, you won't be disappointed. Cut them as soon as the frost leaves the ground, but before they come to life. And plant them as soon as you can. You'll have LOTS of free trees.

You could even plant the whole tree like I did here (free rubbing posts):
http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/rubbing-posts-giant-cuttings.515/

Good luck!

-John