Native Screen Plants

DRG3

5 year old buck +
Are there any annual or perenial plants that would make good screening - call it +/- 8ft tall, that are native to the midwest?
I have read some on the MG but cost and timing are a little bit of an issue, and I'm curious on the more native options as well?

I am in Western KY zone 7a

ERC (and other conifers; e.g., spruce or pine) is perhaps the best option ... plum thickets (can become quite large) also serve as screens; however, it will take several years to get one large/dense enough to be a great screen.

What is the old adage? Cheap, Fast, and Quality...pick two. I really like miscanthus gigantus. If you are pressed for time, consider starting a bunch in 2 gallon pots and push the nitrogen and water. You can divide the pot halfway through the summer planting one half in the field and push the other half n the original pot.

If I wasn't concerned about time and possibly costs, I would do thickets of the following:
Hazelnut, American plum, elderberry, persimmon, and arrowwood viburnum. I've actually already started doing just this on two different properties in Missouri. I have started everything in tree tubes and eventually start changing the tubes out for cages once the bare root seedlings get to the top of a 5 foot tube.

As suggested above, ERC and shrubs can provide a good screen. I would also add pin oak to that list if they will grow in your area. They grow fast and hold their leaves most of the winter.

I've got some fast growing willows that fill in pretty well and grow about 6' a year. They grow on the edges of drainage ditches and swamp. Going to try grabbing a couple of buckets full with my excavator to try and put some where I want them. I have planted lots of spruce and pine also. Pine grows quickly with out branches very low to the ground and spruce grows pretty damn slow so I put a row of pine and then a row of spruce to fill in high and low visually. It's a process with trees but will be the best option in time.

Prarie willow, oramge osage, seen sumac done a few times. Poplar, just trim it every other year.

Issue is fast means deer at it usually. White spruce is nibbled but not destroyed everytime. Red cedar likely be left alone, but its on the slow side.

Bulldozed mounds work real fast, if you can borrow one.

Serviceberry would create a screen in about 3 years if planted on 5 foot centers. A double, alternating row might do it in 2.

Every tree/shrub will drop their leaves significantly reducing screening effect.

MG is a good choice as it gets 10'- 12' high.

Best are conifers. ERC, red pine are good growers. Norway spruce will take longer but will be great long term. Of any conifers you need at least 2-3 rows with trees planted 15' apart. This reduces crowding and dropping of lower branches