Fall rip & relocate spruce

SD51555

5 year old buck +
I've never uprooted and moved trees in the fall. I need to replant about 15 trees in my road screen and there's a good cluster of white spruce in a north facing road ditch nearby. I could never get them in the spring because it was always shaded and pointed the wrong way. They'd still be froze in while everything else was moved a couple weeks earlier. You suppose there's a good time according to the weather to try this in the fall and still expect some success? I just wanna yank them out and plunk them in elsewhere. No watering. I'm sitting on really good moisture headed into October.

I would think now would be your best option considering how much moisture you've had up there this year.

I would think now would be your best option considering how much moisture you've had up there this year.
You think they'd be hardened off already to where they'd take the root shock? It is getting cold quickly, but I bet it'll be another 5-6 weeks before the ground is frozen.

I've had success previously this time of year. And other than your time, you're not out much if some fail. I'd much rather have the ground moisture prevalent than worry about any root shock. Just my opinion.

I've had success previously this time of year. And other than your time, you're not out much if some fail. I'd much rather have the ground moisture prevalent than worry about any root shock. Just my opinion.
That's the input I'm after.

I'm flying blind here. Thankfully like you said, it's a no-risk proposition other than burning up a few found trees slated to be mowed off by the man. I'll do it this weekend. I need to get the wheeler out and get the RPMs up a little anyway.

I've got some of my own that I need to move too, but I'm going to wait to do those until spring. I planted 400 of them 4' apart and it's time to pull some that are close together and plunk them in the 16' gaps.

That's the input I'm after.

I'm flying blind here. Thankfully like you said, it's a no-risk proposition other than burning up a few found trees slated to be mowed off by the man. I'll do it this weekend. I need to get the wheeler out and get the RPMs up a little anyway.

I've got some of my own that I need to move too, but I'm going to wait to do those until spring. I planted 400 of them 4' apart and it's time to pull some that are close together and plunk them in the 16' gaps.
Hunt first, kill second, move trees third, how about that?

Hunt first, kill second, move trees third, how about that?
That day doesn't flow. Here's a more likely order:

7am: Make coffee
7:15: Stare out window
8:45: Go look at Hoog III
9:00: Clean garage
11:00: Move trees
12:00: Breakfast
12:45: Go look at Hoog III again
1:00: College football/nap
4:00: Go hunting
5:45: Take picture of giant doe broadside @ 20 yards in opening I will later regret not shooting

Keep the roots wet the entire time after you rip them out. Throw some cat shit or a fish carcass in the hole with each planting and you will be fine. Best month to plant a tree is one that ends in R.

I actually did the same thing Tuesday before some rain in Northern WI. I just moved a handful with the largest being 4 foot. Besides planned rain that evening i provided a 5 gallon bucket of water for each.

fe2bf25eb3c5049e55995388413cdee5.jpg

86b6f3b0df6f960441bfc2ce90377a26.jpg

I had a great selection to choose from. Call this my own little natural nursery. Mixing these in with Norway Spruce around my property.
276fc84a246d92fcba4f62117151362e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've mentioned road screen numerous times in previous posts. I'd transport a gallon of water for each. Depending on how tall they are, you're going to want to mark them with a stake.

I always keep agriform tablets or extra granular fertilizer on hand too.

You've mentioned road screen numerous times in previous posts. I'd transport a gallon of water for each. Depending on how tall they are, you're going to want to mark them with a stake.

I always keep agriform tablets or extra granular fertilizer on hand too.

I mow around these. They won’t be hard to keep track of.

Keep the roots wet the entire time after you rip them out. Throw some cat shit or a fish carcass in the hole with each planting and you will be fine. Best month to plant a tree is one that ends in R.

I know what you mean, but you won’t be transplanting any trees by me in November, or December.

The airlift operation is cancelled. The weekenders are up big as shit right now. The woods all around me is being invaded and blown out. I'm gonna stay inside, hunkered down, and quiet. Cam pulls from the yard tell me I've got 6 deer here right now. I could have a whole bunch more by this afternoon the way these guys are running around.

The airlift operation is cancelled. The weekenders are up big as shit right now. The woods all around me is being invaded and blown out. I'm gonna stay inside, hunkered down, and quiet. Cam pulls from the yard tell me I've got 6 deer here right now. I could have a whole bunch more by this afternoon the way these guys are running around.

You still gonna sneak out for a sit tonight?

Glorious Saturday by Grand Rapids for rip and relocate. Downright mucky up here.

Could be a good one if all the rain stops!

I went out. Saw four baldies come in and eat under those oaks.

There is never a bad time to plant a free tree. I've had good luck planting apple trees in the fall if the soil is moist, so I'm assuming you will also have good luck pulling and planting some spruce or pines.

I do this every year as late as I can get away with. I will even grab one on the way in from a hunt and stick it in the hedge row. I am close to 100% survival pulling them in the fall and 95% doing it in the spring.

How large of trees are you pulling, and transplanting?