Fall transplanting Time, Apple and Spruce

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
I have a few SLN atonovka rootstocks that are doing great in my nursery area. They are about 1ft apart and about 3ft tall now. They were planting in heavy clay amended with peat moss, lime, and fertilizer, and rototilled before planting in april. I Live in NY about an hour south of Albany NY about 1 mile away from a large river. Zone is 5A 4A line is about 10 miles away, mostly in 5A because of the proximity to a river.

They will be placed in old apple tree spots where I knocked down the tree and some / most of the main root knot comes out. Any concerns about old rotting roots? Did about 10 plum trees from pots in the fall like that and theyre doing well.

I have a few seedling spruce in the nursery, as well as some 3-4 year old 3ft tall ones. One or two 4-5 footers, and a red cedar Im moving. Any advice on root ball size. Triming back branches or roots. And care for damaged root sections for both the spruce and apple. A Good link to a transplanting guide would be great too.

Considerig buying some sort of myochorraize dip or additive when I plant. Anybody do that on here. I'm assuming mixing fetilizer in the soil isn't a good idea if using the myo. Place some on top? Don't care about organic or whatever, just want to give these guys a good go. This is my home, so I can water them often. Felt like too often this summer.......

Last edited:
I fall transplant spruce all the time. I just pull them out by hand and stick them in the ground. Success rate is close to 100%. I do it as late in the year as the weather allows. I also do it as soon as the ground thaws in spring. Success rate still very high but the fall planted ones do better. They are a very forgiving tree to transplant.

Chummer, how has rain been up by you. I throw n mowed about an acre of winter rye and clover up by stillwater maybe 3 weeks ago. Tossed in some oats and some milpa garden mix from green cover.

I’m in WI, Zone 3 / 4 and transplanted a bunch of apple trees from my garden first week of November last year. Aside from the couple I didn’t get fenced, they all made it and look great. In terms of roots, I take a lot of time digging and get as much as I can.

I used myochorraize dip on my last large planting I would use it again if nothing else the gel probably keeps the roots from drying out as quickly at best the myochorraize do their thing. From my reading however I question whether they are still alive by the time we get them in the ground with current technology.

I have a few SLN atonovka rootstocks that are doing great in my nursery area. They are about 1ft apart and about 3ft tall now. They were planting in heavy clay amended with peat moss, lime, and fertilizer, and rototilled before planting in april. I Live in NY about an hour south of Albany NY about 1 mile away from a large river. Zone is 5A 4A line is about 10 miles away, mostly in 5A because of the proximity to a river.

They will be placed in old apple tree spots where I knocked down the tree and some / most of the main root knot comes out. Any concerns about old rotting roots? Did about 10 plum trees from pots in the fall like that and theyre doing well.

I have a few seedling spruce in the nursery, as well as some 3-4 year old 3ft tall ones. One or two 4-5 footers, and a red cedar Im moving. Any advice on root ball size. Triming back branches or roots. And care for damaged root sections for both the spruce and apple. A Good link to a transplanting guide would be great too.

Considerig buying some sort of myochorraize dip or additive when I plant. Anybody do that on here. I'm assuming mixing fetilizer in the soil isn't a good idea if using the myo. Place some on top? Don't care about organic or whatever, just want to give these guys a good go. This is my home, so I can water them often. Felt like too often this summer.......

If you have no red cedars in the area, I wouldn’t plant any near apple trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chummer, how has rain been up by you. I throw n mowed about an acre of winter rye and clover up by stillwater maybe 3 weeks ago. Tossed in some oats and some milpa garden mix from green cover.
We have had a ton of rain over the last month with very few dry stretches. I also planted three weeks ago. WW and some brassica and peas I had left over. It looked like a carpet today. I hit it with 10-20-20, the only fertilizer I could find. Looks like rain Sun-Tues so timing should be good. I also seeded about 100 yards under power lines today. The power company
ran a mulched under it so I figured I would take advantage.

I am in western NY and I transplant my grafts every year around the first week of November. Never lost a tree. Don’t overthink it, get what you think is a good rootball and stick it in the ground where you want it and cage it. It will take off in the spring.