Fall planting plugs

bwoods11

5 year old buck +
Is anyone else planting any plugs this fall?

I have some spruce and pine that I have been watering this summer, plan is to plant them in September....Last time I planted in the fall I had really good survival.

I'd like to but I'm nervous that it won't rain and seal up the hole. I've never done it.

I'd like to but I'm nervous that it won't rain and seal up the hole. I've never done it.

We usually get a nice fall rain or two in MN? I cover up the entire plug when I plant.

I do too. It seems like we've got a layer of sticky top soil with sand underneath. I always thought (and that is often the problem) that a good amount of rain helped fill in where a hole may not have gotten heeled shut properly. I base this on nothing, just an exercise in over-thinking it.

I have some white cedar I did not get planted so they will be going in this fall. I could try a couple hundred plugs if I can find them.

Not planting any myself but in the past had a family member plant over 30 acres of red pines plugs in the fall and I had the same help plant regular bare root white spruce in a different spot but actually better soil the following spring. Had a terrible dry summer that year and I lost probably over 80% of the spring planted but the stuff planted the fall prior fared much better. Maybe the fact of plugs vs. bare roots had something to do with it but I would not hesitate to do plugs in the fall

I talked with Itasca Greenhouse about doing this last fall when I ordered my spruce. They said as long as you have 30 days before the ground freezes, you're good to go.

The issue is if you plant too late and have a hard frost, you run the risk of the ground pushing the plug out before it has a chance to set roots.

Not planting any myself but in the past had a family member plant over 30 acres of red pines plugs in the fall and I had the same help plant regular bare root white spruce in a different spot but actually better soil the following spring. Had a terrible dry summer that year and I lost probably over 80% of the spring planted but the stuff planted the fall prior fared much better. Maybe the fact of plugs vs. bare roots had something to do with it but I would not hesitate to do plugs in the fall
On light soil, Norway pine has better survival than white spruce in north central Mn. My Dad and Grandpa learned this in the '60"s. I'm sure the plugs made a big difference, also.

On light soil, Norway pine has better survival than white spruce in north central Mn. My Dad and Grandpa learned this in the '60"s. I'm sure the plugs made a big difference, also.
With that wind you guys always seem to get over there, black hills spruce might also be a better choice than white spruce.

With that wind you guys always seem to get over there, black hills spruce might also be a better choice than white spruce.

I personally like Black Hills Spruce. They grow a little slower, but survival is great and they catch up in later years.

Doesn't it matter more where you are located for planting plugs or really any type of tree in the fall. Where I'm at it can randomly get cold fast and I know you MN boys are even worse than me. I'd be worried they wouldn't have a shot to acclimate and winter themselves before it got to cold.

I would think if you planted in early September you would be ok, but I suppose a hard frost could happen in some parts of MN?

Are the norways at risk of getting eaten off like a white pine?

Norways are more likely to get browsed hard with high deer numbers vs. something like a white spruce. One of the reasons I don't plant any although the turkeys like to use them to roost. A buddy near me got dropped from some type of CRP program when his trees got ravaged and they determined that his planting density was too low but planting more was kinda a losing proposition. He has since gone back and planted spruce in areas he wants to thicken up vs. the mix of red and white pine he tried first.

On the plug side, we had used Itasca Greenhouse also and they have good product and prices (epspecially when you buy thousands....)

This was in the northwoods where there was not much wind exposure.

I agree if you are in prairie/open areas.

Are the norways at risk of getting eaten off like a white pine?
If you are talking about Norway pine and Cass county, I have never seen a problem.

I would love to see you raise deer numbers to 25 plus dpsm and prove me wrong!