Fall Planted Clover in Central Sands Area in Wisconsin

Joe Buck

5 year old buck +
We are planning to plant 3 types of clover this Labor Day, Sept 2.. We will be planting 3 types: Aberlasting, Jumbo Ladino, and a Med. Red. we will be using a cover crop. I realize we are quite late but because of other circumstances we have no choice. Just wondering what others may have experienced with this late of clover planting. We realize it will have no benefit this year but hoping to have an established plot next year. Our soil is very sandy. Thanking you in advance for your replies!

We are planning to plant 3 types of clover this Labor Day, Sept 2.. We will be planting 3 types: Aberlasting, Jumbo Ladino, and a Med. Red. we will be using a cover crop. I realize we are quite late but because of other circumstances we have no choice. Just wondering what others may have experienced with this late of clover planting. We realize it will have no benefit this year but hoping to have an established plot next year. Our soil is very sandy. Thanking you in advance for your replies!
I'm pretty certain you'll be fine. You may even be in better shape going a little later. The sun's intensity drops quite a bit after Sept 1st, and on sand I'd be more concerned about it burning up laying on glass shards (sand) than not getting rooted down. White clover is a weed, and as long as it's on the ground before winter, there's probably no stopping it. You could have 6-8 weeks of growing season yet if we get a warm fall.

You're probably fine on red too. I sprayed, tilled, and never planted red, and I've got red all over in that plot.

Medium red is my go-to in our sand. I went super low maintenance a few years ago. I simply broadcast medium red clover and winter rye Labor Day weekend (or a week before or after) every year. The new winter rye and clover from previous years provide food for the fall hunting seasons until the snow piles up. Early spring the rye is again a big attractant until it matures. By then the different year classes of clover take you through summer into Labor Day for the rinse/repeat cycle. Yes I have weeds but I don't care.