Eye Bolt Trail Cam Mount

I’ve been using the screw in versions of this for years. Absolutely my favorite way to mount a camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like them too, however one caveat. I had one mounted on a t-post as shown above, had plenty of pics then a deer walked up to it and messed with it, knocking the camera straight down. Not a problem until a heavy rain - that Moultrie hanging upside down got water in it and fried.

Last edited:
Figured I'd revive this thread again. I couldn't find the camera mounts I was looking for so decided to make these.

I made a few modifications. I used a slightly longer screw in lag bolt (3-3/4") to help with leverage. I also subbed out the hex bolt and nut for a 1/4-20 X 1-1/2" thumb screw and wing nut. I think you can get it just as tight by tightening this by hand without having to cary some wrenches in the field with you. I also added a rubber washer for where the camera screws in. In the past, I've over-tightened the camera and cracked the threaded insert in the camera. This will help prevent that. Just need to spray paint them now. Probably have a little over $4 into each one.

Attachments

• PXL_20230731_234410241.jpg
    PXL_20230731_234410241.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 41
that's pretty cool, gotta build me some now. Lot of great info on this forum!

FWIW -
To avoid deer bumping / knocking a camera and having it hang down & maybe get rain in it, add some star washers in with those flat washers so their teeth bite and hold tight. Tighten those down good and tight, and a critter will probably have to break the cam housing before the star washers would let the cam sag.

These cam rigs are a good idea. Thanks to the OP for posting.

Green picture wire is so nice, cheap, easy and camouflaged if you wanted an alternate

I’ve been doing this setup for about 10 years… I LOVE it. One thing that makes them easier to use is is to weld the head of the bolt to the outside washer, and to the eye of the lag screw that goes into the tree. That keeps the head from spinning when you tighten the wing nut.

I've been using these for almost 10 years and love them. The modifications you suggest sound like great ideas. I'll be trying them out soon.

I’m a fan of these guys. I keep the threads coated with ’never seize’. There about $10 a piece.

Rusty

Attachments

• IMG_0600.jpeg
    IMG_0600.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 9
I’m a fan of these guys. I keep the threads coated with ’never seize’. There about $10 a piece.

Rusty

Having things like this hit the market in the last several years sure is nice. I’ve got 10 or 12 of the DIY ones, so I doubt I will ever need anything new. These are the ticket if you don’t have anything already made up, though.