Excessive P

Brian662

5 year old buck +
I've been combing over some of my soil samples and all my samples in WI show that I have "excessive" levels of phosphorus in the soil.

Is there something palatable to deer that I can throw in my fall blend which will use up a higher portion of that phosphorus than normal?

Mine are high as well. Mine usually run mid 60's on my tests. It would be nice to plant something to use some of it up. It looks like, beans, clover, alf alfa helps use some up.

Any grain crop will mine some of that phosphorus and in theory, be deposited wherever the deer defecate. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are finding plant deficiencies for another nutrient. Most often, these would be iron and zinc. Excessive phosphorus is fairly typical in most upper midwestern soils. Around 80% of soils in MN are high in phosphorus.

Are you havign any problems with plantings? A high level of certain utrients can cause deifciency in others. Zinc, calcium, and boron could have some issues. Hows your soil pH?

I thought wheat used more phosphorus than the other common grains? Thought brassicas use a good bit of phosphorus too.

Be nice to see the whole soil test. Soil test show one thing, crop results are another.

Are you havign any problems with plantings? A high level of certain utrients can cause deifciency in others. Zinc, calcium, and boron could have some issues. Hows your soil pH?

I thought wheat used more phosphorus than the other common grains? Thought brassicas use a good bit of phosphorus too.

Be nice to see the whole soil test. Soil test show one thing, crop results are another.
The one plot was virgin CRP that hasn't had a crop in 13+ years so no history. The other is my 4 acre destination plot and everything always grows good but the deer and turkeys are rough on it to the point I'm considering an electric fence during the summer months because my corn and beans get smashed.

No answer for ya. But when I read the title I thought this.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know. “Tenacious D”. The band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk