Everbearing mulberry?

Catscratch

5 year old buck +
We have lots of native mulberry around but I'm thinking about adding some everbearing mulberry. Anyone have insight or experience with them? Do they bear berries longer? Grow fast? Disease resistance? Etc...

Thanks.

Stu?

How are the Ill. Everbearing or Northrup for bugs eating them, Stu ?? Do mulberries get torn up by bugs ??

I was just munching on some the other day from a huge old tree while out on a walk with the granddaughters. That old tree is probably 30'-40' tall and has been producing fruit since mid-June. It has already peaked in fruit production for the year, but I still see new fruits on it even now. I don't mind them for just eating a few while out walking around and the twins liked them as well after they got past the initial tartness. The walk path that passes under it is a completely different shade compared to the rest of the asphalt on that trail, way darker due to the purple coloring of the fruit permanently staining the path. Baby mulberry plants all up and down the length of the path due to people stepping on the fruits and the seeds sticking to the bottom of their shoes as they walk and then depositing them further up the trail. Same thing about 300 yards up the trail, another large old mulberry that doesn't produce quite as much fruit due to it being shaded by craploads of silver maple, black ash, and huge cottonwoods.

Could have been a non-pollination issue and someone nearby may have planted one that was now pollinating the old one you had?

I understand that male trees are sold by the landscaping industry as attractive, disease free shade trees.
That is interesting, but understandable. You get a good tree without the hassles that come with the fruit dropping everywhere.

I was just munching on some the other day from a huge old tree while out on a walk with the granddaughters. That old tree is probably 30'-40' tall and has been producing fruit since mid-June. It has already peaked in fruit production for the year, but I still see new fruits on it even now. I don't mind them for just eating a few while out walking around and the twins liked them as well after they got past the initial tartness. The walk path that passes under it is a completely different shade compared to the rest of the asphalt on that trail, way darker due to the purple coloring of the fruit permanently staining the path. Baby mulberry plants all up and down the length of the path due to people stepping on the fruits and the seeds sticking to the bottom of their shoes as they walk and then depositing them further up the trail. Same thing about 300 yards up the trail, another large old mulberry that doesn't produce quite as much fruit due to it being shaded by craploads of silver maple, black ash, and huge cottonwoods.

LaCrosse?

Yup, right down on the campus walk trail through the La Crosse River Marsh.

Stu - Thanks for the info on mulberries.

Guess I'll be getting a few next spring now that I know they have a chance in our area. I only knew of them being as far north as zone 5. Have relatives down by Portage that have some.

Last edited:
Guess I'll be getting a few next spring now that I know they have a chance in our area. I only knew of them being as far north as zone 5. Have relatives down by Portage that have some.
They should do fine over in Jackson Co. Make sure you harvest your cuttings from a nearby source or if you purchase them, you get a northern sourced nursery to supply them.

^^^there was a mulberry growing about a mile south of my folks' old place in Juneau County. About halfway between Necedah and New Lisbon
That area is in a nice frosty pocket as well, most years it is more like 4a/3b than the 4b USDA rating it has. So if they are hardy there, I don't see anyone south of Hwy 64 having any trouble being able to establish them and have them do well.

I should probably get one just for the hell of it. We have lots of native mulberry but they don't fruit for a real long time. The kids love them so having something with a longer drop period would be cool.

They should do fine over in Jackson Co. Make sure you harvest your cuttings from a nearby source or if you purchase them, you get a northern sourced nursery to supply them.

That was my concern also. Don't know of anybody selling them. Are I.E. normally grafted or just started cuttings?

I believe I.E. are a grafted type because they are a hybrid, but I'm not entirely positive you couldn't get cuttings? I was referring to the native wild mulberries as far as "harvesting" your own cuttings, otherwise I would look for a reputable northern source for grafted ones.