Hazelnut?

Going to be a bumper crop this year

d9d2a7ed6529774cc000213e0aac71ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I walked by a few of my hazelnut bushes today and was going to pull off a pod to see how ripe they are. Where did all the pods go? All of the sudden most are gone. I guess they are ripe!! Anybody else noticing the same?

I walked by a few of my hazelnut bushes today and was going to pull off a pod to see how ripe they are. Where did all the pods go? All of the sudden most are gone. I guess they are ripe!! Anybody else noticing the same?
Same here. I didn't think they would be ready for a month. Not a single one left!

I just thought the same thing on Tuesday......all of a sudden they are gone. Seems early.

Better check mine tonight....

I was checking on one of my plots today.....and noticed that I still had lots of hazel nuts on the bushes in that area. It had occurred to me in other areas that they were gone. I did notice that they were turning brown ....so they must be ripening. I did not spend more time to investigate.
tempImagehmmM1c.jpg

Great tree/shrub. My fav next to Silky Dogwoods. Love hot dry poor soil. A great thing about them they are easy to self propagate. Simply place lower limb along ground and hold down with rock of such. Roots will form and new bush will sprout. You do have to cage them to prevent browse. Do not use tubes, but then I wouldn’t waste my time or money on tubes ever again.

I was out scouting some public land in MN and found several hazelnuts.
1692585881090.png

They likely started dropping in just the last couple of days. The terminal leaves are turning and dropping and some of the nut clusters will fall off if you barely touch them.
1692585994465.png
1692586012363.png

As I was checking out this clump, I hear something on the far side of it and something else had the same idea:

I wish I had hazelnuts growing wild in my place I need to order some of them do they do better in partial shade or full sun for you guys that have them?

They seem to do best lining my trails and food plot edges. I'd say partial shade is best.....but some seem to do well in mostly shady areas too.

They seem to do best lining my trails and food plot edges. I'd say partial shade is best.....but some seem to do well in mostly shady areas too.
Thanks I was wondering I tried a couple that came free with something I ordered a couple years ago but planted them in full sun and they didn’t do well in that situation at all. I think they are both dead now.

I wish I had hazelnuts growing wild in my place I need to order some of them do they do better in partial shade or full sun for you guys that have them?
Full sun and well-drained is where I tend to see them. They seem to do very well in fence rows, but that is probably because birds are dropping some nuts when perched. MDC says that they can be an understory tree. MDC is an excellent source of purchasing bare root hazelnuts. I bought a bunch of commercial varieties and collected seed from wild types and have been growing them out from seed.

In my mind, hazelnut is one of the best trees for a habitat manager. They are incredibly hardy, provide awesome screening cover from forming thickets, browse for deer on leaves and stems, and of course the nuts for wildlife. The only issue I think with them is that wild American hazelnuts tend to drop end of August through mid-September. Some commercial varieties are later droppers, but not by much.

My zone 6b heat maybe part of my full sun issue or maybe that area was wetter than I thought I have several spots that I can try them that are likely better suited to them. Another few days and all the state Nursery’s start taking orderers on September 1st exciting time for us habitat junkies.

Most of mine are in full sun and my soil is very sandy. I do have some in shade and seem to prosper there as well

Loamy clay here partial shade on the edge of woods.
Just took these pics, mine aren’t near as close to start dropping yet.

IMG_5854.jpeg

And this guy was helping keep the bugs off the hazelnuts.
IMG_5855.jpeg

Hazelnuts on our places in MO are quite a bit behind the ones in MN. Took a quick video to show another reason why I like them so much. Deer love to bed in the clumps that get thick enough.

Here is a volunteer one my friend in Portland gave me.

We are hauling it back to Idaho.

It seems very robust and healthy!

There are vast orchards of them here in Oregon.

I should explore getting some hybrid seeds, sometime.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 15
Here is a volunteer one my friend in Portland gave me.

We are hauling it back to Idaho.

It seems very robust and healthy!

There are vast orchards of them here in Oregon.

I should explore getting some hybrid seeds, sometime.
I have bought 3 different hybrids from Burnt Ridge Nursery. Now is actually the time to order them. They definitely grow faster than the wild American types, but do not form as much of a thicket.