Esch, truax, and Tye no till drills

The way I see it, I could have spent 12-13k on a drill that I just wasn't sure would get the job done all the time. I ended up spending 17k for a 3p606nt that I KNOW will get the job done. Those 06 series openers cover literally millions of acres a year in wheat country.

If i could find a pull type for 17k or had enough tractor for a 3pt 606 I would do the same.

If i could find a pull type for 17k or had enough tractor for a 3pt 606 I would do the same.

Pull type was going to be about 20k when I got quotes. Shop around. I got quotes ranging over 9k for the exact same drill.

Talked to a guy about the Esch options today. 3pt 3' version is $11.8k, pull type is $12.8. $1k to add a small seed box. $1600 estimated shipping to MN. Available in June.

It is a tempting option compared to trying to find a 3p500 with 52.5" planting width, no coulters, for close to the same cost assuming no shipping.

In regards to a 3 point model - I've been considering adding a hydraulic top link. Is it reasonable to be concerned that the hydraulics would bleed a bit and mess up your planting depth on something like this? Complete newbie here but hydraulic bleeding or settling seems pretty common in equipment ive operated.

Edit: just remembered an odd/funny part of my esch inquiry conversation today. I asked if there was an owner/operators manual I could read to understand the drill better. The answer was "No, there isn't. It's a really easy drill to use and figure out".

Last edited:
Calling around looking for a 3p500. Last place i called said no GP/LP besides an 806NT this year but they'll have 5 RTP drills in the next month.

Bare bones Genesis 5 with no coulters, no small seed box, no wheel kit = $15k and change.. I'll have to pass on that one.

What spots are you going to plant? How fallow / rocky are they. To save thousands of dollars, just get a sseder and some seedbed prep tool.

I've seen woods and brillion seeders for $1500 and less in NY / CT area. Also, a used old deere drill can be very affordable.

What plants and how many acres do you want to do.

We all have goals in mind. A coworker used to till n seed 25 to 60 acres a year, and mow about another 70 acres of hay field for a few deer. He has scaled back alot the past 3 years or so and still sees good herd and horns. He is heading towards making quality hay blends and enjoying the hunting in the process.

Some spots need major love like alot of pH adjustment, rock removal, drainage work. Alot of this is much easier with traditional methods.

What spots are you going to plant? How fallow / rocky are they. To save thousands of dollars, just get a sseder and some seedbed prep tool.

I've seen woods and brillion seeders for $1500 and less in NY / CT area. Also, a used old deere drill can be very affordable.

What plants and how many acres do you want to do.

We all have goals in mind. A coworker used to till n seed 25 to 60 acres a year, and mow about another 70 acres of hay field for a few deer. He has scaled back alot the past 3 years or so and still sees good herd and horns. He is heading towards making quality hay blends and enjoying the hunting in the process.

Some spots need major love like alot of pH adjustment, rock removal, drainage work. Alot of this is much easier with traditional methods.

It’s all old hay field that hasn’t been cut in a couple years. Not particularly rocky. Some is prone to be poor draining but I’m doing nothing to modify that. In general I intend plant something close to a lick creek rotation this year in 3 acres and about an acre of NWW sorghum screening.

The NT route sounds very appealing for minimizing trips, input costs, tractor time, and doing good things for my soil.

Calling around looking for a 3p500. Last place i called said no GP/LP besides an 806NT this year but they'll have 5 RTP drills in the next month.

Bare bones Genesis 5 with no coulters, no small seed box, no wheel kit = $15k and change.. I'll have to pass on that one.
Most folks that are familiar with the Gen 5 L will tell you that you do not need coulters. Most that have them have taken them off. Most get along fine with one seed box as they blend the seeds into a mix. You do not need a wheel kit with your tractor. You have 2650# lift at 24' behind the pins.....and about 3750# at the pins. (this taken from the L3540 data which is the predecessor). Check tractor house for available drills.

The Genesis 5 is a no till drill. You could buy my Tar River Saya 505 at last years price. (if my Gen 5 shows up....grin)

EDIT: You would definaely like a hydraulic top link. Mine does not change once I set it. Love it for use with a drill, or a disk, or most 3 point implements for that matter.

Last edited:
There are alot of great plains NT drills and even 10 single coulter drills for alot less

EDIT: You would definaely like a hydraulic top link. Mine does not change once I set it. Love it for use with a drill, or a disk, or most 3 point implements for that matter.
Did you do kubota top-n-tilt option or aftermarket? My tractor is still at the dealership for a while and it would be easy for them to tac the top n tilt on but it’s about $1k.

There are alot of great plains NT drills and even 10 single coulter drills for alot less

A lot less than?

Did you do kubota top-n-tilt option or aftermarket? My tractor is still at the dealership for a while and it would be easy for them to tac the top n tilt on but it’s about $1k.
I added my own. Bought the cylinder from Agri Supply and got hoses from Mills Fleet. I may have $250 invested. I do not have tilt. I kinda like the idea of tilt....but do not want to tie up any more hydraulic valves.....and I'm a bit tight....grin. The hydraulic top link (or tilt for that matter) can always be added.

Yep. Which is why I just said the heck with it and bought a regular 8’ drill with 2 seed boxes.

I’ll try and use it as a no till and if it works great but if not the harrow and tiller still work. Was wanting to save some time with the no till but not at those prices.

The Woods FPS 72 is about $13,000 or so. I think that would have worked well enough but again that price is just too high.

Yep. Which is why I just said the heck with it and bought a regular 8’ drill with 2 seed boxes.

I’ll try and use it as a no till and if it works great but if not the harrow and tiller still work. Was wanting to save some time with the no till but not at those prices.

The Woods FPS 72 is about $13,000 or so. I think that would have worked well enough but again that price is just too high.

I am getting a Genesis 5 L for last years price at $13,500. .....provided my dealer's word is good. I "assume" everyone's word is good. Wut....me worry? Grin.

I ordered a 3’ pull type esch with small seed box today. They are saying june or July delivery.. really hope I have it in time for fall plots.

I ordered a 3’ pull type esch with small seed box today. They are saying june or July delivery.. really hope I have it in time for fall plots.

Nice! Can’t wait to hear how it works out for you.

Just looked at a few pics of a unit like that on Tractor House. Not familiar with the brand. You know someone who has one? Reviews?

Just looked at a few pics of a unit like that on Tractor House. Not familiar with the brand. You know someone who has one? Reviews?
Slim pickins for reviews. They don’t have nationwide distribution. All I’ve read is good though.

than the 15K

Most folks that are familiar with the Gen 5 L will tell you that you do not need coulters. Most that have them have taken them off. Most get along fine with one seed box as they blend the seeds into a mix. You do not need a wheel kit with your tractor. You have 2650# lift at 24' behind the pins.....and about 3750# at the pins. (this taken from the L3540 data which is the predecessor). Check tractor house for available drills.

The Genesis 5 is a no till drill. You could buy my Tar River Saya 505 at last years price. (if my Gen 5 shows up....grin)

So what was last year's price on 505, I did find a new one locally for $5400.

Slim pickins for reviews. They don’t have nationwide distribution. All I’ve read is good though.
Enjoy the new implement.

If parts are hard to come by, you might want to order a few spare parts. Opening disc, closer wheel, cup tube, etc.....

For all you cheap skates out there, I've been seeing a few woods super seeders used for about 3 grand NY/NJ area. A 5ft brillion cultipacker seeder for $900 in CT.