end all, be all, clover discussion... Keying on Longevity of the stand.

Thanks for the info guys. I was planning on putting it on some of my poorest ground, because I have read that it niche in places like that. I hate to hear that deer don't browse it much in some places. They gave a 4 stars in the food plot manual, so we will see.

It is good on poor soils, and like he said it is easy to establish and once it gets a year or two under it’s belt you ain’t gonna kill it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used to plant clover plots and then graduated to clover strips (Doubletree method) and have since gone to just planting a ring of clover around the outside edge of all of my food plots, which was recommended to me by Steve Bartylla. If you think about it, the outside edges of your food plots are often lacking in either sun or moisture and don't grow the best crops anyway but clover does just fine.

Wildthing,

I started doing the outer strips as well for the same reason. However, I have a harder time keeping weeds and grasses out in those areas. Do you spray frequently. I can’t get away with just spraying once a year when it comes to the strips —- your pics/plots look great.

Oh Native Hunter,

Birdsfoot, the rage of years gone by. Your deer may eat it, but I have planted it in plots many many time. I have gotten it to establish easily. I have it growing along my roads (private and public), as well as the transmission line right of way, and some of my water holes. It was part of a reclamation mix. I have NEVER EVER seen a leaf nipped off by deer and have never ever seen a deer eat it.

What type of chicory do you plant. I don’t like mixing it with clover because it is not immune to some of the broadleaf herbicides I use in clover plots.

I've tried some different varieties of chicory, and all are eaten pretty well. However, I have to give some advantage to Commander and also the one that Whitetail Institute sells. When you stop and think about it, chicory is cheap. 2 or 3 pounds will plant an acre, so no need to skimp on costs. For my fall plots this year I have already bought WI. I would have been equally happy with Commander.

After thinking about it, Birdsfoot is really a relative of Kudzu in theory, it just isn’t at all offensive like Kudzu but both are damn near nuclear proof.

Hey Native as I think about it, If you are going to plant Birdsfoot why don’t you go ahead and mix in about 40 percent yellow sweet clover. It is also very deep rooted and works well on poor soil. Deer will eat it. I have planted it on the banks of many impoundments we have built over the years as part of our reclamation mix.

Hey Native as I think about it, If you are going to plant Birdsfoot why don’t you go ahead and mix in about 40 percent yellow sweet clover. It is also very deep rooted and works well on poor soil. Deer will eat it. I have planted it on the banks of many impoundments we have built over the years as part of our reclamation mix.

I had thought about sweetclover. I wish I had bought it instead. I may get some and mix in.

As we scratch our way through another spring I know many of us will be planing to plant clover at some point, most likely during the fall. I have planted a lot of clover over the years, from the bags of pure seed at tractor supply, to the bags you can get from NWTF, to jumbo ladino, crimson ( annual ) and right now I am being stunned by a stand of clover I planted last fall, bought 15 lbs at a seed supply store and I'll be danged that I did not write down the name of the clover. But I tell you what, it is 18 inches tall right now and getting hit HARD by the deer. I have a one acre plot of it and am flat out amazed at what it is becoming. I only hope it is not a biennial mammoth red that will do its thing and be gone after this season.

What my perfect world clover would be:
grow from seeding and be able to compete against grasses and weeds.
last as a pure stand for 4 to more years
shrug off the maybe once a year hit with gly at about an oz per gallon to knock out things it can't compete with
not need a moving
forgiving as for soil types as I have some clay, and only one sandy plot on the 300 acres I manage

so what do you folks say? I've tried alfalfa, and that was a bust, so clovers, lets hear the ideas, input, success/ failure.
sources are always a bonus!
thanks, mike

So all of your advice about Duran is south of the Mason Dixon line ... what relevant advice have you received to your climate?

going to have to add it all up, map i all out, and talk to the ag agent........ might start tomorrow, but after that I'm out for 8 days, gonna be on a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG boat top shelp package :D

I used to plant clover plots and then graduated to clover strips (Doubletree method) and have since gone to just planting a ring of clover around the outside edge of all of my food plots, which was recommended to me by Steve Bartylla. If you think about it, the outside edges of your food plots are often lacking in either sun or moisture and don't grow the best crops anyway but clover does just fine.

Wildthing,

I started doing the outer strips as well for the same reason. However, I have a harder time keeping weeds and grasses out in those areas. Do you spray frequently. I can’t get away with just spraying once a year when it comes to the strips —- your pics/plots look great.

Thanks WTNUT. Usually just once per year but I will also spot spray if I see some thistle or mullein pop up.

With the busy life I am living with 4 kids, a hot wife an multiple jobs clover has become my staple. We have a 2 acre destination clover plot that is in the center of our farm. It was a little slow to get going because it was planted as winter wheat alone in Sep then frost seeded with clover in March (med red an generic lidino) Last yr it was just ok. I frost seeded it again this March with what a guy at the feed mill described as “an improved ladino” called synergy ladino. It was supposed to have thicker stolen density an last 5+ yrs yada yada. Well i have to admit i am impressed thus far. It was thigh high and lush up until last wk when mowed for the second time this yr. This plot was predominantly med red clover an is now being over taken with white flowers.
These pics were earlier this spring
Anyone else try synergy?
50260299-9F22-4195-BD6C-5E6EE7DCB83D.jpeg
911B3CF1-944C-4658-B68D-ADAD0A84D8D8.jpeg

If that were the case, I should be putting dandelions in my food plot ... :emoji_frowning:
Turkey love dandelion. They pick the fluff off when it is in the post flower stage. Rabbits love the stems.

I been eyeing up chicory for a bit, just not sure how well" my6 deer " like it. I put an email out to the county agent today, with a by all means, forward on to someone in the know locally with input, shall see what they have to say.

anyone with luck planting fixation balansa?

I've had decent luck with it. I fall seeded a few years ago (zone 6) and had a fantastic plot the following spring. I left it produce seed (as suggested in the Welter catalog) hoping to create a perpetual crop as they advertise. I assumed that I would have a great, naturally produced plot last year, but it was kinda lame. However, its bounced back pretty well this year. It hasn't completely filled in 100 % but its still very evident. IME, I wouldn't rely on a perpetual stand of 100% balansa coverage, but anytime you can have naturally producing clover, it ain't bad.
Honey bees like it, too.

going to have to add it all up, map i all out, and talk to the ag agent........ might start tomorrow, but after that I'm out for 8 days, gonna be on a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG boat top shelp package :D
Good luck!

I'm looking to add some diversity to some established clover plots. Are you guys having any luck with adding chicory to a Throw N Mow/Roll/Spray type situation?

I'm looking to add some diversity to some established clover plots.
If your existing plots are Durana I wouldn't recommend it...waste of chicory seed. Even if it does germinate the clover will choke it out within a growing season (at least in my region).

Ask me how I know. :)

I'm looking to add some diversity to some established clover plots. Are you guys having any luck with adding chicory to a Throw N Mow/Roll/Spray type situation?
Just be aware that adding chicory will complicate herbicide choices.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

From my understanding, balansa clover produces a high percentage of hard seed, so it may take a couple years for that seed to actually sprout and replenish the plot, as not all of each years seed drop will germinate the following spring.

From my understanding, balansa clover produces a high percentage of hard seed, so it may take a couple years for that seed to actually sprout and replenish the plot, as not all of each years seed drop will germinate the following spring.
Yeah, I knew it made hard seed, which IMO is a good thing. I just didn't realize that the 1st follow up year may not see a lot of them germinating.
I think Welters said it can be hard to eradicate because the hard seed lasts so long in the soil.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Correct ^^^ It very well could sit in your seedbank for multiple years after initially going to seed. For production ag, that could be a PIA, for a deer plot, perfect!

Reactions: Tap