Early Grafting Indoors

aerospacefarmer

5 year old buck +
I just took 2 failed grafts from last year that I had in my garage in root trappers and grafted from my GRIN scions. Well actually one was not failure but I decided to change the variety. Here is the failed graftIMG_3002.JPG ut I decided to change the variety

Cap of Liberty scion cut and ready to attach to rootIMG_3005.JPG

Rootstock split to accept scionIMG_3006.JPG

Scion inserted into rootstock makingIMG_3007.JPG sure cambium ( outer light green ring) layers align to provide nutrition path

Graft secured with grafting tape This one is elastic and you can get a good tight wrapIMG_3008.JPG

Final waxed and sealed graft. I use grafting wax that I use a double boiler with a small hot plate I also wax the top of the scion to prevent moisture from escaping from the scionIMG_3009.JPG

The variety change graft. Notice the size of the rootstock which I first used on 2014. Its now a Dabinette They were both watered and are now in my basement which is in the mid to low 50's Keeping fingers crossedIMG_3010.JPG

Nice post. You make it look easy, but for some reason I don't :)

-John

Thanks for the pix!

Nice tutorial. I always think about doing a picture sequence but once I get rolling I just want to graft and not monkey around with taking pictures. Thinking about grafting some stone fruits inside this year and getting them started in pots. From everything I have read the best success comes at higher temps (sustained warmth in the 70s) I would rather have the comfort of working on a bench top than trying to do things in the nursery.

Nice post. You make it look easy, but for some reason I don't :)

-John
It is easy once you do it a few times LOL I only get a 70 -75 % success rate so its not all that easy

Nice job, Paul.

Thanks for the pix, Aero. Nice looking finished product. It's a great hobby / addiction to have for this time of year.

Woot woot! the time is upon us!

I did 4 more today that were in root trappers. Converted some varieties tha I already had some of already. Also ordered my 25 G.41's from Cummins. Good news all they have a new person there Amanda and she is on top of things. Maybe they neede that women's touch up there!!!!!

Nice pics, thanks for sharing Aero !

The rootstock is much easier to graft when in a root trapper btw. Did 2 more today so I have 8 already rolling which is one of each of my GRIN scions except Sweet Alford and I grafted one of those last year