Dry Fire A Bow? Now What?

I bought my nephew a parker crossbow for graduation one year. We were sighting it in. I think it was about the 6th arrow that was shot when the bow exploded. It turns out that Parker's factory is within driving distance for me. I personally took the bow back to the factory. The only thing that was not replaced was the stock. Every functional component of the bow was new. This was likely a flawed limb that made it through QC. The biggest risk these companies have is liability. Even when user error is involved, they don't take any shortcuts.

Thanks,

Jack

We can sometimes take for granted that people know what they're doing. They're called accidents because they're not done on purpose...but most accidents could be avoided with a little common sense. I'd be a combination of mad and still be glad no one was seriously injured. On the bow side of things I'd never trust that bow again unless the factory gave it a clean bill of health. Even then I'm not sure I'd trust it either. There's just too much stress on those limbs. I love my guns, but if I know someone well enough or have seen how they handle their guns I'll let them shoot them once I know they're going to be completely safe. I never let anyone draw my bow for just that reason. Even an accidental dry fire is too possible..

This really hits close to home. I was once the idiot who handed a new bow to a friend and he dry fired it by mistake. Bow was 2 days old to me. Peeled the cam in half like a pop can. Literally sounded like the crack of a bull whip when it went off. After the shock and awe phased passed I called the shop where I purchased it and they said to bring it in. Replaced the cam and cables. I inquired about the integrity of the limbs. The owner assured me they were ok and I watched him shoot the bow several times as did I before being stratified. No charge.
I shoot my bow year round probably 150 to 300 arrows a week. Fast forward 5 years and I had the bottom limb delaminate. Took bow back to the shop and replaced limbs. No charge.
I've seen newer bows fail and I've seen older bows fail that were never dry fired. It was a dumb move on his part to draw the bow in a non shooting environment. I think it was even dumber on my part to allow him to do it. He is a life long friend of mine and yes, we are still close friends today. I think some of you are a little harsh when it comes to your friends. We all make mistakes. Hope no one was hurt.
The only part about my situation that still stings is the crap I take from the shop every time I go there. Owner asks me if "my friend" is still dry firing bows. Still have the bow. Still shoots great.

Bows for the past number of years are built to withstand several dry fires. Heck, some companies have exhibits at the trade shows showing it happen over and over. If the limbs didn't crack now, it's probably fine. At the same token I think it's fair to ask this person to purchase new limbs (not the entire bow) and the shop labor to put it back together.

Send it to Matthews. Let them know it has been dry fired. Have them check the structural integrity of the riser. Tell them to replace EVERYTHING else with new items. Send the bill to the guy who dry fired the bow. That is the only way I would shoot it again and it is only fair that the guy who did the deed pays the "restitution".

Mathews has a decent customer service. I bought a used bow, that was that years model, I found a small chip in the top arm, I called Mathews on it, they gave me a service number, then told me to bring it into my local Mathews dealer, They installed 2 new arms, and strings, at no charge. I was upfront and honest with the Mathews rep on the phone, I told them I bought it used, and I had it for about a week, and I noticed a small chip, and I was wondering if it was safe to shoot. I at no time expected, nor asked them to pay for the bill. In fact even when I went to pick the bow up, I expected to pay the bill, the repair place told me that the repair number I gave them was Mathews paying for the repairs. I was surprisingly shocked. I called back Mathews and let them know how appreciative I was, and I also purchased a new Mathews bow the same day I picked up the other bow. I figured I already had the money spent in my head, I may as well spend it.

Seriously, call Mathews, they will check it out for you, or have you bring it to a repair facility that can give it an ultrasound.

He is on his way to the mathews dealer as we speak, I will find out what will be done in a bit!

The dealer will take care of it. As mentioned above, limbs today are far superior to the limbs we used in the past. If damaged, they'll swap 'em out. No need to send back to mfgr. You wouldn't believe how common of a problem dryfire is.

Sticknstring is correct!

Mathews has a one time, no questions asked policy that will replace everything. Dealer will have all the parts replaced and the bow ready to go in less than a week.

That's tough to beat for customer service !

Sticknstring is correct!

Mathews has a one time, no questions asked policy that will replace everything. Dealer will have all the parts replaced and the bow ready to go in less than a week.
That's cool
Matthews is a great company. As several stated above Bows are built tough these days. I wouldn't be scared to keep the bow and I bet it shoots perfect. If your buddy can't get past the fact that it was dry fired and wants to sell it let me know;)

OK a little side track here
many MANY yrs ago, a friend of mine knew NOTHING about bows, I'm talking the mid 90's here

we were at a local sporting goods store that had all its bow out in an isle, for all you screw with at will ,
well, my buddy, walked down the row and picked out several of the bows(thinking of buying one) and dry fired every one he picked up before I seen what he was doing LOL
Thank got NONE of them came apart like OP"s friends did
but he dry fired several of them 3-4-5 times, as he didn;t think it hurt them to do so,again DUMB to archery gear
and worse off, the sales person just stood there and left him do it, never said a word to him, till I STOPED HIM<
I was more worried about him getting hurt than damaging the bows, as the store didn;t seem top care about that so why should I??

MOST all Bow's made today ARE dry fired many times at tha factory to MAKE sure they can take that abuse in case of an accident and for legal reason's

SO< odd's are it FINE< and if NOTHING is showing to the naked eye, there will be NO way to tell if damages under the skin have happened

I doubt if you send it back to Mathew's they will re[place anything for FREE< as it will be used error here 100% and doubt there going to give you a FREE new bow
sucks, for sure, but honestly, they would be out money if they did give it to you free
NEVER hurts to ask, for sure, but don't expect it done for free here either!!