Drought/Heat tolerant clover mix?

IkemanTx

5 year old buck +
I’m looking at planting an acre and a half of some type of clover mix early next spring, and would like to find a decent mix that can handle the dry, HOT Texas summer. I don’t have the ability to plant in the fall, though I know that would better my odds. A neighboring rancher will be grazing the place until the end of December.

I would like to kind of stagger the varieties peak times to extend the use, but am finding myself a little over my head when it comes to clover varieties. A lot of the peak times I can find on different varieties are not growing zone or last frost specific, so I find it hard to translate to local conditions.

I am thinking chicory would be a good drought/heat companion, but would love some guidance on clover varieties. I figure I could do a 3-way clover blend with some chicory added in.

I hear Durana is good with heat, and Red clover, I am also considering possibly an arrowleaf like “Blackhawk”, and maybe Crimson for early season...

Any recommendations on a 2-way or 3-way blend to cover as far into summer as possible, but not die out completely in the summer heat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Durana is one of the most drought tolerant I know of after it is established Chicory is a good insurance policy if it gets too hot and dry for clover to establish. I might consider fall planting it. I'd just go out and broadcast durana and chicory while it is being grazed. If you get the timing right, the cattle will plant it for you and they will be off of the plot before much of it germinates. Next spring, instead of using gly, since the cattle will have most of the grass eaten, try spraying with cleth. You might over seed with clover/chicory then as well. I can't say for sure this will work, but it is something to contemplate.

Thanks,

Jack

Ikeman,

I just don't think its possible( I would love to be proven wrong!!!!!)

Im afraid our "perennial"clovers act more like reseeding annuals in my part of east Texas

I have had reasonable success with crimson/arrowleaf (fall planting) lasting until mid June

Louisiana S-1 (dutch) goes dormant or dies by july 4

After July 4th Rain goes "off" and heat goes "on" in Van Zandt county

bill

Chicory, Alfalfa, Durana, Burrado, and Sainfoin

Ikeman,

I just don't think its possible( I would love to be proven wrong!!!!!)

Im afraid our "perennial"clovers act more like reseeding annuals in my part of east Texas

I have had reasonable success with crimson/arrowleaf (fall planting) lasting until mid June

Louisiana S-1 (dutch) goes dormant or dies by july 4

After July 4th Rain goes "off" and heat goes "on" in Van Zandt county

bill

I’m in a similar boat up in Fannin County. I assume anything I plant will at least go dormant for July and August, but hopefully not die.

Reseeding annuals may be the direction to go in this area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk