Drones: Let's talk

On an ag note, saw this the other day... interesting video.

I have a feeling it will be a while before FIMCO has one of these in your local ag store. lol

Looking online, looks like the DJI Agras MG-1S will start out somewhere between $10k and $15k. Actually some units already on ebay priced around $9k.

Seeing as how I backpack spray a few acres once or twice a year don't see making that purchase anytime soon though can see how it might be useful to commercial folks in a sweet spot size wise between being too big for backpack and too small for plane / other manual and mechanical means.

Will give the DJI folks this, they have some really good innovative designers. Here's a link that talks to the specs of the unit. Mavic I got is built like a tank compared to the first unit I owned and would bet this unit's pretty solidly built as well.

http://www.dji.com/mg-1

2.6 gallon tank is sure limiting though, and especially at a high enough price that buying multiple drones will be a tough pill to swallow. Think crop duster pilots will be in business in the US until much bigger ag spray drones are developed (probably just a matter of time if not already in the works). Linked Wall Street Journal page has a video that speaks a bit to the ag drone.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/chinese-drone-maker-plows-into-agriculture-1448573490?alg=y

2.6 gallon tank is sure limiting though, and especially at a high enough price that buying multiple drones will be a tough pill to swallow. Think crop duster pilots will be in business in the US until much bigger ag spray drones are developed (probably just a matter of time if not already in the works). Linked Wall Street Journal page has a video that speaks a bit to the ag drone.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/chinese-drone-maker-plows-into-agriculture-1448573490?alg=y
Bigbend
With all the research you have done I will nominate you to buy one and give us a evaluation towards the end of the summer. Remember Father's Day is around the corner !:emoji_relaxed:

Cool stuff guys, I really like looking at aerials of places I stomp around in..such a different perspective. Like any new technology prices in the future will be a fraction of what they are now.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Started with the intent for a land tour video but after talking to parents about struggles they've had to market a home they have for sale turned it a bit more into a broader real-estate / property type video so they could see how a drone can help.

Main reason I share is to just show how much easier they are to fly now than earlier models and how good they are at capturing smooth video. HONESTLY, I could hardly fly the one I had before the Mavic AT ALL and certainly not smoothly enough to capture ANY decent film. Footage shown truly is with just a few hours of flying under my belt, and most of it spent actually capturing the shared footage.

Still enough land footage mixed in to see some tree tubes and unfortunately a few spots #$!@ hogs have been rooting.

Started with the intent for a land tour video but after talking to parents about struggles they've had to market a home they have for sale turned it a bit more into a broader real-estate / property type video so they could see how a drone can help.

Main reason I share is to just show how much easier they are to fly now than earlier models and how good they are at capturing smooth video. HONESTLY, I could hardly fly the one I had before the Mavic AT ALL and certainly not smoothly enough to capture ANY decent film. Footage shown truly is with just a few hours of flying under my belt, and most of it spent actually capturing the shared footage.

Still enough land footage mixed in to see some tree tubes and unfortunately a few spots #$!@ hogs have been rooting.

Hey BigBend
Is that your parents place ? If it is will you adopt me into your family. That house is killer? :emoji_joy:

Hey BigBend
Is that your parents place ? If it is will you adopt me into your family. That house is killer? :emoji_joy:
Big Snow Man, actually my place in the video and I MUCH appreciate I'm blessed FAR more than deserved. Purchased it in 2013 and realtor hunting buddy of mine described it as the world's nicest crack house when we first looked at it... and he was right. Roof was bad, exterior had holes in the walls, and almost all the windows were broken and / or had to be replaced. Squatters were in it shortly before we first saw it. Took us a year to get it livable and move in. The positive is we got it with 112 acres in an area I love and for less than we were looking at paying for significantly smaller homes with 2 to 10 acres in Tallahassee just twenty minutes away.

As for my Dad, he was one of 10 kids born to a sharecropper in S.C. during the depression. Marine during WWII and used the GI bill to go to college. Into my teen years we lived super frugally in a small simple home while he saved and gathered materials to build his dream home... it ain't exactly shabby and is for sale if anyone is looking for a great place in the Carolinas.

131456_1780813715604_2776914_o.jpg Snow3.jpg

Will add one thing to the above... Ioved my own time in the Corps is it showed me I could be fairly happy living out of a seabag. When away from home didn't miss a single material thing... missed my wife so bad it hurt, missed my dog, and missed my friends and family. Try not to forget that lesson!

I'm using a $50 shipped Amazon drone. Camera is crappy but it gets me into the hobby on the cheap.. it does pics and videos and links to your smart phone. I enjoy tinkering with it.

I'm sure a DJI one is in my future.

Attachments

• 20170703201635.jpg
    20170703201635.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 31
Did a mod to my Mavic where I added extensions to the legs then attached floats to the extensions... tested it VERY CAREFULLY on my pond numerous times to ensure I could take off and land on water before taking the drone down to the Gulf with me.

Shot the clip below just 4 days before Hurricane Michael walloped our area and took out the docks from which I launch. At the time I went out Michael was just a tropical disturbance down around the Yucatan peninsula...

And having shared a couple of pictures of the place my Dad built, share a drone video of it as well. Sadly just one month shy of his 90th birthday my Dad passed away around Thanksgiving of 2017. Hard for me to watch the video without getting choked up due to all the work he (as well as his brick mason brothers, my mother, and even my own brothers and I) put into clearing the land and caring for it since the mid-70s. Still for sale if anyone has particular interest in the foothill area of the Carolinas.

I stepped up and got a dji spark fly more package. More time with it the more i love it.

Attachments

• dji1545174263527.jpg
    dji1545174263527.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 20
  • dji1544904767006.jpg
    dji1544904767006.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 19
  • dji1545174287730.jpg
    dji1545174287730.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 20
BigBend talk with Bill he has a bunch of money that’s just sitting in his garage in Jersey I’m sure he will buy your folks place.

BigBend talk with Bill he has a bunch of money that’s just sitting in his garage in Jersey I’m sure he will buy your folks place.
Big Snow Man, if true I highly doubt he'll part with it... my own personal experience is many who work hard to save up cash like that are the slowest to make big impulsive purchases. Honest Injuns, even if buying a gun, tv, etc... I'll usually spend a few weeks agonizing over data (and even spreadsheets) before I'll pull the trigger.

Last edited:
I have the Perrot bebop 2 and really like it. Decent camera easy to run and decent battery life. I have only begun to play with it, but I am pretty impressed so far. I paid $180 for it.

My garage "pole barn" has no cash. It's holding better, (to me) but my Mopar's and extra parts are my rusty gold....:)
How many guys can say they have new in the box 1970 Plymouth superbird front blinker lenses or a new 1970 Hemi water pump. Rusty gold!

My son may toss it all in dumpster someday, but I like having it.....

2 weeks ago I was at an antique/junk store in Ft Myers. Found an advertised "vintage" hubcap for $10 bucks. I own it now. It's a $100 stainless red line mopar dog dish in mint condition. Got two 1969/1970 Mopar AIr conditioning- heater water valves (no-one should care what that is). But if you need one. GOOD LUCK!

Yeah I'm odd at some things. But loo at what we do for deer. :emoji_astonished: