Dormant oil

NorthWI

5 year old buck +
I am in zone 3/4 in northern WI and the snow melt has finally let me get out to spray my 65 apple trees. The majority are dormant, a few have slight color at the tips of the buds with no leaf protrusion. Is it too late to use a mineral oil based dormant oil? Should I use an all season Neem oil instead? Has anyone done damage to apple trees by spraying dormant oil too late and if so what happened?

Thank for any responses

Dormant oil cannot hurt trees. Well, unless it freez the buds or blossoms. Spray away.

Dormant oil is used to smother (deprive of oxygen) insect eggs laid on the branches. The oil coats the eggs. So you have to soak the branches well.

Dormant oil cannot hurt trees. Well, unless it freez the buds or blossoms. Spray away.
Thank you, I was just worried because the label says must be applied before bud swell. I have to put off the spraying more now because the night temps are going below freezing again...

Too late for zone 5/6 in NY? Neem oil like captain jacks overkill, or just canola oil? Guys think its' even worth it. I do have a maybe 150 acre or so orchard a 1/2 mile away and some random trees in the neighborhood. I got 4 mature and 25 to 30 trees planted in 2023.

Was pruning last week and got an inchworm on me. thin kit was a canker worm.