Dormant Oil Spray Question

MM Ryan

A good 3 year old buck
Any issue spraying Dormant Tree Oil on apple trees that have just been pruned? Trees are 3-7 years along and well established.

No. Spray away!

Thanks, I’ll give it a go. Any suggested spray? I saw an article from Bill Mayo suggesting Gordon’s but wondering if others have any thoughts?

I always just bought it but you can make your own if you want.
I used to have a few around here.... just a sec.
<dig dig dig shuffle shuffle shuffle dig dig Ahah! NaB!*>
Here they are:
Dormant Oil Spray Recipes

Spray deciduous fruit trees with horticultural oil to kill any over wintering insects such as scale and aphids. Spray on a calm, dry, day with temperatures above 45F. Spray until the oil begins to drip off the branches.

Recipe One
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoon liquid soap
  • 1 gallon water
Directions
Combine the soap and oil and stir to blend thoroughly. Add the water a bit at
a time, stirring as you go (water and oil don’t really emulsify; the soap
helps the process).

Dormant Oil Spray; Recipe 2

From GardenGuides.com

Dormant oil is a nontoxic spray to control sucking and chewing insects in the egg stage before they can do any damage. Use dormant oil on trees, shrubs and evergreens in early spring while they are still dormant, before buds develop. You can buy the spray from any garden supply store or make your own from mineral oil and soap using the following recipe:

1 gallon mineral oil
1 pound oil-based soap
1/2 gallon water

Combine all ingredients, boil, and mix very well. Dilute 1:20 with water and use immediately because the ingredients separate quickly.

Spray on a day when the temperature is above 40 degrees and you are not expecting a freeze for at least 24 hours. Drench the branches of your shrubs and trees thoroughly - it's impossible to overdo it.

For citrus trees, you should buy special dormant oil from your garden supply store. Citrus leaves can be damaged by the film that remains on the leaves.

Great Info. Appreciate the details, thanks.

It’s not advised to apply dormant oil when temps will fall below freezing so if it’s still freezing at night where you are I’d wait a bit.

Thanks, Peeps. Didn’t realize that. Good tip.

I always just bought it but you can make your own if you want.
I used to have a few around here.... just a sec.
<dig dig dig shuffle shuffle shuffle dig dig Ahah! NaB!*>
Here they are:
Dormant Oil Spray Recipes

Spray deciduous fruit trees with horticultural oil to kill any over wintering insects such as scale and aphids. Spray on a calm, dry, day with temperatures above 45F. Spray until the oil begins to drip off the branches.

Recipe One
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoon liquid soap
  • 1 gallon water
Directions
Combine the soap and oil and stir to blend thoroughly. Add the water a bit at
a time, stirring as you go (water and oil don’t really emulsify; the soap
helps the process).

Dormant Oil Spray; Recipe 2

From GardenGuides.com

Dormant oil is a nontoxic spray to control sucking and chewing insects in the egg stage before they can do any damage. Use dormant oil on trees, shrubs and evergreens in early spring while they are still dormant, before buds develop. You can buy the spray from any garden supply store or make your own from mineral oil and soap using the following recipe:

1 gallon mineral oil
1 pound oil-based soap
1/2 gallon water

Combine all ingredients, boil, and mix very well. Dilute 1:20 with water and use immediately because the ingredients separate quickly.

Spray on a day when the temperature is above 40 degrees and you are not expecting a freeze for at least 24 hours. Drench the branches of your shrubs and trees thoroughly - it's impossible to overdo it.

For citrus trees, you should buy special dormant oil from your garden supply store. Citrus leaves can be damaged by the film that remains on the leaves.
Do you have any experience with cedar apple rust and your dormant oil preventing it?

I used dormant oil last year and still got CAR

Dormant oil has zero impact on CAR

Dormant oil is a feel good thing but hey it makes sense that it smothers overwintering stuff lol

Dormant oil is a feel good thing but hey it makes sense that it smothers overwintering stuff lol
You don't do a dormant oil/copper spray?

I did a dormant oil and permethrin spray for the first time this year so I’ll be interested to see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't do a dormant oil/copper spray?

i did one a few years ago and am not really sure it it made any difference one way or another and its not that i dont believe in it its just the time of the year with pruning grafting and weather changes it leaves a limited amount of time and my tractor is heavy and makes a lot of ruts this time of year after the thaw so its not that i am against its just circumstance. The science behind it is solid Since I have a spray schedule during the year I think missing it wont do much harm

If you are seeing a touch of green on your trees, is it too late?

If you are seeing a touch of green on your trees, is it too late?
Yes. Get ready for first cover spray of captan or whatever else you use as fungicide

Will dormant oil kill the overwintering beneficial insects as well as the pests?

Made it up to my place and sprayed today. Wanted to do it earlier but couldn’t get up there. We went from winter to frogs chirping mega quick this year. Still found a couple spots of snow in the woods. My trees ranged from still dormant to silver tip to a couple at green tip. I also fertilized them and put down a lil pel lime. Only found 1 tick on me at the end of the day.