Do you remember it being colder

I love how an observation always has to turn political. I’m so conservative I would make Trump blush. I tried my best to preface the fact that I am hardly a climate alarmist. I get that politicians are using climate change to control certain aspects of our life. But I am also not too ignorant to understand that we are a warming phase right now, and I have no idea what’s causing it but it is absolutely a fact
Didn't mean to strike a nerve. Wasn't a personal attack by any means. Calm down

I agree it is warmer THIS YEAR.

Didn't mean to strike a nerve. Wasn't a personal attack by any means. Calm down
Sorry didn’t take it that way. Just hate how everything is political. Trust me it makes me squirm to even think I may have to agree with something a liberal thinks…even though I strongly disagree with their solution.

The MO rifle seasons haven't changed much from when I started hunting back in 91. There's very few years we ever get a snowfall to hunt, so it's not soon forgotten.

In 96, the opener was in the teens with 14" of snow.

In 98, I was hunting in my shorts.....

I just meant that the agenda pushers take every little thing and go crazy with it. Not trying to get the politics going. We've already got way too many things turning political for several years now in my opinion. Back to our regular scheduled programming. Being from Minnesota it wouldn't hurt my feelings if this became a typical winter as far as weather goes. Have not had to plow once and I'm ok with it. I don't make any money plowing it's just to keep my own stuff open during the winter. Last year I was feeling burnt out on plowing about halfway through the season. I like this much better.

Perfect hunting season here would be just cold enough to get rid of the mosquitos. Dare to dream

For sure. But trends are hard to ignore. Weather is what is happening now, climate is what is happening through a range. I’m not a manmade climate change guy per se but something is warming up the earth right now. And my anecdotal observations are it’s been warming as a trend through my lifetime. Will it still get cold…yep but overall it’s warmer. There are facts to support a warm up. I’m not selling my gas guzzler and I’d fly a private plane in two seconds if given a chance but it’s hard to ignore the rise in temps since man has become more industrialized. I think all the building, asphalt, sprawl is a big factor in not allowing uv to absorb for a lack of better term. All the heat gets radiated back into our atmosphere. Think about how much asphalt and shingled black roofs and giant metal buildings we have now compared to 1900. That has to have some effect. But hell maybe not. I’m open to science.
  • Earth’s temperature has risen by an average of 0.11° Fahrenheit (0.06° Celsius) per decade since 1850, or about 2° F in total.
    • The rate of warming since 1982 is more than three times as fast: 0.36° F (0.20° C) per decade.
  • 2023 was the warmest year since global records began in 1850 by a wide margin.
    • It was 2.12 °F (1.18 °C) above the 20th-century average of 57.0°F (13.9°C).
    • It was 2.43 °F (1.35 °C) above the pre-industrial average (1850-1900).
  • The 10 warmest years in the historical record have all occurred in the past decade (2014-2023).
I'm not educated enough to argue either side of climate change. But I remember being taught in school about multiple ice ages occurring on earth. According to Utah Geological Survey, at least 5 ice ages over the last 2.4 billion years. With the last one beginning 11,000 years ago. I'm not sure I buy into it all of a sudden being mans fault. What I think is mans fault is the ability to monetize the situation. :-(

ice_ages1.gif

Last edited:
I just meant that the agenda pushers take every little thing and go crazy with it. Not trying to get the politics going. We've already got way too many things turning political for several years now in my opinion. Back to our regular scheduled programming. Being from Minnesota it wouldn't hurt my feelings if this became a typical winter as far as weather goes. Have not had to plow once and I'm ok with it. I don't make any money plowing it's just to keep my own stuff open during the winter. Last year I was feeling burnt out on plowing about halfway through the season. I like this much better.
Do people still snowmobile locally around the cities? How far south do folks still bother to buy sleds? Does anyone ride in Iowa? I swear back in the early 80’s when I was kid there everyone from me to my grandparents to our neighbors all had sleds and it wasn’t necessarily to go north

Do I look like the Washington post? I didn’t say anything about making this front page. I didn’t say we need to do anything about it. But I am observing it certainly seems warmer to me than when I was a kid.
It’s on the front page of my WaPo! ;)

My point was that I don’t see any evidence that this isn’t exactly what we should expect.

I'm not educated enough to argue either side of climate change. But I remember being taught in school about multiple ice ages occurring on earth. According to Utah Geological Survey, at least 5 ice ages over the last 2.4 billion years. With the last one beginning 11,000 years ago. I'm not sure I buy into it all of a sudden being mans fault. What I think is mans fault is the ability to monetize the situation. :-(

ice_ages1.gif

I seem to remember them having us worried about a looming ice age when I was a youngster 35 years ago.

Do people still snowmobile locally around the cities? How far south do folks still bother to buy sleds? Does anyone ride in Iowa? I swear back in the early 80’s when I was kid there everyone from me to my grandparents to our neighbors all had sleds and it wasn’t necessarily to go north
Lots of people I know have been going to Michigan just to go snowmobiling. Last year was probably this first time in about 4 years that they didn't need to leave the area to find enough snow. Glad I don't have a new sled sitting there unable to use but still having the payments--that would suck.

This graph @FarmerDan

No one said you said that part. I said that’s what people talking about winters aren’t like they housed to be.
LOL! I said I was just having fun...it was the child in me coming out! I got my own chuckle out of it. My apologies...

Lots of people I know have been going to Michigan just to go snowmobiling. Last year was probably this first time in about 4 years that they didn't need to leave the area to find enough snow. Glad I don't have a new sled sitting there unable to use but still having the payments--that would suck.
Just hung up with my dad. Had to make sure I wasn’t being selective in my memory. He was born and raised in mn outside the cities. I was asking him about sledding in the earl 80’s. He said they would go all winter. Nov-March. Always had snow. Would sink to your waist around Christmas. He said the 60-70’s were even better. His dad has pics of drifts high enough to touch tops of power poles.

And today I'm wearing a medium weight flannel shirt!

Omi I have to wonder if you like cold so much how can you handle living in Georgia. I know 3 months of summer is too much for me.

Well I walked uphill to school and uphill home from school. Lolll

Here is the rub. Add 12 million more illegal aliens to the USA. Think about how much water that will take of the homeland. Add all the news cars and roads n homes and trees that will be removed. The new second coming of bidens slavery is going to cause massive climate change. Yet somehow they get a free pass. What you see now is going to magnify.

Here is the rub. Add 12 million more illegal aliens to the USA. Think about how much water that will take of the homeland. Add all the news cars and roads n homes and trees that will be removed. The new second coming of bidens slavery is going to cause massive climate change. Yet somehow they get a free pass. What you see now is going to magnify.
100%. The hypocrisy is staggering

Look! The Earth is flat after all!

LANDANDOCEANTEMPS.png