Do you feel lucky

Steve is there a more affordable option from redneck that offers the same features that would work for my up coming set ups?

I'll check

Steve, please do a review on the ATV Firminator. Thanks

Steve, please do a review on the ATV Firminator. Thanks

Will do. Here's what I can tell you so far.
It is very easy to adjust and FAR more adjustable than the PlotMaster units I used years ago (they may have improved since)
Their drop seeder appears to be precise.
I THINK I'll essentially be able to use it as a poor man's no till drill. It has 6 farm grade 16" discs that can be set straight and are spaced 7" apart. With its adjustments, I should be able to get them to go about as deep or shallow as I want. So, fill the seeder with soybeans, set the disc straight and adjust the depth of the disc and pressure from the culipacker right and I should be able to "no till" soybeans, corn, brassicas, cereal rye and so on. Between the cuts from the disc and the pressure from the spines on the cultipacker, somewhere over half of the seeds should be sunk into the dirt at the appropriate depth.

Here are the potential issues I see:
800 lbs isn't light and there are very convenient locations for adding weight (or carrying seeds), but I'm sure it will only cut through "so much" thatch. I have no clue what the upper limit for that is yet.
Between the 6 cuts from the disc and the cultipacker's spines, most of the seeds should get sunk appropriately, but there will be some seed waste. I just don't know how much or little that is yet. I suspect the waste will be fairly minimal, but I could very well be wrong.
What I'm not as optimistic about is its ability to "no till" into standing beans. One should be able to run the discs very shallow through standing beans and drop seeds in the channels and on the dirt, doing a hybrid top seeding of brassicas, cereal rye. The catch is that I don't know if I'll be able to prop the cultipacker up enough to not kill all the beans over 1' tall. I honestly don't know either way, and I know I may be nit picking here, but I'm trying to be as creative and accurate on its capabilities and limitations as practically possible.

I was very skeptical when I was told we had an "all in one" food plot implement coming on as a sponsor. The conversation I had with their VP gave me a better feeling, as he told me flat out that it is NOT a 1 pass and done system, as others horribly inaccurately have claimed in the past. He also told me that the most effective method of breaking sod is turning with the discs down on the ATV model (you still should raise them on the tractor model). I'd have cried BS if he said anything else and appreciated his honesty. Still, I've used several over the years and was consistently very disappointed. Heck, I've never used an ATV disc I've been even marginally happy with and the "all in ones" have been soooo much worse. This is the most heavy duty, well built ATV all in one I've seen to date, which makes me "cautiously optimistic." That said, I'll still have to put it through its paces to be sold either way.

That's about all I can say for now.

Steve, a new thread with some photos might be in order here? If you are so inclined...you could copy the above post into it to start the thread?

Yeah...I figured I'd do something along those lines when I have a little more info/value to add. It's going to be a month or more before I will have anything more of substance to add...And rather than "I thinks," I'd like to be able to do more, "when I did "this," "here" is the result."

Steve,

I would REALLY like your input on this one.....

Those "sealed" windows (brand doesn't matter, I'm talking in general terms)... IMHO there is NO way they would keep a deer from smelling you.

I see guys talk about being in a blind to conceal their scent. I just can't wrap my brain around it. The drug dealers wrap their 'stuff' in plastic, bury it in concrete, vacuum seal it, etc. etc. Yet a good dog can walk past the vehicle and detect the scent.

There is NO way a blind could possibly contain your scent. Even if it did, after a small amount of time the blind would be 'full'. So either you are going to run out of oxygen, or the blind isn't containing your scent.

I'm not trying to attack you, it's just that this topic has always bugged me and I've never seen it discussed in depth.

What are your thoughts???

Thanks,

-John

Not feeling attacked at all, John. Here are my honest, random thoughts on the topic. I'll skip some and readers digest others, as I have a bunch of thoughts on all this.

First and most important though, deer aren't dogs. They're both animals, but a human and a deer are too, and our senses of smell are completely different. Many years ago, I researched the differences in their sense of smell. It's been too long ago to try to quote, but I know that the U of Madison did research on it. One thing they found was that a fox could smell an unbroken egg from 1 mile away, downwind. Deer tested somewhere less than half that (can't remember exact distance, but that it was less than half). I've always seen deer/dog comparisons as apples and oranges.

Also, deer don't react negatively each time they smell human. If they did, they'd never live in suburban areas. I believe they have what I see as tolerance levels, both applying to where the odor is coming from (fine if it's coming from the house, but seen more seriously when it's coming from within the woods, for example) and how far away/faint the odor is (a big woods buck may remain calm if he catches a whiff of faint odor from a hunter 300 yards away, yet turn inside out if he smells that same hunter from 50 yards).

Here's is what I believe I know. You just plain can not stop the human body from producing and generating odors. We are odor producing factories that never shut down. Short of being in an air tight bubble, it is impossible for us not to be giving off an odor. That said, I have had deer seemingly down wind so many times that didn't appear to notice me that I am thoroughly convinced that we can defeat a deer's sense of smell. 10 times, 50 times, even 100, I could believe that the winds weren't doing what I believed. I've played with smoke machines enough to realize that a wind can be hitting the back of your neck, only to hit an up, down, right or left draft just 5 yards out, with the wind still hitting the back of your neck. Thermals, micro thermals and all sorts of other cool words to describe wind flows occur far more then many realize. I don't pretend to know how many deer I've had seemingly downwind of me since I began going nuts on odor control, but it's a very safe bet to say its somewhere over 500 deer. At numbers like that, I don't believe they're all flukes.

I am torn between whether it is because the odor is faint enough to disperse before hitting their nose or if it is because it's faint enough to trick their senses into believing I'm too far away to be a threat. I have no clue which, but believe it has to be one of the two.

Before I start on why I am optimistic about Redneck's ability to conceal odor, I have to say that I have 0 hunting experience with them. This is just what I thought when I climbed in them before setup.

The windows all have weather proofing seals and numerous pressure producing latches per window. It appears to produce a pretty darn tight seal. Is it airtight? Well, if it was they'd be in danger of a lawsuit when that guy crawls in extra early in the AM and pulls an all day sit. It sure looks like it will create very minimal odor streams, though. Take at least minimal odor control steps, and I have to think that it will be as minimal as when I'm in a ground blind with deer 5 yards downwind, having taking odor control to the max. I can't say either way if I'll be right or wrong about that yet, as I've yet to send someone that takes marginal odor control steps into on and I haven't ever hunted one, with or without extreme odor control steps.

As I mentioned earlier though, I believe if you open the window with deer downwind, you better be ready to shoot fast, and it will probably be a risky shot, as the deer will likely smell you and bolt at any second. Again, just a guess.

P.S. Over that same period, I've been busted less than a dozen times and can point to why on most of them: i.e. 2 seasons ago, I must not have allowed my bow case to fully dry after washing it out. I got busted 3 times before I realized the styrofoam smelled just a smudge swanky. treated it, problem solved.

In order to pull it off, I treat absolutely every item brought in the deer woods with me, and I mean every single item. There is only 1 single thing that was in the truck driving to the hunting location goes into the woods with me, and that's my body, and even that was covered in treated clothing during transport that is completely shed before hitting the woods. Every single item, from my arrows, to grunt tubes to myself is treated. It's not for everyone, as most would see it as way too much work. For me, on the rare times I don't go that nuts, it really eats at me the entire sit. I'm obsessive compulsive on odor control, needing to think I know why I expect deer to be passing that stand (where they're coming from, where they're going and why....Of course, I'm often wrong, but it drives me nuts if I don't think I know the answers to those ?s) and setting/trimming stands.