Disc suggestions please... - Transfered from QDMA forum

get as heavy as you can lift, be ready to steer with the split brakes !

They made the last JD 790 in 2007. Some risk that friend's rig not up to published spec from probably 15 years or more ago anyway. My opinion is skip worrying about using with both tractors and just concentrate on heavier disk that DK45 can still handle. Get something that makes even that tractor work some. So that means your min till work will be done with DK45 also. So what, let the other guy do all the mowing or seeding or whatever.

I figure my disc setup is maybe at 40 lbs/disc level. On sandy loam it is still marginal with sod that has not been turned in 4-5 years. If I had heavy soil I would want way more weight. It's an old disc that only cost me $300 so still can't complain.

Thanks guys. I think you are right. I forgot about the 24" lift spec. As much as I would like to get something both tractors could use, I think anything lighter would not do the job on the firebreaks or would take several passes.

By the way, anyone use and of the tubular Everything Attachments disc. I'll like some feedback on the brand.

Thanks,

Jack

going to admit I didn;t read all the post here

so forgive me if this is repeated info

but when buying a disc, IMO< things you want are simply, the largest disc's you can get, the taller they are the less junk that gets in between them to clog up,. if cleaners fail, and I prefer disc with GOOD cleaners that are strong and well made not cheap cheesy and can be replaced!
slotted (at least on the front) as they will ALWAYS cut better on a first pass on any ground with any material still on it

and pending design, WEIGHT of frame and strength of things
stronger will always be better, but weight, of things, most fall into what your tractor can handle

I have MANY old DRAG behind disc that work awesome, due to they have weight, or can have weight added
so, pending one's budget, these can also be a option

but for any 3 point hitch set up's
weight can be a factor on what tractor can handle more or less!
as can width of disc too!
gravy tow behinds can be Larger/wider in my experience that 3 point designs one's!
so, smaller HP tractor can normally pull wider disc, than use a 3 point hitch designed one!

transport wheels are a BIG deal to some,,pending where its used and stored at

and LAST, IMO< make sure any disc has a LOT of grease zerks, and grease things OFTEN, before and after(and pending HOW Long being used, take a time out and grease mid goings, grease is your friend folks, its way cheaper than replacing parts) and takes a LOT less time)

going to admit I didn;t read all the post here

so forgive me if this is repeated info

but when buying a disc, IMO< things you want are simply, the largest disc's you can get, the taller they are the less junk that gets in between them to clog up,. if cleaners fail, and I prefer disc with GOOD cleaners that are strong and well made not cheap cheesy and can be replaced!
slotted (at least on the front) as they will ALWAYS cut better on a first pass on any ground with any material still on it

and pending design, WEIGHT of frame and strength of things
stronger will always be better, but weight, of things, most fall into what your tractor can handle

I have MANY old DRAG behind disc that work awesome, due to they have weight, or can have weight added
so, pending one's budget, these can also be a option

but for any 3 point hitch set up's
weight can be a factor on what tractor can handle more or less!
as can width of disc too!
gravy tow behinds can be Larger/wider in my experience that 3 point designs one's!
so, smaller HP tractor can normally pull wider disc, than use a 3 point hitch designed one!

transport wheels are a BIG deal to some,,pending where its used and stored at

and LAST, IMO< make sure any disc has a LOT of grease zerks, and grease things OFTEN, before and after(and pending HOW Long being used, take a time out and grease mid goings, grease is your friend folks, its way cheaper than replacing parts) and takes a LOT less time)

For firebreaks, I'm looking for a 3pt. In open fields, a towbehind is fine, but it can be pretty difficult to turn around with a tow behind in the woods on a firebreak.

But your post brings up another question. I believe the Everything Attachment discs I'm looking at (both the deluxe box frame and large box frame) use sealed greased bearings.

What to folks think about greaseable verses sealed bearings?

Thanks,

Jack

yes turning about with a tow behind can need more room,or need to get tricky and learn how to adjust and use backing up to get tighter turns(or have a nice 3 wheel older tractor LOL)

as for bearings, this is MY opinion on sealed VS geaeseable ones
I really think it comes down to the QUALITY of the bearings in question and how well there sealed and packed from the OEM
NOT all bearings are of the same quality by a BIG margin IMO

I have some Honda ATv's that use basically sealed bearings, and they last a fairly long time, being used LIGHTLY In water and mud
use them more often leave ATV sit out side for yrs and they always fail

Sealed bearings on my trucks drive shafts last me about 8-9 yrs and about a 100-130,000 miles IF I am lucky and truck is mostly STREET driven ONLY
run things off road a lot mud water and pending where parked(as if on pavement/concrete, or on top of grass, dirt,. gravel) and bearing life/U joints, axle joint life is HALF of things, as when all on road and parked on dry ground almost all the time

SO< there are factors to things IMO

BUT what I do know, is this, ON well cared for well greased farm equipment my farmers friends have that I got off them, that are 40-60 -80 yrs old, things grease before every use and after, are STILL working! and many things on original parts, NOW not HUGE farms(mostly 40-200 acres of working land) and things sort of retired at about 20-30 yrs of MAIN use, but still were used off and on all there life)
SO<
what do you think is acceptable in wear and tear, where will things be used, now parked and cared for??

greasable bearings, YOU know there is grease in them if you grease things, and will many times push out ant dirt or like that eat things, will also push water out if in there too!

sealed bearings, are a GAMBLE at times, as you DON"T know till one gets pretty bad and needs replacing!
unless your an extreme guy, and like to remove things, pick seals and check now and then LOL

I know on almost all bearings I buy and replace on Atv, motorcycles, and like things, I ALWAYS pull dust seals, and about 50% of the time, I find almost NO grease in the bearings, some time ZERO grease and most times a LOT of room for more, which I fill up and make sure there good before using!

so, again, brand of bearing?? where parked/stored used, and what your OK with as a life span of the part??
as what some might think is a long enough time, others won't and vice versa?

I am fine with adding grease, my simple peace of mind and some days, to be honest, it gives me something to do, or MAKES me feel like I did someone good ,
guess this is what happens when you retire and have extra time on your hands some days! HAHA!

We have used the Leinbach Machinery disk. It's a 3 point hitch style boxed frame disk with 4 gangs with 5 disks each 20 total 20" in size I believe its 82" wide and weighs 810lbs. To me one of it's best features is it's crank handle to easily adjust the gang angles.
https://www.everythingattachments.c...luxe-Box-Frame-Disc-Harrow-p/eta-xd-bf-dh.htm

Last edited:
We have used the Leinbach Machinery disk. It's a 3 point hitch style boxed frame disk with 4 gangs with 6 disks each 24 total 20" in size I believe its 82" wide and weighs 810lbs. To me one of it's best features is it's crank handle to easily adjust the gang angles.

Is Leinbach still making them? When I google them all the links point to Everything Attachments. The design with the crank sound like the ones I'm looking at at Everything Attachments. Did they buy out Leinbach?

Thanks,

Jack

Leinbach site lists this. Note the last sentence

Leinbach Company
With a huge line of attachments, Leinbach has become a common name in the attachment industry. Leinbach has been manufacturing since 1942, they produce everything from scrape blades to pulverizers, and augers to land levelers. Leinbach is best known for manufacturing their L7200 & L7200 JR augers which has long been one of the best values on the market. Leinbach is centralized in East Bend, NC where farming is a central part of life so they fit right in. Leinbach Attachments are available in any part of the country thanks to Everything Attachments, the internet's number one attachment dealer.

Is Leinbach still making them? When I google them all the links point to Everything Attachments. The design with the crank sound like the ones I'm looking at at Everything Attachments. Did they buy out Leinbach?

Thanks,

Jack
I just looked them up and edited my post. I'm not sure exactly what's up with them. It still looks like a similar design but its slightly different then what I'm used to seeing with them.

I just looked them up and edited my post. I'm not sure exactly what's up with them. It still looks like a similar design but its slightly different then what I'm used to seeing with them.

Yes, that is what I found. I don't see the Leinbach discs on the Everything Attachment's site, so I'm guessing they bought at least the design and any rights from Leinbach and now manufacture them themselves.

Thanks,

Jack

I haven't been in the market for a disk in a while and things have changed. I think we brought ours about 20 years ago. There disks still look well thought out. Here is a link and the video that is attached.
https://www.everythingattachments.c...luxe-Box-Frame-Disc-Harrow-p/eta-xd-bf-dh.htm

Yes, was the one I was looking at to try to split the difference between the two DK45 and JD 790. I'm slowly being convinced that the JD won't handle it and anything lighter won't do the job on firebreaks. I'm now leaning toward the larger one on this page with a video: https://www.everythingattachments.c...-adjustable-Disc-Harrow-p/eta-xd-lg-bf-dh.htm

Thanks,

Jack

I spoke with the folks at Everything Attachments today. They were very helpful. After chatting with them, I'm convinced there is no way to get something that will work well with both tractors. If we get the large frame for the Kioti, it may be difficult to use it for min-till. We may have to use the small JD tiller lifted high with the JD 790 for plots or that old angle iron disc that we borrowed for min-tilling plots or perhaps in time I'll have produced enough OM top-down that I won't have an issue with my clay crusting, especially now that I have the 8' cultipacker.

Everything Attachments recommended either the 18/20 or 20/20 with the large frame. I'm thinking about the 18/20. Some of my reading said that with the right weight, discs want to go about 25% of the diameter deep. Both are deeper that I would want for no-till but both should work well on the firebreaks.

Thanks,

Jack

The purchase has been approved by the LLC. Any last thoughts on 18" vs. 20" discs for this Everything Attachments disc?

Go 20". Heaviest thickness on 18" ones (mine has 18") that I could find was 3.5mm. Once you get up to 20" you can find 4.5mm ones if and when replacement/repairs happen down the road. Plus for fire breaks bigger is better. Go with 9" spacing vs 7.5" too.

I always say get largest disc you can , they will sooner or later wear down to lower, and if your ever turning over new ground, they will stay clean longer and work better!
replacement costs down the road are trivial
so, get the 20's, over the 18's!

Well, it has been a long circle and a little funny. I had my final talk with Everything Attachments today. We just did not think the DK45 could sufficiently handle the large frame and if I wanted to go that route I should not go larger than 18" blades. He actually talked me into the less expensive smaller frame. It sacrifices a couple hundred pounds of weight and I can use 20" blades with it. So I ended up with the ETA-XD-BF-DH-20-20-N. The only cost beyond their listed price was 5.3% sales tax. There is no additional charge for shipping but I have to pick it up at a freight terminal about 50 miles away. They are supposed to load it on my trailer for free. Within minutes of getting off the phone, I had the receipt in my inbox. It was an easy transaction. They are about 6 weeks behind in production so it will be a while before it is shipped. We have no burns planned in the next 6 weeks so I'm in no rush.

I will report back on the end of the transaction and then on performance once I try it out.

Thanks,

Jack

I would call the freight center and MAKE sure they can load it for you,
better safe than sorry
a s I have heard a lot o things go wrong from what a sales man says and what happens at the shipping//receiving end of things.
don't want to make a long trip to find out there is a issue

but other wise sounds like good disc for you
, look forward to hearing a update after some use!

I would call the freight center and MAKE sure they can load it for you,
better safe than sorry
a s I have heard a lot o things go wrong from what a sales man says and what happens at the shipping//receiving end of things.
don't want to make a long trip to find out there is a issue

but other wise sounds like good disc for you
, look forward to hearing a update after some use!

Yes, I'll verify everything with the freight terminal after it is shipped and I have details. I've picked large items up at freight terminals before but not this specific one. Most have a forklift and a ramp from the loading dock. According to EA, this service is free. I don't think the guy I talked to was a salesman. This seems like a small company and the guy I talked to was the guy who did the videos online. I recognized his voice. The company is actually T.C. Corriher Implement Co. Inc. and I think the guy I talked to was the owner. Having said that, your're right. I will double check before I leave.

Thanks,

Jack