Disc, or spray and broadcast?

Catscratch

5 year old buck +
I have been reading a lot on the spray, broadcast, and pack method of planting. I'm thinking about doing it this fall but I have always worked a clean field before planting and I'm finding it hard to get myself to NOT work the ground first.

I'm reading that spray and broadcast leaves a thatch that helps with water retention and also keeps from bringing new seed to the top. Working the ground cleans the field and is probably superior for seed to soil contact and germination.

So, I know that both methods work but which is best? I have equipment available so getting a good seedbed is no problem. Which is the better method: spray, broadcast, and cultipack... or disc and broadcast.

Thanks!

Pro's and cons to both. I'm a no-till guy out of necessity. I was able to till when I first started plotting about 7 years ago. Now my place is remote and we can't tote much equipment or get it deep in the bush where it's needed. When I was able to run a cultivator, my plots were great to start with, but year two saw an unholy resurrection of thistles and foxtail the like's I'd never seen. Where I'm at now, I've got soil issues that have to be considered, and tilling wouldn't help me much other than seed/soil contact.

Ultimately, If you can pull together your plan with your biology and chemistry, you can reduce your time and inputs by no-tilling. It can be more of a challenge to grow and control certain plot species if you're not tilling as well. So there's a lot that goes into it. Dipper recommended a great book that has really upped my knowledge of plants and how you can multi-purpose them beyond feed and attraction, and into weed suppression, nitrogen fixing, moisture retaining, OM building etc. Those fundamentals could be the difference between a good and great plot, or plot and no plot at all. It's well worth the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Managing-Cove...d=1406260133&sr=8-1&keywords=cover+crops+sare

I ordered the book this morning, should be here in a week or so (always wanting to learn something new).

As far as subjectivity: I want to hear arguments from both sides of the fence. I'm capable of doing either process (discing clean or spray and broadcast). My goal for this food plot is a high attraction during season, and control of Johnson grass. I've got another food plot in milo and millet. I hope to provide for quail and deer with it but it will need to be planted to something else next yr so that I can spend the summer fighting Johnson grass that has thrived in the milo. The other food plot is wheat. We bail it then hunt doves over it in Sept., then replant it for the deer as soon as the migration slows down, then run cattle on it in the late winter and spring. Lastly, we "once over" disc strips in the pasture to encourage some diversity (quail). This is all within 80 acres and next to a large bean field so if this plot is going to be attractive it will have to grow well.

I ordered the book this morning, should be here in a week or so (always wanting to learn something new).

As far as subjectivity: I want to hear arguments from both sides of the fence. I'm capable of doing either process (discing clean or spray and broadcast). My goal for this food plot is a high attraction during season, and control of Johnson grass. I've got another food plot in milo and millet. I hope to provide for quail and deer with it but it will need to be planted to something else next yr so that I can spend the summer fighting Johnson grass that has thrived in the milo. The other food plot is wheat. We bail it then hunt doves over it in Sept., then replant it for the deer as soon as the migration slows down, then run cattle on it in the late winter and spring. Lastly, we "once over" disc strips in the pasture to encourage some diversity (quail). This is all within 80 acres and next to a large bean field so if this plot is going to be attractive it will have to grow well.
You could probably write your masters thesis if you can completely answer that question with dueling answers. Dig into that book, you'll be able to start pulling apart your problems and piecing together solutions bit by bit.

Cat, some people weed their flower beds by hand; some people wash their car every week; I disc my foodplots before I plant. My reasoning is that I enjoy doing it, it seems to work for me, I enjoy how it looks when I'm done and as it's coming in. But I realize there are other ways that are just as good (or possibly better :D). I might feel differently if my plots were steeply graded or heavily rutted. I wouldn't argue in favor of discing or even defend my practice on any grounds other than emotional. After all, this is a hobby, right? :)

I have always disced/tilled my plots and this year I am trying a little of both. The spray and broacast is a lot easier so it saves time and fuel but I know the till method works from past experience. I guess I had to prove to myself that no-till would work for me and I believe it will.

I think I might do the plot half and half to see a side by side comparison (other wise I have no control group to compare to).

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Ok, here is what I did: I sprayed again last week and killed off the stuff that is still green in the pic. Yesterday I went in with a disc and "roughed" it up a little (the dead grass was very thick and I didn't think the seed would get though it). I didn't get it clean like I'm use too... just a scratch. I then broadcast seed and fertilizer. After that I went over it with a lawn mower that was pulling a roller behind it. It pressed the dirt down and compacted thatch onto the soil. I hope it works but it is so different than what I'm use to. I suppose that if the brassica mix I used doesn't grow well then I can start over in Sept with wheat/winter rye.
409839543.jpg