Deer Rifle for 12 Year Old - What to Buy?

2ndHand

5 year old buck +
My son passed his Hunter Safety Program yesterday:D:D. I promised him a new deer rifle to commemorate him becoming a Hunter!! What would you suggest?

Thanks...;)

There has been an interesting discussion on lever-action rifles in the "small tools" section below. Kinda like the looks of that new Mossburg lever action rifle. The short carbine, with an adjustable butt-stock looks ideal for a growing kid. The 30-30 would not be too recoil intensive either....and plenty power and accuracy out to 200 yards or so on deer-sized critters. Modern safety and other good features too. I'd consider it for JR. :)

Lots of things to consider. Shooters experience, types of game other than deer you might want to hunt with that gun, physical stature of the hunter, ammo availability, and adjustability of the firearm. Congratulations to your son! And to you for gaining a new hunting companion.

There has been an interesting discussion on lever-action rifles in the "small tools" section below. Kinda like the looks of that new Mossburg lever action rifle. The short carbine, with an adjustable butt-stock looks ideal for a growing kid. The 30-30 would not be too recoil intensive either....and plenty power and accuracy out to 200 yards or so on deer-sized critters. Modern safety and other good features too. I'd consider it for JR. :)

Thanks Foggy! I'll check it out. I'm headed up to Moe's Hardware in Black River Falls this weekend to see what they have in stock.

Thought the same thing.

Lots of things to consider. Shooters experience, types of game other than deer you might want to hunt with that gun, physical stature of the hunter, ammo availability, and adjustability of the firearm. Congratulations to your son! And to you for gaining a new hunting companion.

Thanks!

.243 is a great youth gun. My brother and I both started out with it and shot many a deer with it. My son will use it when he is old enough. Very accurate and low recoil.

.243 is a great youth gun. My brother and I both started out with it and shot many a deer with it. My son will use it when he is old enough. Very accurate and low recoil.

That's what my brother-in-law suggested. We're going to checkout the one he has for fit. Thanks!

7mm-08 would be another to consider.

7mm-08 would be another to consider.
thats what i would recommend.
My boys shot the 243 and its a great gun, but the 7mm-08 has better bullet selection and larger gr options to shoot.
The larger round options would be possibly more forgiving for a beginner. I know shot placement is most important, but
the 243 sometimes didnt leave any bloodtrail at all.
They are both great guns, and they killed a lot of deer with the 243, just sometimes had to look for it without much blood.

Exciting new phase in hunting for Dad and Son. Hands down .243 bolt/scoped/ No recoil, great distance killing power. A guy could hunt everything in North America except Griz with a .22, .243, .308 and a scattergun.

Thank you! He does seem more comfortable with the bolt action. I do have a couple of scopes for him to try, ones a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9 x40 with the BDC reticle, and the other one is a cheaper model (can't remember the name - made in WI) 4-12x44 with std crosshair.

A step up from the .243 would be a 25-06. Good deer gun and great western gun IMO.

Might check with buddies and see how many options you can come up with, esp the .243 and 7-08. Let him shoot a few and see what he is most comfortable with. He will be more confident and more accurate with a gun he enjoys shooting.

thats what i would recommend.
My boys shot the 243 and its a great gun, but the 7mm-08 has better bullet selection and larger gr options to shoot.
The larger round options would be possibly more forgiving for a beginner. I know shot placement is most important, but
the 243 sometimes didnt leave any bloodtrail at all.
They are both great guns, and they killed a lot of deer with the 243, just sometimes had to look for it without much blood.

Thanks Huntall! What manufacture/model would you suggest for either caliber?

I know lots of folks like their 243 caliber guns for youth deer hunters. I gotta go against the grain here.....and I'm sure some folks will take exception to this.....but I just cannot get enthused about those small bullets (both diameter and weight). 100 grains does not make a good deep woods bullet IMO.....especially if the marksmanship is not up to high ideals. Also, can get a small wound channel if the bullets don't expand well. Not much energy at the longer ranges. I think a young shooter would get more game with a good 'ole 30-30 and I'd think the recoil is comparable. No?

I consider the 243 a better gun for an accomplished marksman. Just my .02 cents. (OK.....ban me ;))

PS My grandsons both shoot a 7mm-08. but they are a few years older now. Some kids would be adverse to the recoil?

Thinking out old here but might consider a ML too. Play with loads to manage recoil and get two seasons.

I know lots of folks like their 243 caliber guns for youth deer hunters. I gotta go against the grain here.....and I'm sure some folks will take exception to this.....but I just cannot get enthused about those small bullets (both diameter and weight). 100 grains does not make a good deep woods bullet IMO.....especially if the marksmanship is not up to high ideals. Also, can get a small wound channel if the bullets don't expand well. Not much energy at the longer ranges. I think a young shooter would get more game with a good 'ole 30-30 and I'd think the recoil is comparable. No?

I consider the 243 a better gun for an accomplished marksman. Just my .02 cents. (OK.....ban me ;))

PS My grandsons both shoot a 7mm-08. but they are a few years older now. Some kids would be adverse to the recoil?

It seems like foggy and I agree on this. buy the 7.08.

Both my daughters have the 7.08's. I would prefer NOT to use a .243 even for myself. I just do not feel they are adequate for our big northwoods deer.

My youngest daughter has a youth combination Howa where you get a youth stock and adult stock in the package. I doubt we will ever put the adult stock on the rifle. We are all short people and a short stock is good when you have tons of clothes on.

I shoot a 7.08 also. One Remington, one Savage, and one Howa.

Thanks Huntall! What manufacture/model would you suggest for either caliber?
I like the H&R youth model single shot and it also had a 22 barrel and a 20ga barrel that came with it.
awesome starter gun all the way around!

Lot's of good info...;)! Ideally I will be able to locate a few different rifles & calibers for him to try. Size wise he is in the middle of the pack, turns 13 at years end.

Thanks again!