All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cuddeback's Cuddelink

Exactly! The best would be a Powerhouse K without the built in “Centered” zone control.
Not for me. Part of the reason I went this way was up to 16 cameras for 1 low data plan. 4 solo K cameras and now I'm looking at $40 a month each for unlimited and that's only 2000 full size images. Sounds like a lot but it's only about 67 images a day.
In Solo mode you have the option of small-medium or full-size. But, personally I can live with thumbnails. If you require a lot of camera’s it will be expensive. But it would make it easier for those in real hilly terrain. I have 2 camera’s elevated for signal + 1 repeater. Basically all 3 are repeaters. That’s $7-800 worth of camera’s plus batteries that do not even take pictures. That would pay $140/yr plan for a couple of years. I probably won’t change, but it’s something to think about.

Last edited:
Exactly! The best would be a Powerhouse K without the built in “Centered” zone control.

I think Cuddeback is just trying to save us from our own indiscretion by limiting the J and K models to "centered" zone control only. The Cuddelink limitation (just the first image in a 5 second period being transmitted) doesn't lend itself well to a wide detection zone. But when you're in solo mode it's not an issue because you can use FAP delay or burst mode to overcome any premature detections.

A 7/8" or so Forstner bit on a drill press would do wonders to "open up" that "centered" zone control on the face plate of a K model. If you then want to go back to "centered" just swap out the o-ring seal under the fresnel lens with the rubber baffled seal used on the J cameras. Also, if you want to "open up" the "centered" zone control on a J model (if you're running one stand-alone) you can just swap the rubber baffled seal with a G or K o-ring seal.

Interface is the similar in all cuddeback’s , in addition to that, once a dual cell has an Annual plan purchased , after t first year that unit can be used in any fashion. The cell plan purchase allows the dual cell to be sold at a much lower cost than it should be. It’s basically a $400 camera that is sold for $200.
I don’t know if I should be happy about the camera being unlocked after a year or upset that cudde forces the user to pay a good amount, wait a year, so they recoup it and then unlock features that probably should be there from day 1... I guess they really aren’t giving us that great of deal that way.

I don’t know if I should be happy about the camera being unlocked after a year or upset that cudde forces the user to pay a good amount, wait a year, so they recoup it and then unlock features that probably should be there from day 1... I guess they really aren’t giving us that great of deal that way.
All the features are there from day one, it's just that you have to pay for a year of cell service whether you use it or not... it's up to you. You can use it as a cell home, cell stand-alone, CL home, remote, or repeater as soon as you activate it by buying a cell plan.

I think Cuddeback is just trying to save us from our own indiscretion by limiting the J and K models to "centered" zone control only. The Cuddelink limitation (just the first image in a 5 second period being transmitted) doesn't lend itself well to a wide detection zone. But when you're in solo mode it's not an issue because you can use FAP delay or burst mode to overcome any premature detections.

A 7/8" or so Forstner bit on a drill press would do wonders to "open up" that "centered" zone control on the face plate of a K model. If you then want to go back to "centered" just swap out the o-ring seal under the fresnel lens with the rubber baffled seal used on the J cameras. Also, if you want to "open up" the "centered" zone control on a J model (if you're running one stand-alone) you can just swap the rubber baffled seal with a G or K o-ring seal.
LMAO, I think I might leave it as is, but I like your way of thinking. Lol That’s exactly what I did on a home brew cam! all in all, it’s a good system. I get more pictures than I can look at! Everybody wants something different. I understand the reasoning. But thanks for the suggestion.

This thread gets away from me at times so sorry if this has been asked before, but I've just purchased 8 dual power banks for my G units. I have 4 of the solar kits that are compatible with the J series. I just wanted to make sure these would fit the dual banks?

Figured I would share my report. Made it 128 days on external packs, I am happy with that performance on battery life these are powerhouse black flash

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
7532e115a3a2cca182bf21c2f13f53e6.jpg

Last edited:
Then why do they have to option to be operated as Remote?
Interface is the similar in all cuddeback’s , in addition to that, once a dual cell has an Annual plan purchased , after t first year that unit can be used in any fashion. The cell plan purchase allows the dual cell to be sold at a much lower cost than it should be. It’s basically a $400 camera that is sold for $200.
Anything special need to be done with customer service or just buy an annual plan and they are good to go.

I did not know that after 1yr you could revert it as a remote. It was actually advertised that it would cost more for that option, but when I called CS to order it and that option was not available. A little late for me now, but I wish I had known that.
this is part of the newer firmware update, to be clear its after an annual plan not 12 months of monthly.

This needs some major clarification! To further understand this, if I buy a plan at $120 a year for 750 photos a month, the camera is then unlocked to be "used in any fashion"? As in I can use it as a repeater or remote and not use it as a cellular home?? Does the cell plan have to stay active past that first year to stay unlocked?
after the first year is up the camera can be used in any fashion. yes even the $120 a year plan.

Please understand that cuddeback is basically making Zero $ on the K until a plan is purchased, the K should cost $400 retail if regular profit margins were the goal.. They are selling the K at the lower price( below cost when you figure in all the associated expenses) to get people into Cuddelink with the confidence that once you use it you will continue to buy more cameras and utilize the cell service so they can make a profit and continue to be in business , pay their employees , bring out new products etc etc. We arent Forcing anyone to do anything... nobody will see me at a store holding someone by the back of the neck telling them to buy cuddelink :emoji_grin:. This is really no different than a cell phone company offering you a deal on a phone or even a free phone for signing a 2 year contract , they dont make squat on the phone they make the profit needed on the plan.
The same idea holds true with the 2 pack black friday special you have or will be seeing soon. We are selling 2 Js for $300 and giving a free dual cell with the purchase of an annual plan(either the unlimited or 2000 image annual plan and you have until june 1 2020 to buy the plan). The consumer is getting a year of cell service , 2 of the new Js and a K for a total investment of $480, and after that year the K is unlocked.
Net profit is very small on this package but its done with the confidence that we will retain the customer and they will buy more cuddeback product in the future.

This thread gets away from me at times so sorry if this has been asked before, but I've just purchased 8 dual power banks for my G units. I have 4 of the solar kits that are compatible with the J series. I just wanted to make sure these would fit the dual banks?
they do not, others have modified the current solar to work with the DPB, but i cannot tell you to do that. There is a solar power bank coming in 2020 that will plug into the DPB

they do not, others have modified the current solar to work with the DPB, but i cannot tell you to do that. There is a solar power bank coming in 2020 that will plug into the DPB
Sheesh this is all getting so complicated and dragged out. Seems months ago I was laying in wait for the DPB now waiting until next year for the compatible panel ‍♂️

Can anyone who has modified the solar unit chime in on this?

The consumer is getting a year of cell service , 2 of the new Js and a K for a total investment of $480,

I picked this up at Cabelas today with gift cards I got for $270. Thanks to whoever suggested that a week or so ago.

I’ve been happy with mine and am thinking about picking up another two pack.

I have a runaway camera I have to go get out of the woods tonight and send back. It's taken about 1300 pictures of nothing since yesterday. If that camera has 220 pictures in queue shouldn't I get emails of 30 pictures over and over until it clears?

Attachments

• CL Email.jpg
    CL Email.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 28
  • queue.jpg
    queue.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 26
Figured I would share my report. Made it 128 days on external packs, I am happy with that performance on battery life these are powerhouse black flash

That’s impressive. I’m only getting 40 days out of my externals. What type of pack and series camera are you using?

That’s great. I got 160 from 3 of mine. The D cell packs really make a huge difference.

Can anyone who has modified the solar unit chime in on this?

I am not sure if this answers your question as I didn't go back and read all the threads. I have a cellular K model and 4 J series units. I bought the D cell battery packs for them. I put two of the solar panels on the cameras. The cell camera is in a field with solar panel facing south in Ohio. It has been up and running for 3 months. The rechargeable batteries were removed yesterday and replaced with 'fresh' ones. When I got home and tested those batteries 3 months in used they tested 90% or better in the battery charger. With decent sunshine I would suspect it would run almost indefinitely pending SD card filling up.

this is part of the newer firmware update, to be clear its after an annual plan not 12 months of monthly.

Why do I need an annual plan to unlock the camera? Am I not paying my dues the same as the guy who buys an annual? It actually would cost me more...

So if I buy a $120 plan just once, my camera is unlocked. But if I pay $15 X 4 months, for 5 years = $300, my camera never unlocks?