All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cuddeback's Cuddelink

Yes I’ll post this info tonight
ok first picture is the report after we first set the cameras up 1,2,3,4,9 was my first 5 cameras number 9 had weak signal but it on reports barely lost signal hoped it would keep sending pictures till I was about to buy a few more cameras to help boost signal...cameras 5,6,7,8 was my next 4 cameras we set them out all had reasonable signals as shown in first picture. The two with weakest signals food plot 9 and agf lane 4 was part of my original 5 and even with weaker signals they hardly ever lost signal and didn’t show on report...well after few weeks I lost 6,7,8,9 and went checked because figure one ran out of batteries and broke the chain...and replaced the batteries checked signals everything was good and these 4 are no longer showing on my report nor sending pictures...food plot popped back up and showed for a few days then lost it again but the other three even tho showing signal have will not show on report I bought a repeater and going to place it at the X on the map as this is the highest point on the propertyE4F5CB09-FD7D-47CC-82C1-3E6C6EDFD64A.png8F750E3F-3787-4250-A2C9-5EE8CEFB5FFD.pngBA095226-C06C-4F07-905B-CD7C58F213C6.jpeg

ok first picture is the report after we first set the cameras up 1,2,3,4,9 was my first 5 cameras number 9 had weak signal but it on reports barely lost signal hoped it would keep sending pictures till I was about to buy a few more cameras to help boost signal...cameras 5,6,7,8 was my next 4 cameras we set them out all had reasonable signals as shown in first picture. The two with weakest signals food plot 9 and agf lane 4 was part of my original 5 and even with weaker signals they hardly ever lost signal and didn’t show on report...well after few weeks I lost 6,7,8,9 and went checked because figure one ran out of batteries and broke the chain...and replaced the batteries checked signals everything was good and these 4 are no longer showing on my report nor sending pictures...food plot popped back up and showed for a few days then lost it again but the other three even tho showing signal have will not show on report I bought a repeater and going to place it at the X on the map as this is the highest point on the propertyView attachment 26635View attachment 26636View attachment 26637
a lot of things you can do here to improve and you have a lot going on.
1. At some point you need to update firmware on everything you are quite a ways behind.
2. If you are running a cell home unit or if you can easily access location 5 to check it i would move your home unit there or at least get it in a more central area this weill help you a lot.. The pond or lake is almost certainly causing you connection issues. For whatever reason water bodies and RF signal
dont mix well. IF you can't move it from location 1 then a repeater on the hill should help. Even a cell unit if there is signal on top of the hill would really help.
3. CL level on the report does not mean that is what it is all the time at that location.. Anytime your level is below 20 you are rolling the dice and if a camera is a link with more cameras relying on it while its under 20 you are begging for issues.
4. although not likely is there a chance you have a neighbor south/south east of you on the same channel that is connected to 7,8,9?

I have cameras spread out all over 210 acres, with my home unit on one end. But, my home is on the highest point around. I don't have any links on any of my cameras to get home. When I see all those links on the above report, I think the best thing you can do is get your home more centrally located, or use topography to put it in a more advantageous place.

Also, like John said you may be losing cameras to someone with a home on the same channel. My home is so high I was picking up two cams from somewhere on my home. I know the area pretty good, and I guarantee they were at least a mile away, if not more. I still never figured out where they were. I changed channels to prevent whoever from getting any of mine.

I just put batteries in my Dual Power Banks for the first time and love that I don't need a screwdriver to do so, great design change Cuddeback!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Spent all day tweaking my setup. Thought I would share what I found.

I moved my Home camera between my high activity cameras hoping to speed things up. I replaced my home camera with a remote and turned my home camera off while in route to other side of club. Home camera was off a good hour. While it was off I received emailed pictures. Not a Cudde problem, just the way cellular is.

I have a camera on the fringe, it links very seldom. I turned camera mode on CL Level and sat down in front of camera for a long while and monitored it. It had no signal, then in awhile it went to 4-Weak. 5 minutes later it went 20-Good, 5 mins later 8-Weak, then no signal. All over the place. This signal comes and goes like the wind. If you have a weak camera trying to link thru another weak camera, both cameras have to have adequate signal strength at the same time for it relay. You can get by on this if you’re getting a few pictures, but near impossible with a lot of pictures. 2 weak camera’s in a row is not good.

The bad part about changing set-up, is you really don’t know what you have until a report comes through. I moved home camera around a lot trying to get more than 1 mode. I finally gave up and left it hanging 7 ft high on a tree showing 1 node. I got home and it sent me an email of all the cameras.

I’m ordering a couple repeaters tonight.
Good info. I'm curious as to when a camera daisy chains to another camera. Is it when it has 0 signal back to the Home camera? I have 7 cameras and they're laid out like a fan with one other camera behind them all. That camera has the lowest signal, generally in the 20s but sometimes in the teens depending on the weather and the camera between that one and the home is 50s-60s but they never link together.

Good info. I'm curious as to when a camera daisy chains to another camera. Is it when it has 0 signal back to the Home camera? I have 7 cameras and they're laid out like a fan with one other camera behind them all. That camera has the lowest signal, generally in the 20s but sometimes in the teens depending on the weather and the camera between that one and the home is 50s-60s but they never link together.
The signal you see is to the camera you’re connecting to, not necessarily the home unit. The key to it all, is to get a real good signal. 20 bare minimum. It may work ok for some on a weak signal, but odds are against you. Just the physics of the weak RF wavelength that is required by FCC.

Appreciate the quick replies everyone. I used to keep up with this thread every day, but life has gotten busy. It's funny that it's because I have the NEW version...I was sitting there in the middle of nowhere wondering if I got a really OLD version hah!

you have the new G camera , check that all them are the same and have the twist lock plug. PM me your address and i will have 4 cables sent to you that will allow the new G to work with the solar adapters you have. Also let me know where you bought them form so i can make sure they have the correct cables.

John, very kind of you. New cameras came from Focus Camera, Solar Panel kits came from Farmstead. I'll PM you my address

O
a lot of things you can do here to improve and you have a lot going on.
1. At some point you need to update firmware on everything you are quite a ways behind.
2. If you are running a cell home unit or if you can easily access location 5 to check it i would move your home unit there or at least get it in a more central area this weill help you a lot.. The pond or lake is almost certainly causing you connection issues. For whatever reason water bodies and RF signal
dont mix well. IF you can't move it from location 1 then a repeater on the hill should help. Even a cell unit if there is signal on top of the hill would really help.
3. CL level on the report does not mean that is what it is all the time at that location.. Anytime your level is below 20 you are rolling the dice and if a camera is a link with more cameras relying on it while its under 20 you are begging for issues.
4. although not likely is there a chance you have a neighbor south/south east of you on the same channel that is connected to 7,8,9?
ok John thanks for the info had no idea water was cause any interference and yes we had talked about moving cell to more central location. I have already ordered the repeater so all it will do is help...and I don’t believe I have anyone near me that would pull the other cameras off and guess my last question is can I download the update to my computer then take it to the field and update the cameras away from internet service or will I have to bring the cameras home to update thanks for the help I’ll keep you all updated

The signal you see is to the camera you’re connecting to, not necessarily the home unit.
Appreciate the quick replies everyone. I used to keep up with this thread every day, but life has gotten busy. It's funny that it's because I have the NEW version...I was sitting there in the middle of nowhere wondering if I got a really OLD version hah!

John, very kind of you. New cameras came from Focus Camera, Solar Panel kits came from Farmstead. I'll PM you my address

My vote for John as the “Rep of the Year”. (and a raise...hint Mark Cuddeback) Lots of people would have already given up had it not for John’s solid advice. Thanks John!

John, is 1385 the repeater? And what external power pack fits it?

As just a repeater, is the battery life going to be similar to the G’s?

The signal you see is to the camera you’re connecting to, not necessarily the home unit. The key to it all, is to get a real good signal. 20 bare minimum. It may work ok for some on a weak signal, but odds are against you. Just the physics of the weak RF wavelength that is required by FCC.
True but if I'm connecting through another camera I would show more than 1 link wouldn't I? As far as I can tell all of my cameras have a direct link back to home.

True but if I'm connecting through another camera I would show more than 1 link wouldn't I? As far as I can tell all of my cameras have a direct link back to home.
Yes, that is correct. But just remember, the report is at one moment of time. Lots of things can change in between. If signal wanes, you will never know it.

O

ok John thanks for the info had no idea water was cause any interference and yes we had talked about moving cell to more central location. I have already ordered the repeater so all it will do is help...and I don’t believe I have anyone near me that would pull the other cameras off and guess my last question is can I download the update to my computer then take it to the field and update the cameras away from internet service or will I have to bring the cameras home to update thanks for the help I’ll keep you all updated
You download the update to your computer then copy that update onto a spare SD card. Now can you can take that card with you and update in the field.

VERY IMPRESSIVE- This camera was set out in June. Finally hit internals. On the last picture before it switched to internals, it showed 6.589v (1.09v/cell). The BI=28869. Battery used - Rayovac Fusion ~$1.50ea.

1570888327679.png

We have 8 cameras and 8 repeaters on our system. We’re getting getting pics backed up in the queue on several cameras. All cameras have the following settings: CL delay 5 seconds; CL Count 250; camera delay 30 sec. Any ideas on how to get the delivery time sped up? Not sure if we should increase CL delay or increase the camera delay. We want all the pics so I hate to increase the camera delay unless we have to. Thanks.

Attachments

• 15B0E9E1-F7D6-4199-B398-4363FC379CC2.png
    15B0E9E1-F7D6-4199-B398-4363FC379CC2.png
    694.3 KB · Views: 32
We have 8 cameras and 8 repeaters on our system. We’re getting getting pics backed up in the queue on several cameras. All cameras have the following settings: CL delay 5 seconds; CL Count 250; camera delay 30 sec. Any ideas on how to get the delivery time sped up? Not sure if we should increase CL delay or increase the camera delay. We want all the pics so I hate to increase the camera delay unless we have to. Thanks.
Get your weak signals up.

We only have one that is below 15 and it does’t have any pics in it’s cue
How do you have your K camera cell batch setup? You might need to change the rate of how often it sends pics or else it will get back logged.

We only have one that is below 15 and it does’t have any pics in it’s cue
The weakest link will slow it all down. Do you know which camera is linking thru which camera?

The weakest link will slow it all down. Do you know which camera is linking thru which camera?
Yes I know the order. I had to rearrange after they were running so it only makes sense to me. The weak camera (NE Field) goes through repeater 2 and then repeater 3 and then home camera (Middle Field).