Cuddeback's Cuddelink

Has anyone noticed the audible click when these things take pictures?

I have noticed it the first pic at morning and evening transition. Aren't many cameras that don't do that...
What I have noticed is that more so with my black flash g series is a lot of back and forth transition which cause the click a lot more. Early on I had a large number of deer picking them up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm going to do a little battery life test starting next week. I'm going to hook one of my G series dual flash to a 12v 7ah battery with a 6v regulator and another to a 6v 12ah battery and see which one gets the longest life.

My home cell is on 171 days and still says "EXT OK". I have a J cam on the D batteries that is at 128 days. Wierd thing is, my other 4 J cams died at 35-40 days.

I'm going to do a little battery life test starting next week. I'm going to hook one of my G series dual flash to a 12v 7ah battery with a 6v regulator and another to a 6v 12ah battery and see which one gets the longest life.
The 6V 12ah battery will blow the 12V with 6V (or 9V) regulators away (I'm at 2 mths+ with only a 6V external, no internals, and the G camera is still reporting 99%)...now I'm sure every regulator has a different efficiency, but I have yet to find anything close to a straight 6V battery (tried 3 different styles of regulators). All of my external regulator tests with a 12V 12ah battery have made it around 45 days prior to the camera switching to internal D's. Unfortunately with only a 6V external, you loose some warning of low voltage on the daily reports since the camera will no longer switch to internals due to it actually "seeing/reporting" the 6V "external," as an "internal" battery on the report. Now with a 9V regulated external, you at least see it switch to internal D's and know you need to swap it soon. I guess with a straight 6V battery you could use the % count down on the daily status images or the "BL" data within the picture metadata as your notification, but I have yet to find that data very trustworthy and it isn't reported on the daily report. With a straight 6V battery you also loose your internals (or if you keep them, they just end up dead at the same time as the external) and really like having the internal D battery "buffer" prior to the camera locking up for "DEAD BATTERY" if I don't get too it in time. I wish I knew if we could feed straight 12V into the external port on the G-series? (I know its not recommended, but neither is 9V since the plug says 6V and that works just fine)! However, that would be the best of all worlds...the EXT/INT on the reports would work, the internal batteries would still be the buffer, the external batteries would have twice the capacity (12v-12ah vs 6v-12ah), and the inefficient regulator wouldn't be wasting the additional run-time! I'm totally guessing, but I'm pretty sure the G-cameras already have an internal regulator built in to neck the 9V external to 6V internal...I just wonder if it can handle the 13-14V of a freshly charged 12V external straight in and not fry???

I ran most of last year with 12v batteries and 9v regulators. I wasn’t really impressed with the life. I’m not sure if I’m ready to be the guinea pig and hook up straight 12v though lol.

I ran most of last year with 12v batteries and 9v regulators. I wasn’t really impressed with the life. I’m not sure if I’m ready to be the guinea pig and hook up straight 12v though lol.
I think if you can get past the consequences on the daily report, you'll be very happy with the 6V straight vs. the 9V regulated...its just too bad they don't support 12V from the factory...that would have solved everybody's major gripe, saved a bunch of $ on AA and D batteries not to mention waste in the land fill, and made this whole system pretty much the top of the heap in regards to cell/wireless cams! Instead, I guess we get to buy 12 D batteries every 3-6 months and pay for another $40+ accessory to get the new Dual Powerbank if we want factory approved extended power!

I agree. I never really understood why they went with 6v and 9v when almost every other major player is running 12v. It certainly made my Stealthcams more enjoyable. Buy the 12v battery kit with the solar panel built in for $50 and never worry about changing batteries.

The 6V 12ah battery will blow the 12V with 6V (or 9V) regulators away (I'm at 2 mths+ with only a 6V external, no internals, and the G camera is still reporting 99%)...now I'm sure every regulator has a different efficiency, but I have yet to find anything close to a straight 6V battery (tried 3 different styles of regulators). All of my external regulator tests with a 12V 12ah battery have made it around 45 days prior to the camera switching to internal D's. Unfortunately with only a 6V external, you loose some warning of low voltage on the daily reports since the camera will no longer switch to internals due to it actually "seeing/reporting" the 6V "external," as an "internal" battery on the report. Now with a 9V regulated external, you at least see it switch to internal D's and know you need to swap it soon. I guess with a straight 6V battery you could use the % count down on the daily status images or the "BL" data within the picture metadata as your notification, but I have yet to find that data very trustworthy and it isn't reported on the daily report. With a straight 6V battery you also loose your internals (or if you keep them, they just end up dead at the same time as the external) and really like having the internal D battery "buffer" prior to the camera locking up for "DEAD BATTERY" if I don't get too it in time. I wish I knew if we could feed straight 12V into the external port on the G-series? (I know its not recommended, but neither is 9V since the plug says 6V and that works just fine)! However, that would be the best of all worlds...the EXT/INT on the reports would work, the internal batteries would still be the buffer, the external batteries would have twice the capacity (12v-12ah vs 6v-12ah), and the inefficient regulator wouldn't be wasting the additional run-time! I'm totally guessing, but I'm pretty sure the G-cameras already have an internal regulator built in to neck the 9V external to 6V internal...I just wonder if it can handle the 13-14V of a freshly charged 12V external straight in and not fry???
I don’t want to discourage anyone from using another power source , especially if you are knowledgeable regarding this type of thing. I will just say that we have had multiple people contact us after they fried their own cameras experimenting with other sources of power and this type of thing is not warrantied. We are constantly working on other battery options but they need to be economical, easy to use , portable and accessible to all customers.

John is this antenna able to improve the cell signal or the RF signal?
Just the cell signal is what I was referring it to. you would need two of them. Also cuddeback should have high gain antennas available for sale soon if they are needed., our new dual cell will include the new high gain antennas.

Last edited:
I don’t want to discourage anyone from using another power source , especially if you are knowledgeable regarding this type of thing. I will just say that we have had multiple people contact us after they fried their own cameras experimenting with other sources of power and this type of thing is not warrantied. We are constantly working on other battery options but they need to be economical, easy to use , portable and accessible to all customers.
Good point John...some people should just buy D batteries and be done with it!.
...wishful thinking...Any chance you can pull some strings with a Cuddeback tech and confirm the max voltage that the circuit is designed to handle?

Good point John...some people should just buy D batteries and be done with it!.
...wishful thinking...Any chance you can pull some strings with a Cuddeback tech and confirm the max voltage that the circuit is designed to handle?
i really am not suppose to give recommendations or make statements regarding non factory adaptations , i can tell you you want it to be metered to match what the input says on each respective unit.

Started putting cameras back out this morning. Shouldn't have an issue with the home unit going dead.

Attachments

• IMG-5732.JPG
    IMG-5732.JPG
    567.1 KB · Views: 75
Started putting cameras back out this morning. Shouldn't have an issue with the home unit going dead.

That should do the trick. I just plugged mine into the wall .

Also, make sure to read and understand the hardware part of post #974. Big thanks to meshferg2 for answering some questions I had.

You have to power the card outside of the camera because the camera is not built to provide constant power to the SD card. If it doesn't have power, you can't connect to it from your PC. The card still needs to be connected to the camera so it can recognize it and write images to it. This hack he put together allows you do to that.

Once you have the FlashAir powered and are able to connect to it, there are many options to move the files from the card to your PC and then from your PC to the cloud.

What if this SD card extender had a male connector on both sides, like this item? https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...spm=a2700.details.maylikeexp.1.6dee61200OUcr5

One into the Cuddeback Home camera and the other directly into the SD slot on my PC. Would that allow pics to transfer directly to the OneDrive on my PC (connected to the internet) and thus be accessible online?

Put a couple more up today. One with a solar panel and 6V battery and another with Cuddeback's 6 D cell power booster.
Noticed that Optics Planet has the new Dual Power Bank listed but there's no info on the Cuddeback site yet.
https://shop.opticsplanet.com/cudde...LKEmWfpfB3QwHPz5kaU-fxPLNKb1IO-8aAmJsEALw_wcB

Attachments

• IMG_5745.jpg
    IMG_5745.jpg
    880.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5747.jpg
    IMG_5747.jpg
    864.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Put a couple more up today. One with a solar panel and 6V battery and another with Cuddeback's 6 D cell power booster.
Noticed that Optics Planet has the new Dual Power Bank listed but there's no info on the Cuddeback site yet.
https://shop.opticsplanet.com/cudde...LKEmWfpfB3QwHPz5kaU-fxPLNKb1IO-8aAmJsEALw_wcB

John or anyone of details on if these come with the cable and mount? I just got my 4-pack of J cameras and a Home. Just ordered the current battery pack for the Home and the J D battery boxes. Would certainly consider adding these to the cameras, really bad timing to order the old pack for the Home....my property is 1.5hrs away from home so really looking to maximize battery life.

And thanks to John and all others providing useful info in this thread, I just joined as a result of this thread. Very informative as I sink a good amount of cash into this system...

John or anyone of details on if these come with the cable and mount? I just got my 4-pack of J cameras and a Home. Just ordered the current battery pack for the Home and the J D battery boxes. Would certainly consider adding these to the cameras, really bad timing to order the old pack for the Home....my property is 1.5hrs away from home so really looking to maximize battery life.

And thanks to John and all others providing useful info in this thread, I just joined as a result of this thread. Very informative as I sink a good amount of cash into this system...
i believe the dual power bank will come with a mount, it will not come with a cable. You will also be able to nest/mount it to an existing camera like the cuddepower battery booster does. The current cuddepower battery pack will work fine on your home. The dual just would allow you to add 6 more D cells and or add solar. Dual power bank is not going to launch until later this summer. An exact ETA is yet to be determined.

Thanks John...looks like OpticsPlanet may be jumping the gun? Not clear how the nesting works...especially if you want a safe on the camera. I'll wait to see how this plays out, my system will be functional in the meantime.

Thanks John...looks like OpticsPlanet may be jumping the gun? Not clear how the nesting works...especially if you want a safe on the camera. I'll wait to see how this plays out, my system will be functional in the meantime.
yes they are jumping the gun , dealers were allowed to preorder and were given limited amount of info but no definite timeline as to arrival. There is a genius mount on the dual power bank exactly like each camera has. So you can mount them to each other or you can mount separately, if you want to use a safe with your cameras you will need to mount the dual power bank independently , we wont be making a safe for the power bank since a safe will cost close to the same $ as the dual power bank will. If a thief or bear would steal the power bank , the camera would still have the batteries inside it to operate. If someone wants a safe for the dual, im sure someone will end up making an aftermarket safe system.
Nesting the two together would be needed if you are running a camera in a plot for example using the genius pole mount.