Cuddeback's Cuddelink

What do you have the PIR set too?
As in 'close', 'far', 'field'? Is that what you mean? If so, then I followed your advice and set all cams to 'far'. Most info with this setting for sure.

Or do you mean 'wide' vs 'centered'? In that case I have them set to 'centered'. Works a treat. Subjects are, for the most part, centered in the frame.

Last edited:
As in 'close', 'far', 'field'? Is that what you mean? If so, then I followed your advice and set all cams to 'far'. Most info with this setting for sure.

Or do you mean 'wide' vs 'centered'? In that case I have them set to 'centered'. Works a treat. Subjects are, for the most part, centered in the frame.

Wide or centered. Set most of mine to wide. I wonder if that’s why I get runaways.

Wide or centered. Set most of mine to wide. I wonder if that’s why I get runaways.
wide or centered setting should not matter, if you have runaway cameras , i would send them in for service or replacement once season is over or you are done with them for the year. .

if you only got 3 days out of your cell home even with just the 4 internals D's one of several issues is going on. it doesnt matter how many pics it recieved in that short of time. Are you saying the cell home emailed or texted you 1064 pics in 3 days ? or that is how many it recieved. IS this the first time you deployed it or has it always had this issue?
potential causes are
1. bad batteries, this can occur with new name brand batteries. its rare, but does happen.
2. Continous below zero or single digit temps during those 3 days, freezing the batteries.
3 . something is wrong with your unit.
I would update your firmware if its not already 7.3 or above, try another set of batteries purchased from a different location/retailer and if it lasts 3 days again set up a return to send your cell home back to cuddeback.
It was with the 4 internal batteries only, I tested batteries be for used all be it with a lowes battery tester.
Temperature was not below freezing.
Firmware is 7.3,
I believe its the brand of batteries and I'll need to get a 6 battery booster.
There's over 300 pictures in the Que.
I will try everything you mentioned

I am very impressed with the Cuddelink system. Each camera I have uses the 6D-cell powerpack and I am using G-cams only, along with the cell home (also using the 6D-cell powerpacks). With this arrangement I have had near flawless performance thus far. I am running three cell homes and two dozen cams, soon to be just over three dozen. Black flash, IR, and strobe. What is most impressive is the radio range, even in tight forest. Also, the selectivity of the PIR trigger almost eliminates empty pics. I have had no issue with PIR trigger range, nor run-away cameras. Too soon to judge battery life. I am using Rayovac Fusion D-cells, I always update firmware, and use 32GB Sandisk SD cards. Ambient temps here in 40's to teens. I was expecting problems because trail cams are by nature problematic - but so far no issues. Build quality of the units is very good. I am also impressed that 99% of pics are correctly exposed. Flash range is excellent. No endless pics from hard sunlight and shadow movement. My setting are precisely as John Volkman advised with exception that I have hourly transmissions from the cell home.

Nitpicks: Closing the control panel door can inadvertently press buttons, so it must be closed carefully. The PIR sensitivity is not adjustable presently (future firmware update?). There is no hole for cable lock on the camera itself, but the Cuddesafe resolves this. I would like the option of a security entry code for each cam (to disappoint any thieves). I'd like to have the option to send all of the pics from a 3 shot burst.

I really enjoy the system. If you are on the fence, just do it. It is really an amazing innovation. To get pics every hour is such a delight. I am like a kid in a candy store!
That was good detailed info of your set up, i liked what you had to say. You are correct about the control panel door. Fined myself checking it to make sure it being turned off. I'm curious about the performance of the Rayovac Fusion's.

For benchmarking purposes, I'm in Texas with the following setup and battery life:
4 J Cams leveraging solar panels and the included rechargeables -- 175 days and running fine
1 Verizon Cell Home with external cuddepower pack and Duracell ProCell batteries -- 121 days and still showing Ext. Ok

I have 1 Cell Home running with the external 3358 power pack. 4 - J1415 cams running on the 6 D battery pack and 1 G series dual flash w/the 6 D 3358 power pack. Deployed cams on 9/7/18 in SE MN. Got 90 days out of the J’s. Put new D batteries in early December and one just dropped offline after 39 days with the colder weather now. The Cell Home went for 90 days before showing exterior pack low. Changed batteries at the beginning of December and it is still good on the battery pack. The Dual Flash on the external battery pack started showing exterior low on day 123 but is still going on it on day 132.

Question 1: The J’s took about the same # of pics as the G - Dual Flash and both have good reception back to the Cell Home. Why is the battery life so much better on the Gs?

Question 2: I would like to try the solar power pack on the J’s soon but I also have heard there are supposed to be some new battery options coming out in 2019. What are those new batttery options going to be? And which cameras are they going to work with?

Question 3: What is the best option for battery life in cold weather in temps less than 20 degrees or so on the J series? D battery pack or solar power or potentially new battery option that will be released in 2019?

I have 1 Cell Home running with the external 3358 power pack. 4 - J1415 cams running on the 6 D battery pack and 1 G series dual flash w/the 6 D 3358 power pack. Deployed cams on 9/7/18 in SE MN. Got 90 days out of the J’s. Put new D batteries in early December and one just dropped offline after 39 days with the colder weather now. The Cell Home went for 90 days before showing exterior pack low. Changed batteries at the beginning of December and it is still good on the battery pack. The Dual Flash on the external battery pack started showing exterior low on day 123 but is still going on it on day 132.

Question 1: The J’s took about the same # of pics as the G - Dual Flash and both have good reception back to the Cell Home. Why is the battery life so much better on the Gs?

Question 2: I would like to try the solar power pack on the J’s soon but I also have heard there are supposed to be some new battery options coming out in 2019. What are those new batttery options going to be? And which cameras are they going to work with?

Question 3: What is the best option for battery life in cold weather in temps less than 20 degrees or so on the J series? D battery pack or solar power or potentially new battery option that will be released in 2019?

If you have any J series in full sun. Get the solar pack. I did that for one of mine that at the time I made it the home unit. So it was constantly communicating with other cameras. It never dropped off all season, atleast 4 months... still was running strong. Replaced it with a home cell as an upgrade.

If you have any J series in full sun. Get the solar pack. I did that for one of mine that at the time I made it the home unit. So it was constantly communicating with other cameras. It never dropped off all season, atleast 4 months... still was running strong. Replaced it with a home cell as an upgrade.

That sounds like you have had good luck with the solar unit. What were the coldest temperatures you ran it in with the solar unit? I have some areas that they will be in shade until the leaves come off so I’d probably switch from alkalines to the rechargeables and the solar unit at that time.

That sounds like you have had good luck with the solar unit. What were the coldest temperatures you ran it in with the solar unit? I have some areas that they will be in shade until the leaves come off so I’d probably switch from alkalines to the rechargeables and the solar unit at that time.
A couple of days in single digits, a couple weeks with highs in the 20’s. Month worth of 30 degree weather. I hunt Central Wisconsin.

I am very impressed with the Cuddelink system. Each camera I have uses the 6D-cell powerpack and I am using G-cams only, along with the cell home (also using the 6D-cell powerpacks). With this arrangement I have had near flawless performance thus far. I am running three cell homes and two dozen cams, soon to be just over three dozen. Black flash, IR, and strobe. What is most impressive is the radio range, even in tight forest. Also, the selectivity of the PIR trigger almost eliminates empty pics. I have had no issue with PIR trigger range, nor run-away cameras. Too soon to judge battery life. I am using Rayovac Fusion D-cells, I always update firmware, and use 32GB Sandisk SD cards. Ambient temps here in 40's to teens. I was expecting problems because trail cams are by nature problematic - but so far no issues. Build quality of the units is very good. I am also impressed that 99% of pics are correctly exposed. Flash range is excellent. No endless pics from hard sunlight and shadow movement. My setting are precisely as John Volkman advised with exception that I have hourly transmissions from the cell home.

Nitpicks: Closing the control panel door can inadvertently press buttons, so it must be closed carefully. The PIR sensitivity is not adjustable presently (future firmware update?). There is no hole for cable lock on the camera itself, but the Cuddesafe resolves this. I would like the option of a security entry code for each cam (to disappoint any thieves). I'd like to have the option to send all of the pics from a 3 shot burst.

I really enjoy the system. If you are on the fence, just do it. It is really an amazing innovation. To get pics every hour is such a delight. I am like a kid in a candy store!
That was good detailed info of your set up, i liked what you had to say. You are correct about the control panel door. Fined myself checking it to make sure it being turned off. I'm curious about the performance of the Rayovac Fusion's.
I noticed absolutely no difference between the fusion and the regular rayovac. Life was not worth the up charge in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

A couple of days in single digits, a couple weeks with highs in the 20’s. Month worth of 30 degree weather. I hunt Central Wisconsin.
Thank you for the information. Very helpful!

I noticed absolutely no difference between the fusion and the regular rayovac. Life was not worth the up charge in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Thanks. That will save me the trouble of finding out for myself. I put duracells back into my Cell Home. As of 4pm yesterday I have been sent 157 pictures. Report this morning show over 450 more in the queue. I will be getting a cuddeback external 6 battery boaster to extend Cell Home life.

Thanks. That will save me the trouble of finding out for myself. I put duracells back into my Cell Home. As of 4pm yesterday I have been sent 157 pictures. Report this morning show over 450 more in the queue. I will be getting a cuddeback external 6 battery boaster to extend Cell Home life.
Your cell home has 450 more in que? that seems like a very large amount to be in que. what settings do you have your units set at?
CL , Camera, and cell home?
how many remotes are you running ? are they on feeders?
An individual Cuddelink network will max out at about 1000 images transmitted per day if the system is set up without a large number of links etc.

Your cell home has 450 more in que? that seems like a very large amount to be in que. what settings do you have your units set at?
CL , Camera, and cell home?
how many remotes are you running ? are they on feeders?
An individual Cuddelink network will max out at about 1000 images transmitted per day if the system is set up without a large number of links etc.
This system has 5 cameras sending to the cell home. All set to take pictures every 5 seconds, they were on trails, scrapes, field edges and food plots. Cell home sends pictures every hour. I put feed in front of 2 of the cameras and have for duracell batteries and energizer batteries. Cell Home was dead for 2 days before new batteries were installed. The other cameras continued to take pictures. The sites are not feed areas now, I'm testing to see how long deer and turkeys will return to a feed area after its all gone. Previously I've changed cameras to take pictures in these situations on 2 minutes plus intervals.

This system has 5 cameras sending to the cell home. All set to take pictures every 5 seconds, they were on trails, scrapes, field edges and food plots. Cell home sends pictures every hour. I put feed in front of 2 of the cameras and have for duracell batteries and energizer batteries. Cell Home was dead for 2 days before new batteries were installed. The other cameras continued to take pictures. The sites are not feed areas now, I'm testing to see how long deer and turkeys will return to a feed area after its all gone. Previously I've changed cameras to take pictures in these situations on 2 minutes plus intervals.
if you have the ability to get to your cell home, you may want to change the cell setting to batch 30 until it catches up rather than hourly.

Mr John I have 3 g series cams all getting good signal and getting daily report emailed to me BUT the only cam getting pictures and sending them is my home cell cam ,the others do not take pics at all they did the first day we set it up and it emailed pics from all cams via the home cam ...now the only cam taking pics is the home cam but the others say there connected with daily report ,they are on very good sites such as feeders with plenty of deer eating there ,but we've NEVER GOTTEN a single pic after the first set up day from the other two cameras ,it sent pics from them the day we set them up of us messing around all out in front of them so we know they worked when we left ...any ideas ?
we set them up for 1 month around my home property and they worked fine and we got evening email pics and morning email pics ,now when it does send pics from the home cell unit its only in the morning time .I dont know what happen now that we set them out in woods .any help would be great ,there 300 miles from home now ...Lol
Thanks ,Shawn

Mr John I have 3 g series cams all getting good signal and getting daily report emailed to me BUT the only cam getting pictures and sending them is my home cell cam ,the others do not take pics at all they did the first day we set it up and it emailed pics from all cams via the home cam ...now the only cam taking pics is the home cam but the others say there connected with daily report ,they are on very good sites such as feeders with plenty of deer eating there ,but we've NEVER GOTTEN a single pic after the first set up day from the other two cameras ,it sent pics from them the day we set them up of us messing around all out in front of them so we know they worked when we left ...any ideas ?
we set them up for 1 month around my home property and they worked fine and we got evening email pics and morning email pics ,now when it does send pics from the home cell unit its only in the morning time .I dont know what happen now that we set them out in woods .any help would be great ,there 300 miles from home now ...Lol
Thanks ,Shawn
ill pm you my email , it sounds like a setting was changed somehow email me the latest report and that may help