Cuddeback's Cuddelink

I have had 3 do this all during November and December all with external packs. Completely backlogged the network for 5 days until they killed the batteries. Cuddeback replaced everyone of them all i had to do was pay shipping. The last cam the cs person made me verify the time lapse wasn't on. As she was having me scroll though settings I just laughed and said time lapse is off if that is what you are checking. They were very friendly and it was quick.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It’s not just a Cudde problem.

https://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/57972-thousands-of-pictures-help/

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234878
Yeah just never new it till you got home from an hour trip back and forth previewfinder times.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Would I use NiMH in the camera or alkaline? Or does it matter? The port on a J series is a charging port isn't it?
if you are using the 3358 , put alkaline in both the camera and the 3358 booster.

You could run solar with the dual bank and also have alkaline in there too.
Thanks. If there are two solar models (one for g series and one for j series), which one do I use for K series? Also which solar panel model will be used with dual banks?

Looks like they are still having a lot of issues with these cameras

All brand’s have problems. More than you would believe. Most people just throw them away and never get on forums. Electronics have become a disposable product. TV, computer and IPhone repair shops are very scarce around here.

Thanks. If there are two solar models (one for g series and one for j series), which one do I use for K series? Also which solar panel model will be used with dual banks?
there really is just one solar kit and then an adapter for the g series. You can use the solar panel in the solar kit on the K- the solar cord will plug right into the back of the K- but you would need to buy Rechargeable d's. you can also wait until the dual power bank is out, that will use the same panel. and one "bay" of the dual will take alkalines and the other can be rechargeables if you want to plug the solar into it. Again, its the same cord and panel.

RRAB58 I know what you mean I work In The field of electronics, the way technology changes I wish they would get one product working to the bet of its ability and quit trying to improve it

It may have been mentioned, but I couldn’t find it.

Any info on when that dual power bank will be available?

Also curious what brand name D batteries have been found to be the best run in these cameras. I was thinking about building my own external system, but for now I’m using the D battery pack.

Also curious what brand name D batteries have been found to be the best run in these cameras. I was thinking about building my own external system, but for now I’m using the D battery pack.
I’ve been using Menards D cells. $9.99 for 12 and I’m 90 days in my G series still on externals.

there really is just one solar kit and then an adapter for the g series. You can use the solar panel in the solar kit on the K- the solar cord will plug right into the back of the K- but you would need to buy Rechargeable d's. you can also wait until the dual power bank is out, that will use the same panel. and one "bay" of the dual will take alkalines and the other can be rechargeables if you want to plug the solar into it. Again, its the same cord and panel.
Thank you John! Any update on when dual will be available?

Thank you John! Any update on when dual will be available?
dual power bank scheduled sometime in august probably later in the month. The 3358 with adapter cord allowing it be used in K , J And G will be in stock early-mid august.

I modded a 3358 power cable to fit the J series. I used R/A 1.7mm plug found on digikey (https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/tensility-international-corp/CA-2198/CP-2198-ND/568588). Like John said, it doesn't show ext on the daily report. However I have doubled the mah capacity of the D batteries. Last year I ran about 90 days before the 6 D batteries died. I'm hoping to get 190+ this year. I think that is fantastic for a camera with this type of ability. I buy D batteries in bulk on eBay and the cost was about .58 each or 6.96 for a J or K series camera with a booster pack (12 total) and 5.80 for a G series. So for about a dollar a month I'm able to run these. Add on the 15 a month for cell service and it's still under 20 a month if you have a few cams, not bad imo. My other trail cams we're run on lithiums which are more expensive per battery and I had to plan time, drive, hike, check cards, switch cards, hike back, drive back, and upload to my computer which is even more time. Yes the system isn't perfect but it's still got so many perks that make it worthwhile.

Attachments

• IMG_20190715_044801.jpg
    IMG_20190715_044801.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20190715_044918.jpg
    IMG_20190715_044918.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20190715_045005.jpg
    IMG_20190715_045005.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20190715_045606.jpg
    IMG_20190715_045606.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
RRAB58 I know what you mean I work In The field of electronics, the way technology changes I wish they would get one product working to the bet of its ability and quit trying to improve it

Where I once worked, our electronic’s were in a climate (cold) controlled room. The temperature, current & voltages were kept near constant. With a trail camera there are no constants. Varying input voltages, varying current draw and a very wide temperature range both internal and external.

If you read up on “10°C increase = half life- rule of thumb” and Arrhenius equation, may help explain the elevated failure rate of our devices. I am in the camp that believes that heat is detrimental to this devices. I am expecting my cameras to operate in an environment of 25-100 degrees.
It’s 90 degrees in the shade today. Get a popup shower and the temperature will drop 20’ in a matter of minutes. Heat within the operation of a device has to be dissipated. As these devices go small to micro, heat sinks are deleted for space. Electronic components have temperature limitations. Heat increases resistance. Elevated temperatures will affect or limit the output values of certain components. My cell phone shut down for “High Temperature Protection ” while I was setting out cameras.

I think trail camera circuit designers do pretty dang good to make them hold of as good as they do.

John,
Do you know how close is the power consumption of regular G series camera vs Powerhouse?

I actually tested the Powerhouse for voltage drop, watts & current at rest, taking day pics and also using Black Flash. One bit of information that maybe useful, or not, but the voltage under resting load dropped from 6.02v to 5.60= (.40) All cameras & batteries drop to some degree. Maybe that is why the manual on older Cuddeback did not recommend NiMh. (maybe except with solar)

it is scheduled for later in august - september , we have quite a few orders for them so it will take a bit to catch up. I like rayovac myself but the key is a good alkaline battery bought somewhere that turns a lot of batteries. , you dont want old stock or closeout stock.

John,
Do you know how close is the power consumption of regular G series camera vs Powerhouse?

I actually tested the Powerhouse for voltage drop, watts & current at rest, taking day pics and also using Black Flash. One bit of information that maybe useful, or not, but the voltage under resting load dropped from 6.02v to 5.60= (.40) All cameras & batteries drop to some degree. Maybe that is why the manual on older Cuddeback did not recommend NiMh. (maybe except with solar)
i dont think its enough to be overly concerned about it, the patented capacitor feature saves on battery usage and also insures you get a full flash regardless of battery level. There are more Leds on the powerhouse compared to the dual flash since you pick either black or IR on that model, There are other factors that will have a greater effect on battery usage than the flash module in the g/K series camera.

I just went to App Store on my Iphone and reviewed every Cell camera app that I could find. I’ll have to admit, some pretty interesting features. One even has Antler Recognition! Ability to remote Test, Temperature, GPS, Adjust settings etc.

But... if you go through reviews, LOTS of issues.

I setup a K camera today. I placed it in an area I ran a home cell last year. I did have some problems getting a successful test email. Last year I had to move he home cell to a more open edge to get a good signal. I figured this year with the high gain antennas it wouldn't be an issue, but it was. Even after moving the K camera to an open area it wasn't passing the email test. At one point it said "locked" on the display. So I double checked the cudde cell site and it still showed activated. I ended up removing the batteries and starting it up after it sat for a minute. I took some test images and it was working. Then it displayed that it was sending the images via the cell network. Ok, so I ran another test and it was successful. I mounted it to a tree and did 1 more test... It failed and again and again. Alright, what is going on? Tried moving back 5' to where it passed and it worked. I picked another tree and it worked again and everytime after. Very odd. My phone was fine but the camera was having trouble getting signal. Then I got all the emails, even from the failed tests...idk what's going on but I left it there and hope the other cams stay linked with it and it sends images and reports. Very wierd.

I setup a K camera today. I placed it in an area I ran a home cell last year. I did have some problems getting a successful test email. Last year I had to move he home cell to a more open edge to get a good signal. I figured this year with the high gain antennas it wouldn't be an issue, but it was. Even after moving the K camera to an open area it wasn't passing the email test. At one point it said "locked" on the display. So I double checked the cudde cell site and it still showed activated. I ended up removing the batteries and starting it up after it sat for a minute. I took some test images and it was working. Then it displayed that it was sending the images via the cell network. Ok, so I ran another test and it was successful. I mounted it to a tree and did 1 more test... It failed and again and again. Alright, what is going on? Tried moving back 5' to where it passed and it worked. I picked another tree and it worked again and everytime after. Very odd. My phone was fine but the camera was having trouble getting signal. Then I got all the emails, even from the failed tests...idk what's going on but I left it there and hope the other cams stay linked with it and it sends images and reports. Very wierd.
If you are in marginal area sometimes moving a very short distance can make a difference when downloading images . Phones are the same way . If your phone can download images easily in the area that is a good sign the cell unit should work but not an absolute . We have had cell units work in areas where phones didn’t work so it can go either way . Cell signal is also not constant it can change .
as far as the locked sign on the screen your camera had not yet recognized it was activated and when you removed the batteries and reinserted it recognized it.

i dont think its enough to be overly concerned about it, the patented capacitor feature saves on battery usage and also insures you get a full flash regardless of battery level. There are more Leds on the powerhouse compared to the dual flash since you pick either black or IR on that model, There are other factors that will have a greater effect on battery usage than the flash module in the g/K series camera.

I was just curious. For me, so far so good on Rayovac Alkaline batteries. My K= 30+ day 700+ pics @ 90%. My Powerhouse BF= 484 pics & 90% still on externals. About 60:40 night vs day pics. Very impressed.