Crossbow Noise

"I bought one as I'm not very comfortable standing in a treestand to shoot a compound, and the crossbow allows me to shoot while sitting."

Is there a reason you can't set and shoot your compound? I only shoot from a sitting position. I practice it and it allows much less movement than trying to stand and shoot or stand for countless hours.

Also, my kids have killed many deer with a PSE Fang. It was a whopping $269 and is quiet enough to kill deer out to 40 yards. I would just use what you have and try to get as close as possible with your shot.

VV

The primary reason most folks stand with a compound bow is that it significantly extends the kill zone area. That is kill zone around the stand, not kill zone on the deer. I can slowly stand when a deer's head is occluded long before it is in bow range (20 yard for me with a compound). I can then rotate my body as needed depending on the direction of approach. This give me a kill zone area of about 240 degrees around the stand verses about 60 degrees sitting.

Now I'm not counting those folks who set their bows two heavy and can't draw when sitting. That is an inappropriate reason to stand. If I can't draw my bow comfortably while sitting with one foot off the ground, it is set too heavy for hunting. Many of these speed freaks also set the draw length too long for hunting. Far more deer come into range and are not harvested with a compound because timing of the draw is bad and guys can't comfortably letdown in a controlled way and redraw than are lost because the bow is too slow.

Personally, I often shoot from a sitting position if surprised by a deer in range and don't have an opportunity to stand and the deer happens to be in and appropriate position for a shot. If they don't make it into the limited shooting angle when I'm seated, I won't stand, I'll simply let the deer walk.

Thanks,

Jack

The primary reason most folks stand with a compound bow is that it significantly extends the kill zone area. That is kill zone around the stand, not kill zone on the deer. I can slowly stand when a deer's head is occluded long before it is in bow range (20 yard for me with a compound). I can then rotate my body as needed depending on the direction of approach. This give me a kill zone area of about 240 degrees around the stand verses about 60 degrees sitting.

Now I'm not counting those folks who set their bows two heavy and can't draw when sitting. That is an inappropriate reason to stand. If I can't draw my bow comfortably while sitting with one foot off the ground, it is set too heavy for hunting. Many of these speed freaks also set the draw length too long for hunting. Far more deer come into range and are not harvested with a compound because timing of the draw is bad and guys can't comfortably letdown in a controlled way and redraw than are lost because the bow is too slow.

Personally, I often shoot from a sitting position if surprised by a deer in range and don't have an opportunity to stand and the deer happens to be in and appropriate position for a shot. If they don't make it into the limited shooting angle when I'm seated, I won't stand, I'll simply let the deer walk.

Thanks,

Jack

I do understand the reasoning some give for standing, but I have talked to hunters who never even give setting and shooting a compound a chance. They see the TV hunters all standing and think that is the way it has to be done. I was just pointing out that setting and shooting a compound is just as simple as a crossbow, if you practice it.

VV

I do understand the reasoning some give for standing, but I have talked to hunters who never even give setting and shooting a compound a chance. They see the TV hunters all standing and think that is the way it has to be done. I was just pointing out that setting and shooting a compound is just as simple as a crossbow, if you practice it.

VV

You are absolutely right. There is no one right way. There are advantages and disadvantages to most of our techniques. I personally would not hunt with a compound without shooting from a sitting position in my arsenal. I prefer the flexibility of standing when it is possible, but always want a setup and practice so that I can shoot from a seated position when the need arises.

The advantage a seated crossbow hunter has over a seated compound hunter is a little more kill angle range. With a rest and optics, most guys can shoot a crossbow with the opposite hand just as accurately. This gives them about 180 degrees of kill angle range. Of course, this advantage pales to the fact that a crossbow hunter does not have to draw and hold in the presence of game.

Thanks,

Jack

With a rest and optics, most guys can shoot a crossbow with the opposite hand just as accurately.

Killed one of the biggest bucks of my life late season from a box blind with a crossbow.

I'm right handed but when I was settling in on him, he got nervous and moved to my right. I would have hit the window jam right handed. Swapped things over lefty and drilled him. I did have a rest aim, but without that crossbow that deer doesn't get killed.

I like my compound, but for late season hunting/doe killing, I enjoy the near certainty of a crossbow

Don’t be telling anti Yoder that !

Don’t be telling anti Yoder that !

Fortunately, I hunt for my own enjoyment, and inside the parameters of the law. Someone else's idea of ethics and morals being forced upon me doesn't bother me too much. I know where I stand. We're killing deer here. It's not the calling a man can have. If I enjoy it and it's legal, and not hurting anyone else, I don't really care.

Fortunately, I hunt for my own enjoyment, and inside the parameters of the law. Someone else's idea of ethics and morals being forced upon me doesn't bother me too much. I know where I stand. We're killing deer here. It's not the calling a man can have. If I enjoy it and it's legal, and not hurting anyone else, I don't really care.
You certainly won't have any forced by me. Ethics, by definition from my point of view, are something self-imposed. It is good to share our own ethical standards with each other, but they are our own.

Thanks,

jack

You certainly won't have any forced by me. Ethics, by definition from my point of view, are something self-imposed. It is good to share our own ethical standards with each other, but they are our own.

Thanks,

jack

Agreed. Do what's legal in the woods and have fun. Get out of it what you need to get out of it, and keep doing it.

Some people are offended by a bait pile, some by a feeder, some by poison pods (just not fred bear) and some people are just happiest when their offended. Go enjoy being outside and don't sweat the small stuff.

Agreed. Do what's legal in the woods and have fun. Get out of it what you need to get out of it, and keep doing it.

Some people are offended by a bait pile, some by a feeder, some by poison pods (just not fred bear) and some people are just happiest when their offended. Go enjoy being outside and don't sweat the small stuff.

Well said.

VV

Use a heavier bolt. It will reduce the sound dramatically.

Use a heavier bolt. It will reduce the sound dramatically.

Yep, there are lots of ways to quiet a bow and a heavier arrow which slows it down is certainly one way to reduce noise.