crossbow Broadhead Recommendations

yoderjac

5 year old buck +
When I find something that works, I don't change just for the heck of it, especially when I comes to lost deer. For years, when hunting with my compound, I was shooting fold back style broadheads. I quickly stop using 2 blade style. I found the I need 3 blades because with two blades, you never know what angle they will impact the deer. The 3 blade style, in my experience, provides a better blood trail by far. This is not the only factor as exit wound height plays an even bigger role, but it is a factor. I also found the the ferrules were prone to slight bending after a shot. I was unwilling to take the risk of replacing blades on a ferrule that may be slightly bent. Back then, broadheads were not so expensive so I would just use them once.

As my compound career was beginning to transition to compound because of arthritis, I began experimenting with the rage style push out broadheads. I was impress with them. I found that they leave a good exit and better entry wound that many of the fold back type. I also found the ferrules on these were shorter and generally did not bend. So, I started with the 3 blade crossbow version when I began using a crossbow more frequently. They worked great but were expensive.

I have a bunch of shot broadheads and was planning to do blade replacements. I could not find any. I just checked with the manufacturer and they no longer make the replacement blade kits for them! They still sell the broadheads and sell blades for other models, but not these. I'm not sure why.

At any rate, I'm looking for a new broadhead that uses the push-back-and-lock rage style, has 3 blades, and have replacement blades available. I'd like to hear any recommendations you folks have.

Thanks,

Jack

I have not shot them personally but the truglo x 4 crossbow have a really good following on the crossbow forums I used to frequent. If I purchase new heads for the boys to use for a crossbow that is what it will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not shot them personally but the truglo x 4 crossbow have a really good following on the crossbow forums I used to frequent. If I purchase new heads for the boys to use for a crossbow that is what it will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those are fixed blade. I have found I get much better accuracy from mechanicals.

That is what I've been using. Those are the ones that they no longer make replacement blades for. Given the cost of 1 shot use, I was looking for a replacement for them that have replacement blades available.

I have had exceptional accuracy with fixed blade low profile trochar tipped.

excaliber is touting there 175 grain beast.

I have had exceptional accuracy with fixed blade low profile trochar tipped.

excaliber is touting there 175 grain beast.
Thanks, but the lower the profile, which supports accuracy, the smaller the exit wound. My deer are small and penetration is not an issue.

Thanks,

Jack

SWAT broadheads. Check them out. Fly like a field point and make devastating holes. I switched to them a couple years ago and will shoot nothing else. Very happy with them.

https://swatbroadheads.com/

SWAT broadheads. Check them out. Fly like a field point and make devastating holes. I switched to them a couple years ago and will shoot nothing else. Very happy with them.

https://swatbroadheads.com/
The look very interesting. But there is not much savings. I would need to replace blades 4 times to save over buying new rage broadheads. If I loose an arrow or hit a rock or something with the point, I lose money if I haven't replaced the blades on it 3 times already. They do look interesting.

Thanks,

Jack

I’ve shot multiple deer with this broad head. Shot an 8 point head on from the ground - he died. Shot a doe from the ground, bounced off her spine and exited pointing down - she died. Shot a doe from a tree stand, through brush - she died.

I can go on. But you get the point.

I fooled around with some Grim Reaper broadheads and thought they were the real deal.

I just entered the crossbow realm never really being an archer before...heck never really being a deer hunter period! OK, I've shot a handful with my rifle but I digress.
I have been devouring youtube vidoes on this subject but before that all I heard was Rage hypodermics, I ended up choosing the Tripan NC. I have not shot a deer yet so no real world experience to relate but back to the Youtubers...the Sevr 2.0 gets very high marks in many tests. If I were not using Rage I would buy some Sevr to try. The knock on Rage according to testers was quartering shots, they mostly state broadside is best but the Sevr got passing grades on broadside and quartering shots.

These seem to be a fit economically. There are around $50 for a 3 pack and $20 for replacement blades. I've been paying about $40 for a 3 pack of rage.

I'd like to hear more about performance from anyone with real world experience with them.

I just entered the crossbow realm never really being an archer before...heck never really being a deer hunter period! OK, I've shot a handful with my rifle but I digress.
I have been devouring youtube vidoes on this subject but before that all I heard was Rage hypodermics, I ended up choosing the Tripan NC. I have not shot a deer yet so no real world experience to relate but back to the Youtubers...the Sevr 2.0 gets very high marks in many tests. If I were not using Rage I would buy some Sevr to try. The knock on Rage according to testers was quartering shots, they mostly state broadside is best but the Sevr got passing grades on broadside and quartering shots.

I've used 2 blade broadheads in the past and won't go back. The problem I found is that a 2 blade broadhead makes a single slice through the animal. The orientation of that slice can be at any angle. If it happens to hit at a good orientation, you can get a decent blood trail, but at other angles, not so much. A slice through the hide at the exit wound can close up much faster than the flap type opening created by a 3 blade.

Our deer are not big and I'm shooting a crossbow with a lot of KE. I limit my shots to 30 yards. I'm also pretty careful with shot selection. I've never had an arrow that did not get a pass-thru unless I hit a front shoulder (a very rare bad shot). This did happen once when a crossbow limb slightly hit an obstruction. However, if you hit the front shoulder, you are unlikely to get a pass through regardless of the broadhead.

If you are new to the sport, you will find there is a big gap between youtube videos and real life. I'm very slow to change broadheads once I have one that works well. Things like opening in flight, failure to deploy in game, etc. cause lost and wounded deer that I strive to avoid. That is why I'm soliciting the good, bad, and ugly from folks here about options.

Thanks,

Jack

I'm using an excaliber now which is not a compound. Definitely slower but the dealer said it will last. I got a doe and my daughter got one yesterday so it is 2 for 2 with each deer only running about 30 yards. Dealer recommended these fixed blades and at less tan $10 per blade I just assume they are going to be throw away. I normally only find half my bolts anyway.

FYI my last crossbow I had for 4 years and I used rage expanding blades. These fixed blade heads did just as much damage from what I've seen. I'm only taking shots 35 yards and in.

Just throwing this out there... but if you are worried about mechanical failures then a mechanical broadhead might not be best.

Fixed heads can fly very accurately and repeatably even if they don't have the same poi as a field point. Simplest solution is to practice with broadheads.

To each their own. I hope you can find something suitable.