Crabapple timeline

7f0c85460554d8c146e3f2f59a2ae7d7.jpg

B118 fruit is smaller than Geneva Crab. Again, white seeds so the fruit isn’t ripe.

B128 has better flavor than Geneva at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You got decent fruit on your B-118 at least. The B-118's I let grow out ( they didn't grow much after 5 years ) had 3/4" fruit at best. They looked more like bushes than trees - no good with bears here. I yanked those and planted grafted apple & crab trees in those spots.

Glad you got decent fruit on yours.

2 of the seedling crabs you mailed me the seed for grew about 4 feet this summer. The others not quite as much, but they all look good. I can't wait to plant them next spring at camp. All are in pots.

7f0c85460554d8c146e3f2f59a2ae7d7.jpg

B118 fruit is smaller than Geneva Crab. Again, white seeds so the fruit isn’t ripe.

B128 has better flavor than Geneva at this point.

Should be B118, not B128.

You got decent fruit on your B-118 at least. The B-118's I let grow out ( they didn't grow much after 5 years ) had 3/4" fruit at best. They looked more like bushes than trees - no good with bears here. I yanked those and planted grafted apple & crab trees in those spots.

2 of the seedling crabs you mailed me the seed for grew about 4 feet this summer. The others not quite as much, but they all look good. I can't wait to plant them next spring at camp. All are in pots.

I had very poor luck with seeds this year. We had two weeks with warm weather and the ground cracked like seeds were sprouting. Then two weeks of very cold and ground refrozen. One seedling emerged and it just won’t grow.

My B118’s are all trees but very slow to fruit. I will probably top work at least one of them next spring. I think there are 5. Some were planted as is, some are failed grafts.

ee25052b53f15c5b4b06903de7b900ec.jpg

B118 in the foreground.

^^^^^^ The B-118's I planted at camp were only as high as halfway up your cage. No signs of upward growth - just bushes more or less. I guess I drew the wrong samples.

I had very poor luck with seeds this year. We had two weeks with warm weather and the ground cracked like seeds were sprouting. Then two weeks of very cold and ground refrozen. One seedling emerged and it just won’t grow.
I started the seeds in pots indoors so I could baby them early on. Some grew, some didn't and died off. But the ones on our patio have done well. I added a mix of some bagged compost, peat moss and composted manure to the pots earlier in the summer. Only sunshine and water (rain or hose) since then. The tallest one is a seedling from Yellow Dog at just over 51 inches tall.

I started the seeds in pots indoors so I could baby them early on. Some grew, some didn't and died off. But the ones on our patio have done well. I added a mix of some bagged compost, peat moss and composted manure to the pots earlier in the summer. Only sunshine and water (rain or hose) since then. The tallest one is a seedling from Yellow Dog at just over 51 inches tall.

My one and only seedling is now about 8 inches tall, speaking of last fall’s seedling planting.

In other years, when I had good growth, I thinned seedlings based on keeping faster growing varieties and bronze leafed varieties.

One fairly knowledgeable person said that there is a genetic link between slower growth and later blooming time. He is in a northern environment and felt the later bloom might be better suited for areas with late frosts. It seems like he was from Canada. True or not, I have no idea. Just his observation.

I tried a couple of windfalls. The seeds were white in both cases, so the apples are not ripe.
452be1dc8feff66564d8db62fd5e08cc.jpg

The clusters of fruit with Geneva crab impress me. The fruit should add color to cider.

Geneva crab on my wild swamp crab and on dolgo rootstock has been one of my fastest growing grafts.

You can see the drought stress in the leaves! All I have been doing is hauling water. 900 gallons hauled yesterday.

85718da1042ad651ed518915bee8a569.jpg

One fairly knowledgeable person said that there is a genetic link between slower growth and later blooming time. He is in a northern environment and felt the later bloom might be better suited for areas with late frosts. It seems like he was from Canada. True or not, I have no idea. Just his observation.
I'm keeping the slower growers too. Some of the Buckman seedlings are lagging - but still growing. Some of those are about 2 feet tall now - but look good and stout. No bronze or red leaves, but variations in leaf shapes and densities are evident.

60d3cef5796ad38ddf599a62d2ae86fd.jpg

Whitney’s crab are not quite ripe. I checked three recent windfalls and only one had dark seeds.

No picture here, but grafted dolgo and chestnut crab are both dropping some ripe apples. This is about 7-10 days early from my records.

Chestnut tends to have a long slow drop for me.

I picked some chestnut apples this past weekend. They were really good. But there wasn’t enough to do anything with them.

53af98396c0909f86bcf885667a3f3f1.jpg

Martha Crab is ripe and dropping. It is a very juicy crab with decent crunch and a mild flavor. All of this is based on one apple. The other apple dropped and I can’t find it.

B118 are ripe and about done dropping based on 6-10 apples. Geneva Crab is ripe but very slow to drop. This might be a decent deer apple, yet.

Rescue crab doesn’t seem to drop easily, but it turns to mush.

^^^^ Nice size for deer.

71608839ff585ea46dd50b93df7c8196.jpg

I want to taste this crab, but the hornets won’t let me get to the apple crabs.

d54df653519a44f09dd04813be8e8854.jpg

Bastians Orange Flesh is near ripe.

Love this one! Sweet looking crab.

Last edited: