Cover crops and cash rent

bjseiler

5 year old buck +
I have a new property that includes 40 acres of soybeans/corn that has been farmed by a local guy on a year to year cash rent basis. I'd like him to do a cover crop over next winter but I don't really understand the economics of it and I'd like to know that going into the conversation. I will reach out to NRCS to see if there are active programs for helping with the funding but otherwise, I am curious if anyone has gone through this and what should my expectation be? Is that a net expense to the farmer and he'll want a lower cash rent rate or does the cover crop offset enough of the fertilizer requirement the next year so maybe it is a wash?

The idea of a 40 acre food plot put in by somebody else, on somebody else's dime, seems appealing but I don't know what I don't know. Thanks!

I guess I would look into the seed cost per acre and just offer to reduce his rent by that amount and see if He bites. The beans will be out in plenty of time for a cover crop as will the corn if he chops it. If he combines the corn I'm not sure you'll have adequate time for germination. However, I dont know where your ground is so...

EDIT: I guess you could also get him to sign a contract requiring the use of cover crops. If he turns you down I doubt you'll have problem finding someone else to agree to the terms.

Renting good AG ground is very competitive. There are farmers that realize that after several years the cover crop will pay, but it's not an immediate pay off. Many don't realize the benefits. I would ask the FSA office who in the area is cover-cropping, it may be a good place to start. If you want it cover cropped I would make sure you demand it, someone will be willing to gain the acreage. I also would stipulate the frequency of soil testing, and require maintenance fertilization, and some building of nutrients if the ground is deficient. I also stipulate "No Fall Plowing" on my farms. I keep the farms limed on my dime. There are many things to consider, it's more difficult to get things added down the road, make sure you get what you want up front.

NRCS has a program that pays for cover crop seed. The catches are there is a $10k lifetime max and spring crops must be no tilled. My buddy has used it the last two years. They put him in touch with a guy who drops the cover crop seed out of an airplane.

Depending on what tools you have available.....I would simply broadcast wheat, rye and turnips as soon as the combine will allow. I have nothing against radish, it's just a little bit larger seed and tends to germinate better in worked soil. This will provide decent results in cut beans and chopped corn. Combined corn however will need to have the residue removed to get better seed/soil contact. You can do this with a rake or even burning. Then broadcast your seed. Keep in mind I doubt you really need to do the entire 40 acres. The turnips are not going to grow huge bulbs because they will lack the time to do so, but will provide some bulbs and forage, the wheat and rye will do just fine on it's own. IF you have visions of this looking like a purpose made fall plot - that won't happen. Many brassica require 60 to 90 day to achieve max results and you won't have that from the time the harvest is complete until the weather shuts down plant growth.

If you really want the farmer to drill a cover crop - you may have an uphill battle if he doesn't do it already. He has to re-calibrate his drill and get the tractor out and the like and that all takes time and money on top of the seed costs. To do this for 40 acres is just a PITA. He may also have other areas to harvest at that time. I would however make sure he isn't pulling everything out of your soil and then going to leave.....an annual soil test from various locations should be taken and HE should be required to assure the nutrient levels are the same the day he leaves as they are the day he showed up. I do this and it's written into the contract.

I would suggest you talk to the farmer just to make sure he isn't going to fall spray or fall till and the like and do as I suggested above but target areas near thick cover where the deer are going to be. Broadcast/clear a 100' to 100 yard wide area at the edge of the field in those areas and see how it works for you.

I had to throw this picture in. I believe this field had been green beans before the cover crop. Picture was taken on October 6 , but Back a few years
b1b03ee76e8fc04caddfc0bd8f13e983.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rubik's cube.
If the producer is enrolled in Farm Bill programs including crop insurance he/she has a conservation plan developed by NRCS. The plan will be based on the erodibility of the soil. A cover crop may be required. That doesn't always mean it gets done. Leaving stubble in a field is also a conserving practice. As the landowner you have the right to see the plan and an obligation to see that such a plan is implemented. If an erodibility determination has not been done, request one immediately if you expect any government payments. Yes, check with your local NRCS. Here in Virginia NRCS doesn't have a program to pay for cover crops. But, the local Soil and Water Conservation District often does. I suspect the desire for the producer to do cover crops is a personal issue once past what's required. As a producer I would see it as an expense you, the owner would need to bear or would expect to pay lower rent in exchange for whatever inputs and services I provide. Never mind, that in the back of my head I might be seeing benefit. To the producer it's a long-term project with uncertain outcomes on rented land. I would also note that for farmers participating in Farm Bill programs, cover crops must be terminated before reaching full maturity. Otherwise, its a double crop situation with tenuous implications for program payments.

I think you will find there may be differences from state to state.There are many good articles on water improvement if creeks or ponds close by.Also moisture conservation and reduction of soil compaction.Some farmers do it around here but mostly if they are putting cattle on to winter graze.I would see about planting an acre or 2 of wheat and then spray to burn down in spring