Couple of Food Plot Questions

bowhunternw

5 year old buck +
I am a fairly new landowner and plan on experimenting with some small food plots this year. I plan on doing a clover plot and also trying to cycle the LC rotation. The clover is supposed to last 3-5 years from what I read, how to you go about killing it to switch over to barrasicas when the time comes? The other part is cycling the barrasica mix with the cereal grain mix, both being planted late mid to late summer. Do you do anything to prevent weeds in the annual crop portions, from spring to planting time.

I like to sew oats and red clover in my demolished brassica plots. If you mean getting ready this spring/summer to prepare for your first fall plantings? You could spray several times to clean up the ground, or again, plant oats/clover. The planting will help choke out weeds too.

I am a fairly new landowner and plan on experimenting with some small food plots this year. I plan on doing a clover plot and also trying to cycle the LC rotation. The clover is supposed to last 3-5 years from what I read, how to you go about killing it to switch over to barrasicas when the time comes? The other part is cycling the barrasica mix with the cereal grain mix, both being planted late mid to late summer. Do you do anything to prevent weeds in the annual crop portions, from spring to planting time.
Agree with MO...what equipment and planting methods do you have at your disposal? I have no real equipment or implements to speak of. I do all my planting my mowing/spraying/seeding. I am currently in the LC brassica and cereal grain rotation. I will be frost seeding some med red clover into the spent brassicas and then once the threat of frost is gone I will over seed with crimson clover and probably some oats. I'll have to see what if any weed competition is going on in those strips as well and make adjustments as needed.

Sorry not very clear on my description. MoBuck answered my question on my clover question. The other question was just on the annual plots, because they would die over winter therefor leaving an opportunity for weeds to take over from spring until time to plant mid summer. My question was if you do anything in that timeframe or just let it go.

As far as my plots I am going to start very small, mow, spray, rake by hand and then some type of cultipack. This is just going to be an experiment year to see what works. I hope to get some soil testing done once the ground thaws to get an idea of ph.

Sorry not very clear on my description. MoBuck answered my question on my clover question. The other question was just on the annual plots, because they would die over winter therefor leaving an opportunity for weeds to take over from spring until time to plant mid summer. My question was if you do anything in that timeframe or just let it go.

As far as my plots I am going to start very small, mow, spray, rake by hand and then some type of cultipack. This is just going to be an experiment year to see what works. I hope to get some soil testing done once the ground thaws to get an idea of ph.

Maybe I didn't word it well. If your doing LC brassica and cereal grain mix rotation the cereal grain mix will have winter rye and some clover....they will both be there come spring and can be manged the following spring and summer just as if you had planted clover with a cereal grain nurse crop for establishing clover. You can terminate the rye once it starts to get 12"+ to release the clover....or you can just let the rye go until you plan to prep for the brassicas...6 of one, half dozen of the other. Letting the rye go it may set seed (depending on when you plan to start mow/spray prep for brassica mix) which is no big deal you may just end up with some rye in your brassicas.

With the brassica mix you can frost seed some medium red clover into the spent brassicas in the late winter/early spring following their planting. If things look a little thin in as spring progresses you can then overseed with a fast growing annual clover like crimson and even throw some oats in as well. That will help you get ahead of the weeds. You can let the crimson and oats go to seed if you want, it will only add a little of both to the following LC cereal grain mix in late Aug early September.

I also know few people that will broadcast some clover in with their brassicas and they have had a good stand of clover come up the following spring. Experiment away and keep us updated on those experiments with pics too! Like mo said a soil test would be a good idea!

Also, are these plots tucked in the woods or are they more out in the open...like maybe old field type habitat? In the woods make sure you cut enough trees and over hanging limbs back off the plot to get as much light as possible and raking tree leaf litter off helps to get seed to soul contact. But if it's old field type of scenario I wouldn't even waste time raking. Just mow really tight and then about a week later spray. You can broadcast seed, lime and fert right into the killed sod with no problem. Raking would just be a lot of work and for not much gained. Rain will drive those small seeds down through the dead stuff. The killed sod will also give you organic matter and will help conserve soil moisture. I do this all the time with good results.

Question ... How many acres of food plots are you planning total? How much are you doing this year?

I have about 2.5 acres in food plots. Each year I only do about 1/2 an acre fall planting. I plow under the spot and plant oats, PTT, and white clover (all locally available and cheap). That clover plot will keep going until I make it around to that spot in a few years. I'll pick a different .5 acre for next year and rotate. I'm far from any kind of expert, but this works for me. I work with small older tractors and .5 acre is just about perfect for me to completely finish in one day, plow, disk, seed. I always have 2.5 acres of quality food and I believe this method is healthy for the soil.

Anyway, to answer one of your questions ... to terminate clover I plow it under. Lol!

Yes I have 4 openings in my woods that range from 1 - 2 acres, all grass. I thought about raking up the debris on the bottom just to increase soil contact, but maybe that is not needed. These test strips will be 1/4 acre max until I get the hang of things. Phil you seem to have clover growing in your plots most of the time, do you terminate it with 24d when time to seed the barrasicas or is tillage enough to set it back. Suppose if the clover is cheap that would be a great option as it adds nitrogen to the soil, which the barrasicas need. Is an annual clover easier to kill than a perennial? TMIL do you ever break the cycle of clover, what is PTT?

I Frost seed Crimson in the spring on plots to be used for Brassica's. I burn it off with round up.

Yes I have 4 openings in my woods that range from 1 - 2 acres, all grass. I thought about raking up the debris on the bottom just to increase soil contact, but maybe that is not needed. These test strips will be 1/4 acre max until I get the hang of things. Phil you seem to have clover growing in your plots most of the time, do you terminate it with 24d when time to seed the barrasicas or is tillage enough to set it back. Suppose if the clover is cheap that would be a great option as it adds nitrogen to the soil, which the barrasicas need. Is an annual clover easier to kill than a perennial? TMIL do you ever break the cycle of clover, what is PTT?
I try to have at least something growing at all times...clover is one. I dont till at all so, i just kill it with gly after i have mowed it down really tight. then i broadcast seed right into the dead stuff. You are right, clover is cheap and it provides some N for the following brassica crop.

PTT = Purple top turnip. DER = dwarf essex rape. GHFR = Ground Hog Forage Radish. Those are the primary components of the LC brassica mix.

I try to have at least something growing at all times...clover is one. I dont till at all so, i just kill it with gly after i have mowed it down really tight. then i broadcast seed right into the dead stuff. You are right, clover is cheap and it provides some N for the following brassica crop.

PTT = Purple top turnip. DER = dwarf essex rape. GHFR = Ground Hog Forage Radish. Those are the primary components of the LC brassica mix.

I think the next sticky needed is for acronyms!

I pretty much always have white clover growing on all 2.5 acres. Once every 4 years or so, I plow and plant for the fall oats and PTT. I include ladino clover in each fall planting to get it a head start come the next spring.

Thanks for all the advice here, makes things a little clearer. Now wait for summer.

Thanks for all the advice here, makes things a little clearer. Now wait for summer.

holler if you want/need any help up there. as it sounds we're only a few miles from each other. you can take a look at what I've done the past two years, and learn from mistakes and successes. I've been in the act of acquiring equipment the past year as well, so I would be willing to help out there if needed. I've been ordering my seed from the grain elevator in TRF, seems to be fairly reasonable prices, and you can get everything you need for food plots. tillage radish, purple top turnips, dwarf essex rape, alice/ladino white clovers, medium red clover, alfalfa....etc.

people have helped me out in the past...if I can be of assistance I'll gladly help just let me know.

holler if you want/need any help up there. as it sounds we're only a few miles from each other. you can take a look at what I've done the past two years, and learn from mistakes and successes. I've been in the act of acquiring equipment the past year as well, so I would be willing to help out there if needed. I've been ordering my seed from the grain elevator in TRF, seems to be fairly reasonable prices, and you can get everything you need for food plots. tillage radish, purple top turnips, dwarf essex rape, alice/ladino white clovers, medium red clover, alfalfa....etc.

people have helped me out in the past...if I can be of assistance I'll gladly help just let me know.

I just saw this, yes I will have to meet up with you sometime this summer.

The easiest way I've found to start a clover plot is to plant the LC cereal grain mix in the fall with the clover, wait till the spring and terminate the rye by either spraying or mowing. For me spring planted clover plots have worked but din't seem to take quite as good as the fall planted ones.

I have had good luck spring planting clover after spraying with oust the previous fall in my woods plots that only get a few hours of sunlight. I usually throw in some leftover WR in those too. In more open areas the fall planting is the way to go.

My woods plots don't get enough sun to do a fall planting. These are really small micro plots though. Cleared with my hand saw.
Always more than one way to get things done in different situations. LIke Badger said mine are out in the open.