Couple of apple spray questions.

Banjoman

Yearling... With promise
I have a very small home orchard that i am determined to get some decent eating apples from. I have tried spraying the last couple of years with the bonides homeowners strength spray and had poor results. I just purchased some Captan 50w,imidan 70w and immunox, Myclo 20ew (liquid for CAR problems) and i am going to spray regularly according to schedule this year. I use a 4 gallon backpack sprayer and have sprayed dormant oil twice this year.I am about to spray with my new chemicals and have a few questions.1.Can i mix the immunox with my captan and imidan?? How much per gallon? Im using 1 tablespoon per gallon Captan,1/2 teaspoon per gallon Imidan and 1/2 teaspoon(?? Not sure) per gallon of liquid Myclo. My math is terrible and the myclo says use 4 to 6 oz per 100 gallons.I figured i must be close with that. I have some turbo sticker and a jug of non ionic surfactant that i use with my foodplot chemicals. Which would be better to use with this mix if at all.Thanks,Mike

If Maya doesnt respond in a day or two you might try a PM to him. I am sure he is busy as all get out, but he would likely have the best info for you when it comes to spraying.

Read the labels. Those amounts seem very light. I use about 6 cups of Captan for 60 gallons and I use 3/4 lb of imidan for 60 gallons. The labels tell you by acre but they also mention some amounts per gallon for apple trees

Sorry TC, been busy. For dilute spray, use 2 tablespoon/1 oz per gallon of water, for Captan and Imidan. Maybe slightly more w/ Cap 50. Spray fine spray on trees until dilute/just dripping off leaves. I have never used Myclo, so I'm not sure on that, but go by the label. Spray Captan starting at 1/2" green at 10-14 day intervals or 2" of rain. Imidan starting at petal fall. Both thru the end of July and they can be sprayed together. Oil is to smother eggs of mites, scale and aphids. Once at green tip with a 2% solution should do it. Put it on pretty heavy. Don't spray Captan for 10 days after spraying oil.Maily do not combine the two. Don't worry about a sticker. This will get you decent apples, but is in no means going to cover everything.

There is a ton to it so if you want to know more buy a tree fruit management guide and get reading, but before I went to classes, this got me decent apples. The key is to get the trees covered before the pest(fungus or insect) hits the tree, but you really need to read up and learn their life cycles to understand how to combat them.

Last edited:
***Always wear protective clothing, gloves, mask when filling and spraying. Read and follow all label directions.

Thanks Maya,I read somewhere in one of the forums about the 1 tbl per gallon for Captan and 1/2 teaspoon Imidan per gl and that seemed kind of light to me.Maybe they were talking about a more concentrated version than what i bought from keystone. I dont have a decent respirator and need to get one.Any suggestions where? Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge on this

Northern tool...

I think with imidan and captan you can use long sleeves long pants a mask and safety glasses. I don't think the label calls for a full respirator but recheck the label. I don't use respirator but I am still normal :confused:o_O lol seriously I just use mask and glasses and hat

I was spraying Captan/Imidan a couple of weeks ago without protection.

The hose clamps where the hose meets the spray handle gave way and a torrent of chemicals hit me in the face. Had I not had my friend there to drive the UTV back to the cabin (and thus allowing me to keep my eyes closed), I'd have been in a pretty bad way with nothing to wipe my face and no water to flush my face.

Never again!

It is a problem if ingested and to your eyes if you read the label but they are not high risk chemicals like some

Imidan is nothing to mess w/, always where a respirator when loading and spraying! It really dusts up easily when loading.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&ipp=24&Ntt=reperator

This! If anyone thinks Imidan is not something to be respected, read about Organophosphate poisoning. It can make you very sick (or worse) very quickly.

Y'all have me scared to fool with these chemicals!

Y'all have me scared to fool with these chemicals!

No need to be scared. Just like any tool (e.g. chainsaw, orchard ladder), they need to be used properly and treated with respect as improper use can result in serious injury or death.

I got. One from Northern Tool and will start using it

This apple stuff aint easy!! Tight pink is a pretty small window of time! Just got er done today without a minute to spare.Between wind and rain, today was the only day i could do it.Some of my trees were a little more than tight,alot were more like a pink ball.None were open except one branch on one tree which i left alone.Wild trees nearby are in full flower and so are the ornamentals around my house.When i spray again at petal fall,what is the perfect time.It seems almost impossible to do it all at once with several different varieties in one small orchard. Any advice would be appreciated

Thats where large orchards with 1000s of trees of the same variety have it easy!:D Make sure you avoid spraying when bees are still active.

This apple stuff aint easy!! Tight pink is a pretty small window of time! Just got er done today without a minute to spare.Between wind and rain, today was the only day i could do it.Some of my trees were a little more than tight,alot were more like a pink ball.None were open except one branch on one tree which i left alone.Wild trees nearby are in full flower and so are the ornamentals around my house.When i spray again at petal fall,what is the perfect time.It seems almost impossible to do it all at once with several different varieties in one small orchard. Any advice would be appreciated
What did you spray ? Don't spray for insects until almost all the petals fall from your blooms otherwise as turkey said you can harm the bees which is a tragedy You can continue to spray fungicides however to protect from all the apple tree diseases such as Apple scab and sooty blotch etc. every 7 to 10 days or until 2 inches of rain has fallen whichever comes first

Hope i didnt mess up. So far i sprayed dormant oil about a month ago during a warm spell.Next i sprayed captan and imidan and immunox at half leaf and today i sprayed the same at tight pink.I have notes that i took off another internet forum last year and followed it.Dont want to hurt the bees.my next spray will be at petal fall which i think i wrote down in my notes(90%petal fall).Heres another dumb question from a newbie. If you are to do a critical spray at 90%petal fall wont you still have some flowers on the tree?? I did do lighter amounts of chemicals though 2tabls of captan per gal and a teaspoon of imidan and immunox per gal