Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump just unhinged them enough to not even try to hide it.
Dont kid yourself. Trump didnt unhinge the media, he unhinged the swamp dwellers who control the media.

Lol that’s funny I’m almost 50 and can remember watching the nightly news when we got 3 stations 4 in good weather and thought to myself wow that was ridiculously one sided. It’s been this way a lot longer than 5 years.
I don't think the press has ever been one sided. The state controlled Russian press is an example of a one sided press. I will say the press has always been bias. I was bias toward toward the govt in the 50s and 60s. They ignored JFK affairs and similar things at the time. I believe the Viet Nam war was the turning point. Many folks against the war and governments were attracted to journalism to "expose" the wrongs". As these folks entered the field, even when they tried, as some honestly did, to present both sides, issues were always framed with their personal bias. Nothing new about this, it is just that a large majority of the folks in the press were now left leaning. Chummer is right about Trump being skilled at using them. He was not even considered a player when the decided to run for the Republican nomination. He knew that controversy drives the press and would say and do anything, no matter how outrageous, to get their attention. He got more free press during the primary than any other candidate by far.

I find it interesting how the general public has gone from watching the mainstream press and identifying and critiquing the liberal framing and bias to jumping into internet arenas where they get to hear what they want to hear regardless of objective truth.

Years ago, when Putin came to power, one of his cronies had an idea. The regime would fund and start many opposition parties around different interest groups. Before long they had lots of small parties that were ultimately controlled by the state. Each could go so far in opposition to the government before being reined in. When an opposition leader began to get a little to popular, he was removed (jailed, killed, or whatever). For many years, this was hidden, but eventually they began doing it in the open. Why? When lies are repeated over and over as in state media, some believe it and others know it is not true. When there is no common objective truth, the people don't know what to believe and often just through their hands up and say "it is what it is".

Our free press will never be unbias because it is made up of humans and we all have bias, intentional or unintentional. Pendulums swing. I guess I had always hoped that as young folks saw the liberal bias in the mainstream media, more conservative folks would go into it as a balance. The problem is that the internet largely destroyed the mainstream media before the pendulum could swing. So, we now have the internet and thousands of channels each with its own kind of bias. Instead of the news being pushed by several competing mainstream media outlets, it is now pulled by the people individually from sources of their choosing. Rather than a common set of objective facts that we can argue policy over as a people, we now have each little interest group with its own set of "facts" often in complete contradiction with one another.

^^^ I stopped reading after your 1st sentence.

Mmmmmm... that is kinda his point. I am not guiltless either by the way.

"Instead of the news being pushed by several competing mainstream media outlets, it is now pulled by the people individually from sources of their choosing. Rather than a common set of objective facts that we can argue policy over as a people, we now have each little interest group with its own set of "facts" often in complete contradiction with one another."

Most people don't come to internet forums to read lengthy personal essays. Being able to get your point(s) across quickly and succinctly is a skill.

Its kinda presumptuous to assume that the people who disagree with the msm only get their news from websites they agree with. Most of us go to many different sites or channels to form our opinions.

Its kinda presumptuous to assume that the people who disagree with the msm only get their news from websites they agree with. Most of us go to many different sites or channels to form our opinions.
But then you have to think. That's where the problems start.

Information is key.

Keep an eye on this. John Hopkins is reputable.

Must be viewed on a computer screen, too much data to see on a phone screen. It is updated about every 8 hours. You can scroll around the map.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Ps,.. they can no longer test the number of folks who have it. Many estimates are 500,000 in china infected.

It is similar to the flu with 2 differences.

1) 2% die. Normal flu is .1%

2) It has a much higher transmission factor.

2% die with proper medical care, such as a ventilator. If hospitals are overloaded expect that number to be higher.

China has never been an honest player ,. and sure as hell isn't being now.

No one knows how this will pan out,.. anyone who says they do,.. don't believe them.

Information is key.
Thanks for being the voice of reason.

Mmmmmm... that is kinda his point. I am not guiltless either by the way.

"Instead of the news being pushed by several competing mainstream media outlets, it is now pulled by the people individually from sources of their choosing. Rather than a common set of objective facts that we can argue policy over as a people, we now have each little interest group with its own set of "facts" often in complete contradiction with one another."

Reading only things that reinforce your own viewpoint is ubiquitous these days. I'm not trying to change anyone's political viewpoint. Just describing where we are and how we got here. My personal political viewpoint probably straddles many of the views I see expressed. Some folks are in so deep they can't consider other views.

Reading only things that reinforce your own viewpoint is ubiquitous these days. I'm not trying to change anyone's political viewpoint. Just describing where we are and how we got here. My personal political viewpoint probably straddles many of the views I see expressed. Some folks are in so deep they can't consider other views.
So your assumption is that anyone who is a strong conservative type will only get information from sites they agree with?

Thanks for the lecture. Now go plant some buckwheat.

b7ce2a6a52681766f1d2a65017455a14.jpg

3d9b1eb625836a773f150b35a85f89d4.jpg

9356e2874ebd28de8b7713386044159b.jpg

7f4fc89ed2c28b3bb8293ee73d21a149.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So your assumption is that anyone who is a strong conservative type will only get information from sites they agree with?
Nope. I seems to be a general trend without respect to political position.

Anytime you guys buy a new phone or computer, do any of your web browsers open to a neutral or right leaning news page? Mine never have. What way do the tech giants all lean?

Anytime you guys buy a new phone or computer, do any of your web browsers open to a neutral or right leaning news page? Mine never have. What way do the tech giants all lean?
Worse than that my home page at work is default set to Microsoft’s news feed. They are 90-10 with the links they put up.

Status
Not open for further replies.