Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya... that's foreign to me. We have destroyed the family and replaced dads with the govt when it comes to relying on a provider. But that's a whole nuther thread.

I hear you. Reliance on government...free food, free money, free college, free health care. When everything is free, there is no incentive to work. No work = no savings. Great model. If you promise free life-time hand-outs to everybody it gets you votes!

I bet a lot of them have $800 phones, cars and houses they can’t afford, cable and phone bills for $200/month, maxed out credit cards, student debt from useless majors, and too many kids to begin with. I work with a couple of these, all they do is complain about not having money and then tell you everything they buy. One has a 100k in student loans and a theater degree, a one year old and another on the way and might make 30k. Says all her friends are in the same boat. At some point you are held accountable for the choices you make. Of coarse she doesn’t think it’s fair she has to pay her student loans back.
Edit: she also shows up everyday with $10 dunking donut order and goes out for lunch.

You nailed it.

"Live beneath your means"-I was told that by my boss when I was 17. Lucky this was 2001 and a 18 year old could get a home loan easy with a few grand down payment. Those words he said really stuck, bought a house at 18 years old and haven't had a mortgage since I was 25. I can't imagine the stress levels that people must endure while living paycheck to paycheck to have the newest everything. Same boss who gave me the advise made a crap ton by purchasing stock the day after 9/11. Worked his balls off, invested smart and then died 2 days after he retired. Him dieing before 'living' also convinced me to switch profession to a trade where I can take off a few months over winter each year to 'live a little". Never know when your times up. I miss that guy dearly

I do the same “extended vacation” in the fall. Typically take 6ish weeks off in late October/November. I’m not senior enough to get a summer or holiday vacation anyways. Might as well throw them all into deer season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rates went up 4 times today...

I fall into one of the paycheck to paycheck types. I work for the small family business (just celebrated our centennial last year) and my wife is a public school teacher in a small town where half of the industry has left and environmentalists won’t let farmers expand.

To be honest I’m loving it. We haven’t had this many consecutive meals together as a family in years. Yesterday I called my mom just to chat (we don’t get along that well) today I swung by a buddies place to check up on him And look at a shed he found the other day. He hunts one of the properties boarding the property I hunt. I would normally be coaching wrestling tomorrow night but I might just go trout fishing after work or shed hunting depending on the weather. I am saving so much money on gas, food, tournament entry fees, etc. I hope it lasts for a while longer.

That's probably what the salesman at the dealership told them. Taking any advice financially from people that don't have two nickels to rub together might not be the best course of action.
One of them just sent me a text wanting to know more about the Dave Ramsey stuff. His wife works at the hospital and is pregnant. They want to let her stay home until this blows over but they cant afford it due to all the payments they have going out. I know 2 weeks ago he financed 13k on a 2005 silverado.

That’s the one thing we have going for us:

2001 Tahoe 420K miles

2001 Yukón Xlt 215K

2007 Malibu 315K

2006 G6 220K

1990 ford Ranger. Your guess is as good as mine.

Why would anyone want a car payment? It’s just A to B The only money I have put into these was mounting tires and alignments that I paid for. Everything else I did myself. Starters, alternators, tie rods, control arms, cv joints, batteries, windows, window motors, power steering, brake pads, calipers, rotors, shocks, struts, coil springs, sway bar links, bearings, exhaust work, motor mounts, radiator, and I’m sure some things I’ve missed.

Rock auto.com for most the parts (unless I’m in a hurry) shitty floor jack, sore neck, tore up knuckles, ruined cloths, minimal tools (some self fabricated) and some time.

YouTube has saved me thousands In repair bills. I have no formal training (stone worker) of mechanics. Just poor and extremely stubborn. Some things I’ve F’d up on and had to do twice (school costs) but still came out ahead.

You can’t stomp us out and you cant make us run.

Great job World Health Organization. On January 14th, you told the world there was no person to person contact from Coronavirus on the word of the Chinese communist party. Yet, shortly after that the Trump administration issued a travel ban from China to try and slow the spread. Dementia Joe thinks we should listen to the experts from the WHO and leave the borders wide open. Nothing to see here. All Trump's fault....

#Chinese Flu- Its not racist, neither is Spanish Flu, African Swine Fever, MERS (middle east respiratory syndrome)

https://www.foxnews.com/world/world...ry-tweet-china-human-transmission-coronavirus

Capture.PNG

#Kung Flu

Capture.PNG

I bet a lot of them have $800 phones, cars and houses they can’t afford, cable and phone bills for $200/month, maxed out credit cards, student debt from useless majors, and too many kids to begin with. I work with a couple of these, all they do is complain about not having money and then tell you everything they buy. One has a 100k in student loans and a theater degree, a one year old and another on the way and might make 30k. Says all her friends are in the same boat. At some point you are held accountable for the choices you make. Of coarse she doesn’t think it’s fair she has to pay her student loans back.
Edit: she also shows up everyday with $10 dunking donut order and goes out for lunch.
I'd bet my underwear from 2004 that each of those youngsters has a parent backer. They can't be that disconnected from reality without having a perpetual source of bailout for when their car breaks down, when they get a $150 doctor bill, or need a new phone. Lots of them are still on parents phone plan, getting their car insurance paid, and their parents arrange to have their taxes done.

It's frustrating from a business perspective. You may have a 30 year old standing in front of you and while trying to treat them like an adult and make a deal. You can see them freezing up, overwhelmed, knowing they need to talk to their mom or dad before they make a decision.

I'd bet my underwear from 2004 that each of those youngsters has a parent backer. They can't be that disconnected from reality without having a perpetual source of bailout for when their car breaks down, when they get a $150 doctor bill, or need a new phone. Lots of them are still on parents phone plan, getting their car insurance paid, and their parents arrange to have their taxes done.

It's frustrating from a business perspective. You may have a 30 year old standing in front of you and while trying to treat them like an adult and make a deal. You can see them freezing up, overwhelmed, knowing they need to talk to their mom or dad before they make a decision.
Yup. The helicopter parent kids are now out in the real world and it is a disaster for many of them.

I fall into one of the paycheck to paycheck types. I work for the small family business (just celebrated our centennial last year) and my wife is a public school teacher in a small town where half of the industry has left and environmentalists won’t let farmers expand.

I too fall into this category. My wife is also a public school teacher, and I am self employed. "Spare money" either gets reinvested back into the business, or into my future home I am building on my hunting land. Rather then taking out a big loan, I decided I would finance it out of pocket monthly for a few years, and pay for it as I built it. There has been a couple times I had to get a loan for the larger projects, but for the most part a few thousand per month out of pocket has gone into it. We dont have much of a reserve, but if things got really bad, I also dont have much for payments.

I am still driving a truck that I bought new in 2002, and has over 250,000 on it. I take care of it mechanically, but I use my truck for a truck, and it gets scratches, and dents, and dirty. I dont want a new truck, that I would have to feel bad when I drive through a tight spot and branches scratch it, or when I have to drive through a foot of mud. Plus the no payment thing, and cheap insurance is nice as well.

A lot of my friends are laid off now, and sitting at home, with their purse strings tight, me? Just another day. I am still planning on continuing work on my new home, spending some money to help local companies stay alive, at least those that are staying open. If my business crashes, I will be in a tough spot, but with small monthly bills, I will figure it out!

I too fall into this category. My wife is also a public school teacher, and I am self employed. "Spare money" either gets reinvested back into the business, or into my future home I am building on my hunting land. Rather then taking out a big loan, I decided I would finance it out of pocket monthly for a few years, and pay for it as I built it. There has been a couple times I had to get a loan for the larger projects, but for the most part a few thousand per month out of pocket has gone into it. We dont have much of a reserve, but if things got really bad, I also dont have much for payments.

I am still driving a truck that I bought new in 2002, and has over 250,000 on it. I take care of it mechanically, but I use my truck for a truck, and it gets scratches, and dents, and dirty. I dont want a new truck, that I would have to feel bad when I drive through a tight spot and branches scratch it, or when I have to drive through a foot of mud. Plus the no payment thing, and cheap insurance is nice as well.

A lot of my friends are laid off now, and sitting at home, with their purse strings tight, me? Just another day. I am still planning on continuing work on my new home, spending some money to help local companies stay alive, at least those that are staying open. If my business crashes, I will be in a tough spot, but with small monthly bills, I will figure it out!
We aren't closing the doors anytime soon. Our busy season is only a few weeks off and this will have little to no effect on it. We run all winter long on operating loans so we havent noticed a thing (interest is cheaper than taxes). It is a semi seasonal business and our product is in the warehouse just waiting for the rest of the frost to come out of the ground and things to dry up before we get going. We generally take 1/2 down and bill for the balance after they take delivery. Our customers for the most part are retired people that weren't going to get laid off or something like that and also a good portion of them receive and insurance check. I don't see it being much of an issue getting paid for the contracts we have unfulfilled.

No worries, govt is gonna hand out $1000 checks to every adult. Im not against it just think the timing is all wrong. Wait till the sky clears then put the jumper cables on.
They need it now because they spent all their money on toilet paper and hand sanitizer.

Yup. The helicopter parent kids are now out in the real world and it is a disaster for many of them.
I have helped my kids on occasion but they seem to do fairly well on their own so I don’t interfere financially. Now that they have Shut down most business the next step is all business. I figure that will be over the next week or so. They will be out of work. in my mind I know it’s going to be tough on them but I’m only going to step in if they need health help. This whole thing is going to be a very big wake up call to a lot of people on how they manage their lives. The generation that has lived through the Great Depression and everything since definitely have a different view of how things work than the younger generation now. But, these young people are smart. This might change a whole generations thinking and that can only be good for the future We can hope.

I have helped my kids on occasion but they seem to do fairly well on their own so I don’t interfere financially. Now that they have Shut down most business the next step is all business. I figure that will be over the next week or so. They will be out of work. in my mind I know it’s going to be tough on them but I’m only going to step in if they need health help. This whole thing is going to be a very big wake up call to a lot of people on how they manage their lives. The generation that has lived through the Great Depression and everything since definitely have a different view of how things work than the younger generation now. But, these young people are smart. This might change a whole generations thinking and that can only be good for the future We can hope.
I agree and disagree. They might be smart but it's certainly not STREET smart and that is a problem in my opinion. They know everything there is to know about video games and gender assignments at birth but if they have a flat tire they are calling someone to come running to the rescue.

I don't think we can make assumptions about young people one way or the other. Just like in previous generations, there are many who are self-sufficient and more than able to take care of themselves. There are also plenty who fit some of the stereotypes getting thrown around.

My children have benefited greatly from us not having that much disposable income. My oldest son has had a Job since he was in 8th grade. If there was something he wanted or needed he never asked us for it. He has been supporting much of himself for the past 5 years. My next oldest will be getting her license this summer and she will pretty much take the same work ethic has shown.

They have learned the value of money and have heard the word NO over and over and over. This alone is going to make them much better off than the kids that get everything they want without doing anything for it.

Yeah, I'm one of those 30 somethings but if anything I take care of my parents.... I very often get customers in there 30s and 40s whos parents pay my bill. (I'm a contractor, primarily roofing). Blows my mind really. Granted our system doesn't help adults become adults, rewarding lack of ambition and convincing most they need another 4 to 6 years of school after adulthood- learning about something they will never use anyways. Not all but alot

Status
Not open for further replies.